Disney Movie Special Features/Documentaries Question

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

shannonanne13
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Disney Movie Special Features/Documentaries Question

Post by shannonanne13 » Jun Thu 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might be able to find Disney Movie special features (you know the kind that come with your DVD) or documentaries on classic Disney movies. My 9 year old son is really enjoying watching how classic Disney movies were made. We own Alice in Wonderland (classic cartoon) and he has watched the special features DVD a few times. We have Netflix and have watched the Pixar one also.

Does anyone know of any others he can watch? Really he just loves watching the history of Disney and how it was created. If anyone knows of anything online (preferably free) or on Netflix can you point me in the direction please :)

Just trying to grow a new generation of Disney lovers in my house ;)

Thank you

Shannon
(and my son Mr. E)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Disney Movie Special Features/Documentaries Question

Post by cy1229 » Jun Thu 13, 2013 1:47 pm

shannonanne13 wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might be able to find Disney Movie special features (you know the kind that come with your DVD) or documentaries on classic Disney movies. My 9 year old son is really enjoying watching how classic Disney movies were made. We own Alice in Wonderland (classic cartoon) and he has watched the special features DVD a few times. We have Netflix and have watched the Pixar one also.

Does anyone know of any others he can watch? Really he just loves watching the history of Disney and how it was created. If anyone knows of anything online (preferably free) or on Netflix can you point me in the direction please :)

Just trying to grow a new generation of Disney lovers in my house ;)

Thank you

Shannon
(and my son Mr. E)
If you watch your TV listings, CNBC quite frequently carries a program about how Disney came to be as a company. It's the whole shebang, with the inception of Mickey Mouse allthe way through the establishing of Disney Studios and making Disneyland. I'll be a horned toad trying to remember the name of it, but it's an obvious title and they play it probably every 4 or 6 weeks.

Edit: I found it! It's called "Walt: The Man Behind the Myth" and they have an entry for it on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296273/) and I thought I saw it on Youtube.

If you check DVD's out from the library, you can watch the special features videos on those.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

shannonanne13

Post by shannonanne13 » Jun Thu 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Thank you for your quick response :) I forgot to mention we don't have cable/local channels or satellite tv. :-o I didn't think about the library having videos of that stuff. I have the summer off and library trips are on my list of things we shall be doing.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Fri 14, 2013 4:37 pm

You can go to Amazon as well to look for those documentaries and they will usually give you suggestions for related videos/movies. I love watching old Disney documentaries on Walt, the company, and so on. I have watched quite a few documentaries because one led me to another. You should definitely check out "Walt: The Man Behind The Myth" that cy1229 mentioned. It was very well done and Amazon should be able to give you other suggestions based on that one.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)