Escape From Tomorrow: Filmed secretly at WDW/DLR

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Escape From Tomorrow: Filmed secretly at WDW/DLR

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 15, 2013 9:04 am

theBIGyowski wrote:A friend of mine watched it. He said other than the fact that it was filmed at WDW without permission...there is no real draw to the movie. He also said the plot was thin and the characters weren't very well-developed. So...the only real reason people will watch it is the taboo nature in which it was filmed.
Actually, I don't think this is the first time someone has done this at WDW. A lot of film students do this kind of thing. The term I have heard in the past for it was "guerrilla filmmaking".

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Tue 15, 2013 10:56 am

Alright I watched the movie last night and I thought it was good, but very bizarre. It's kind of hard to describe the type of film because the film is not a conventional or mainstream horror film, but it's also not entirely experimental film either. I would say it's an interesting mixture of both. The decision to go black and white for that noir effect was actually perfect for this kind of movie. The soundtrack was actually very good as well. The filmmakers couldn't use authentic music from the rides, so new music was made for each attraction shown.

The acting isn't that great on the other hand. The father does an alright job, but the mother came off very annoying to me. The story-line is a bit far-fetched, especially around the last 30 minutes. However, it is fun to follow and I was eager to see what happened next. The story-line reminds me bit of The Shining with elements of a David Lynch experimental film. The film also manages to be funny at times with its dark humor. There is a bit of nudity in the movie which I wasn't expecting.

Overall I would recommend it for those who want to see something truly uneasy without being too graphic.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Tue 15, 2013 3:22 pm

mindflipper wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:A friend of mine watched it. He said other than the fact that it was filmed at WDW without permission...there is no real draw to the movie. He also said the plot was thin and the characters weren't very well-developed. So...the only real reason people will watch it is the taboo nature in which it was filmed.
Actually, I don't think this is the first time someone has done this at WDW. A lot of film students do this kind of thing. The term I have heard in the past for it was "guerrilla filmmaking".
I think the only reason most people heard of it is the same way the rent-a-handicapped service got attention, through blog posts about it.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Wed 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:Alright I watched the movie last night and I thought it was good, but very bizarre. It's kind of hard to describe the type of film because the film is not a conventional or mainstream horror film, but it's also not entirely experimental film either. I would say it's an interesting mixture of both. The decision to go black and white for that noir effect was actually perfect for this kind of movie. The soundtrack was actually very good as well. The filmmakers couldn't use authentic music from the rides, so new music was made for each attraction shown.

The acting isn't that great on the other hand. The father does an alright job, but the mother came off very annoying to me. The story-line is a bit far-fetched, especially around the last 30 minutes. However, it is fun to follow and I was eager to see what happened next. The story-line reminds me bit of The Shining with elements of a David Lynch experimental film. The film also manages to be funny at times with its dark humor. There is a bit of nudity in the movie which I wasn't expecting.

Overall I would recommend it for those who want to see something truly uneasy without being too graphic.
I had a feeling it would flirt with the Kubrick style of horror...just based on the premise and the trailer.

my only hesitation in watching the movie would be the fear of feeling like I would need to finish the movie if I wasn't enjoying it

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Disney announced today they will not be going after the filmmaker, under the guise that they do not wish to bring any further attention to him. This being after major reviewers have reviewed said film and it is released on Netflix. Unless they are worried about it beating them out for awards, there is no where else for him to get attention.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Oct Tue 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Will have to look for it on Netfilx. :goofy:

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Nov Thu 21, 2013 10:59 am

Goofyfan wrote:Will have to look for it on Netfilx. :goofy:
Me too! I was wondering how/where it would be released, but if it is on Netfilx, I'll definitely give it a shot!

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by wxwiz » Nov Fri 22, 2013 5:25 pm

I believe it's on Amazon streaming but not Netflix yet.