Disney Movies Online Closing

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Disney Movies Online Closing

Post by Len90 » Nov Sat 24, 2012 1:49 am

I had received an email about this and thought it was spam. Logged on tonight to find out this was actually not the case. Disney Movies Online will be closing and taken down on December 31. As a result you will no longer be able to watch any movies you have bought online through Disney Movies Online or have unlocked through your Disney Movie Rewards codes on select Disney movie combo packs. Digital copies of movies from the combo packs can now only be watched if you physically insert the disc into your computer and transfer it into iTunes.

For me it is a tough loss as I would sometimes enjoy watching a Disney movie on my computer randomly when I had a layover at college. It would be a great way to pass the time if I had no work or just wanted to de-stress during a tough day.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Disney Movies Online Closing

Post by NaCler » Nov Sat 24, 2012 8:15 am

I saw an article about this recently and thought about posting it but didn't. Thank you for reminding me Len. This is rumored to be making a move to another site by Disney that will turn every Disney movie purchase into a completely digital experience. IN layman's terms, if you buy a Disney movie in a store or online, you will then be magically able to watch it anywhere on your phone/iPad, etc... I'll see if I can find the article again.

EDIT: Found the story. http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-mov ... nch-58591/

Good news is at the end of the article where it states that prior purchases on the Disney Movies Online site may be refunded if requested.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 24, 2012 9:21 am

Hmmm, not sure about this. I don't watch a lot of Disney movies (ducking the shoe throwing and booing) or any movies for that matter. This new technology...does it require a subscription fee? Or will people just be eating up their data allowances while watching a full length movie on their mobile devices? Not sure I would use it, but maybe in the future. I can see where it would be nice for parents with bored children out running errands or something. Or like Len said, killing a little down time on campus.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sat 24, 2012 11:58 am

Boom! This is also going to be an example of what happens when a company closes up shop on a digital distro system. Their DRM doesn't work anymore so your purchases are impacted.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 25, 2012 2:58 pm

We rented a few movies last night and one of them had a commercial for the new DSAA service...still don't think it will be utilized by me any time soon...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sun 25, 2012 3:17 pm

You're actually the perfect demographic for it, considering you have a lot of downtime spent waiting on people to show up and a smart phone. I wonder if part of the reason they were giving refunds vs transfering purchases is that they couldn't do it cleanly or if the prices are going to be higher/different?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:You're actually the perfect demographic for it, considering you have a lot of downtime spent waiting on people to show up and a smart phone. I wonder if part of the reason they were giving refunds vs transfering purchases is that they couldn't do it cleanly or if the prices are going to be higher/different?
I do inevitably have downtime, but I don't know that I would want to try to watch a movie 5-10 minutes at a time :roll:
I'm with you on wondering why they are doing the refunds. Thinking it is easier and quicker to refund money and then charge when you start up the service.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sun 25, 2012 4:35 pm

That and it may also cost less if you take into account it isn't an automatic refund so you need to contact them.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Sun 25, 2012 7:46 pm

That, that, and also the bad P.R. if they charged for a movie just a few weeks ago.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016