Monsters University!

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Monsters University!

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 25, 2013 9:48 pm

princessinwaiting wrote:I liked Monster University, but I just felt it needed more, everything just a little more extreme.
And I loved The Blue Umbrella!!! It was so cute and now I've seen Make Mine Music, it really reminded me of Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet! So sweet! And I'm going to have to buy matching wellies and umbrella in case I meet another umbrella to fall in love with :)
Awww, and those wellies and umbrella will come in handy once you start your work as a princess in Florida ;) :lol:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Nov Mon 04, 2013 2:37 pm

We never did make it to the theater to see MU. Hubby bought it on DVD over the weekend, and we watched it Saturday. I have to say, I'm glad we didn't spend $10 apiece plus snacks (it costs us about $100 for the 4 of us to see a movie and have popcorn and soda! :shock: :shock: ) to see this in the theater. I was right... I still like the original best. I think what I didn't like was the lack of imagination. It was essentially the same formula as you would find in any college comedy film, including but not limited to "Revenge of the Nerds." Underdog competes against popular jock types on campus, is about to lose, rallies from within to defeat the bad guys, there's a plot twist near the end, and they all live happily ever after. The original Monsters, Inc. was SO MUCH MORE imaginative. This one just let me down. We own every Pixar movie on DVD, many on Blu-ray, so this is going to have a place in our collection, but it isn't even in my top 10 of Pixar films.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Mon 04, 2013 2:48 pm

I got to watch it this weekend as the family I was babysitting for had bought it for the kids to watch. I thought it was cute, and there were a few moments that were truly laugh out loud funny, but I would have to agree with your opinion cy1229 that the plot was fairly standard issue. The kids thought it was ok, but didn't think it was better than the original either.

snomasnayr
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by snomasnayr » Nov Tue 05, 2013 5:19 pm

I just thought, what message is Pixar sending kids?

It's okay break the rules, do dangerous stuff, and get kicked out of college because you'll be all right in the end... you'll just become the CEO of a major company or something.

I know that's not what they're saying (I hope), but it is still kind of funny.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Wed 06, 2013 7:59 pm

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a bit... what do we learn from the following movies:

Aladdin: Stealing is ok because you'll meet a princess and be made sultan (kind of the "flip side" of "Pretty Woman")

Mulan: Breaking the law and running away is ok if you do it for the right reasons

Lilo and Stitch: Oh don't get me started on that one.

Emperor's New Groove: If you're rude, you're cool, and if you're nice, you're not cool

Wall-E: If we just invent the right machines, they'll take care of all of our stupid choices, and we won't have to be held responsible for the crap we're doing to the planet

Snow White: B&E is ok as long as you clean up and cook dinner

I'm sure there are more, but you get my point. To be fair, when my girls were little, I didn't let them watch movies that would give them the wrong idea, so we avoided Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch. I never let them see "Pocahontas" because for cryin' out loud, she was a REAL person, and they got the story so wrong it's laughable. Now that the girls are 15 and almost 19, I don't worry so much. It's all dependent upon what you want your kids to see or not see as parents. I agree, that message is pretty lousy, but no more lousy than the others I've listed here.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Nov Fri 08, 2013 4:54 pm

cy1229 wrote:Allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a bit... what do we learn from the following movies:

Aladdin: Stealing is ok because you'll meet a princess and be made sultan (kind of the "flip side" of "Pretty Woman")

Mulan: Breaking the law and running away is ok if you do it for the right reasons

Lilo and Stitch: Oh don't get me started on that one.

Emperor's New Groove: If you're rude, you're cool, and if you're nice, you're not cool

Wall-E: If we just invent the right machines, they'll take care of all of our stupid choices, and we won't have to be held responsible for the crap we're doing to the planet

Snow White: B&E is ok as long as you clean up and cook dinner

I'm sure there are more, but you get my point. To be fair, when my girls were little, I didn't let them watch movies that would give them the wrong idea, so we avoided Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch. I never let them see "Pocahontas" because for cryin' out loud, she was a REAL person, and they got the story so wrong it's laughable. Now that the girls are 15 and almost 19, I don't worry so much. It's all dependent upon what you want your kids to see or not see as parents. I agree, that message is pretty lousy, but no more lousy than the others I've listed here.
I know kids are supposed to be smarter nowadays but do they REALLY see all those things in these type of films. Don't they just watch them because there fun, cute, colourful, simple entertainment :?:
Princessinwaiting is 20 now and her sister 23. I don't recall exercising anything more than the obvious parental control when they were little. We did have to ration the eldest watching "Andy Pandy" as she was in tears when he waved goodbye at the end of the programme :( She has survived and they have both turned out fine :) (Proud Dad :wink: )
Maybe I'm getting too old, but yes Monsters University could have been better (see earlier post) but it was fun :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Fri 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Taking my friends' kids to see MU at the cheap theater tomorrow. Guess I will get to see it twice in just two weeks!

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Nov Sat 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Still in my Netflix Queue!!! :goofy: :oops:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Twice is enough for awhile. I was disappointed today in the quality of the film at the theater. It was dark and a little scratchy compared to having watched it on DVD last weekend. My friends' kids loved it though so I was happy to have been able to take them :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Sat 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Gotta Redbox this one! Maybe tomorrow, b/c I'm sure after round 2 with the yard, bdude and I won't be moving around much in the evening!

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Nov Sat 16, 2013 8:46 am

boilerbabe wrote:Gotta Redbox this one! Maybe tomorrow, b/c I'm sure after round 2 with the yard, bdude and I won't be moving around much in the evening!

Advil and shot of Crown will do the trick!!!! :D :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 16, 2013 11:36 am

I saw some cute MU pants today at the store. Sadly I do not need anymore pj pants at the moment...but maybe I will when they go on clearance :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Sat 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Goofyfan wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:Gotta Redbox this one! Maybe tomorrow, b/c I'm sure after round 2 with the yard, bdude and I won't be moving around much in the evening!

Advil and shot of Crown will do the trick!!!! :D :goofy:

:lol: Not even that helps after a day in our yard clearing leaves! Still need to see this flick!