Wreck it Ralph

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

snomasnayr
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Wreck it Ralph

Post by snomasnayr » Dec Sat 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Has anyone seen the movie yet, and if you have, was it any good?
I wanted to know before I spent a lot of money (compared to "waiting it out" to get it at Redbox) to see something I might not like.

Thanks.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Wreck it Ralph

Post by NaCler » Dec Sat 08, 2012 8:09 pm

It was very good. Started out a little slow, but it really has a great moral and a cool story. The paper man short before it was ok. I didn't get the hype with that one. Spend the money, but it doesn't need the 3D, so skip that.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sat 08, 2012 9:57 pm

I didn't know it was still in theaters, that is somewhat surprising. After checking local showtimes it's already gone here.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Dec Sat 08, 2012 10:04 pm

It's still playing multiple times a day here. It will probably be gone any day now, but it's still here.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sat 08, 2012 11:09 pm

That is weird... you would think it would have enough juice to stay for the vacation time coming in a few weeks. I once tried to go to the movies during the week between christmas and new years and the line was so massive (normally you can just walk up or wait in a 3 person line) that I had to use fandango.

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Dec Mon 10, 2012 10:32 am

NaCler wrote:It was very good. Started out a little slow, but it really has a great moral and a cool story. The paper man short before it was ok. I didn't get the hype with that one. Spend the money, but it doesn't need the 3D, so skip that.
I don't do the 3D stuff anyway. It's usually over-priced and the benefit is that you can get a kick out of some cheesy 3D gag. I didn't even know Wreck it Ralph was available in 3D.
Still, my family has six people in it. We could probably wait and buy the DVD 2 or 3 times for the cost it would be for all of us to go see a movie.

On the short film thing, is Disney now copying Pixar's tradition of putting a short-film before the movie? I know Disney owns Pixar, but that still seems a little odd.

Thanks for the help.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Mon 10, 2012 10:04 pm

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Dec Mon 10, 2012 11:05 pm

I guess Disney beat 'em to it. I stand corrected. Still, Pixar does seem to be more consistent in putting short-films before the movie.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that the short-films are going down hill?
They were all fairly good until after Presto (one of the funniest ones).
Probably the worst one, in my opinion, was the one packaged with Toy Story 3. It was terrible...
The one with Brave was pretty bad too.

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Dec Tue 11, 2012 5:38 am

I wasn't really interested in this movie, but generally the trailers Disney cranks out make the movies look like duds (to me), and then once I actually see the movie, I end up pleasantly surprised. So I am aiming to finally go see this sometime this week. Will post my thoughts once I do.

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Dec Tue 11, 2012 10:32 am

SorcererDonald16 wrote:I wasn't really interested in this movie, but generally the trailers Disney cranks out make the movies look like duds (to me), and then once I actually see the movie, I end up pleasantly surprised. So I am aiming to finally go see this sometime this week. Will post my thoughts once I do.
I guess Disney decided on the "aim low and avoid disappointment" tactic in their advertising. I remember watching the previews for Wall-e. The movie looked so cool, sort of. A story about a robot, the diner... all neat. I finally saw the movie and was very let down :( . Wall-e has grown on me a little bit, though. Really the only reason to see the movie in theaters might have been to see Presto, but that could wait till the DVD release.

If I go see Wreck it Ralph, maybe I'll post my thoughts.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Tue 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Not really, it's more related to the key demo being 12 year olds for the movie. When you aim for adults you get 1-2 ticket sales in each party, when you aim for kids you can get more since they need adults, their friends, etc.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Dec Wed 12, 2012 11:00 am

I am very excited to see this movie...will definitely be getting it on Blu-Ray (probably 3D if DW will let me).

Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I have heard this movie does a great job of helping you relive your childhood by way of video game characters.

Speaking of Disney Shorts...I still remember the Roger Rabbit short that was played before Honey, I Shrunk the Kids when I saw it in theaters.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Dec Wed 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Not really, it's more related to the key demo being 12 year olds for the movie. When you aim for adults you get 1-2 ticket sales in each party, when you aim for kids you can get more since they need adults, their friends, etc.
Ahh... That makes sense. I wonder why I didn't think of that :goofy_bounce:

I think it'll be cool to see the old video game characters in it, though.

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by wxwiz » Feb Sun 10, 2013 2:17 am

Any news when it will be released to DVD?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 10, 2013 11:52 am

http://bit.ly/XwchHC
:D

Actually, you will be able to view it at home starting Tuesday, as the digital version will be released then.