Monsters University!

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Chells
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Re: Monsters University!

Post by Chells » Jun Mon 24, 2013 8:26 am

I loved the movie. What I didn't love was how incredibly loud the audio was. I could have done without the 30 minutes of previews as well. With that said, we really enjoyed the movie!

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Mon 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Just saw the movie and I honestly thought it was an average movie. I was impressed with the monster designs in the film. I enjoyed Monsters Inc. because of a great premise and clever dialogue. MU abandons much of the concept and decides to take the "Revenge of the Nerds" knockoff. Helen Mirren's voice talent as the dean is wasted on mostly expository dialogue instead of witty remarks that adults would enjoy.

The last 20 minutes or so of the film has a totally different tone than the rest. It feels like Pixar just threw it in there at the last minute.

After Pixar was acquired by Disney, it seems that Pixar's aim is to make a ton of money with each film. I don't think anything is wrong with that. However, this aim was never true when Pixar was reinventing feature animation years ago.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Mon 24, 2013 2:12 pm

There seems to be a wide range of reviews here... Good, bad, too long, just right, bad umbrella, good umbrella!! :shock:
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

dsnymommy
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by dsnymommy » Jun Mon 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Len90 wrote:
Amy wrote:Another question out of curiosity ~ did your professor read from a script for your class?
No. Pretty much just followed the TV screen. The CM who played the professor tried to be personable.

I can't believe that I missed this. Apparently I haven't been watching my email closely enough. I would have loved to do this with the kids.

For those that have seen it, any food suggestions? I'm looking to do a whole day based around MU before we see the film. Including a rewatch of MI. Any food tidbits that stood out for you? Or activities?

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Mon 24, 2013 3:59 pm

dsnymommy wrote:

For those that have seen it, any food suggestions? I'm looking to do a whole day based around MU before we see the film. Including a rewatch of MI. Any food tidbits that stood out for you? Or activities?
You can have some cupcakes. In the movie there are some cupcakes that are decorated with a face on top. The face had eyes, glasses, and a smile.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Mon 24, 2013 6:05 pm

dsnymommy wrote:
Len90 wrote:
Amy wrote:Another question out of curiosity ~ did your professor read from a script for your class?
No. Pretty much just followed the TV screen. The CM who played the professor tried to be personable.

I can't believe that I missed this. Apparently I haven't been watching my email closely enough. I would have loved to do this with the kids.

I think Disney Stores are running the scare class again this weekend at 10:30, 11:30, and 12:30.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Metalfan » Jun Wed 26, 2013 10:07 am

Really can't wait to see the movie!! Haven't been able to get out there yet but will be doing it this weekend or next!

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by rusafee1183 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 6:01 pm

I think we are going this weekend! Woohooo!

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jun Wed 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Is it bad that I still need to see Brave?

I think we are going to MU this weekend as well!
-Club33Hopeful

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 26, 2013 8:10 pm

cousininmiami wrote:There seems to be a wide range of reviews here... Good, bad, too long, just right, bad umbrella, good umbrella!! :shock:
:lol: I was thinking the same thing! :lol:
Len90 wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:I can't believe that I missed this. Apparently I haven't been watching my email closely enough. I would have loved to do this with the kids.

I think Disney Stores are running the scare class again this weekend at 10:30, 11:30, and 12:30.
I just checked online and the Saturday classes are running through the weekend and the weeknight classes are going through 6/30. You should call your local store dsnymommy to find out times and dates. Maybe you can work it in with the rest of your MU day ~ great idea including some fun foods! :D

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Aug Mon 12, 2013 3:40 pm

I have seen MU at last, remember we are a bit behind you this side of the pond.
Thought it was pretty good overall but felt that it would have been funnier. I think the trailers led me to think this. Nice to see lots of links to Monsters Inc.
As an hour and half entertainment for the kids you can't complain, sometimes you just have to stop being grown up and watch with younger eyes :ccat:

I do agree that the Blue Umbrella was disappointing when compared to previous Pixar shorts.

Hands up anyone who did not stay to the end of the credits?

You failed! :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 12, 2013 8:48 pm

I am Sulley wrote:I have seen MU at last, remember we are a bit behind you this side of the pond.
Thought it was pretty good overall but felt that it would have been funnier. I think the trailers led me to think this. Nice to see lots of links to Monsters Inc.
As an hour and half entertainment for the kids you can't complain, sometimes you just have to stop being grown up and watch with younger eyes :ccat:

I do agree that the Blue Umbrella was disappointing when compared to previous Pixar shorts.

Hands up anyone who did not stay to the end of the credits?

You failed! :lol:
Thanks for the heads up on staying through the end of the credits. I haven't seen MU yet. Waiting for it to make it to the cheap theater and then my friends' kids want me to take them ~ the 15 year is leading the charge on that one :lol:
I received my Mike pillowcase today that was offered as a promotion with Kelloggs. It only "cost" 4 MU box tops, there was no charge for shipping, and it is really nice! I will try to get a photo up in the next day or so :D

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Sun 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Lots of different reviews.. Will have to wait and see. Netlix Queue. :goofy:

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Wed 21, 2013 9:49 am

Goofyfan wrote:Lots of different reviews.. Will have to wait and see. Netlix Queue. :goofy:
Me too, am waiting to buy it.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

princessinwaiting
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by princessinwaiting » Aug Sun 25, 2013 1:51 pm

I liked Monster University, but I just felt it needed more, everything just a little more extreme.
And I loved The Blue Umbrella!!! It was so cute and now I've seen Make Mine Music, it really reminded me of Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet! So sweet! And I'm going to have to buy matching wellies and umbrella in case I meet another umbrella to fall in love with :)