Is Song of the South Racist "for real" Racist?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Is Song of the South Racist "for real" Racist?

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sat 03, 2012 12:41 pm

The big reason why it probably isn't in this discussion is that a different movie company produced it and they weren't marketing it as a children's film. That being said, there are people who do have a problem with the depiction of slaves in that movie as well since they play up the mammy sterotype and the lazy sterotype.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Nov Wed 07, 2012 7:56 am

cousininmiami wrote:Geeez, I just read this whole thread. I really don't get it, why isn't Gone With The Wind in the same category? But the best take away from this thread is IMHO... I guess I am really out of the loop in today's world. :oops:
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

The funny thing is that rarely are IMHO's humble. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

snomasnayr
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by snomasnayr » Nov Wed 07, 2012 9:38 am

cousininmiami wrote:Geeez, I just read this whole thread. I really don't get it, why isn't Gone With The Wind in the same category? But the best take away from this thread is IMHO... I guess I am really out of the loop in today's world. :oops:
Hmm... Gone With The Wind. I'd have to see it again, WAIT! I think I just remembered a scene from one of the battles where a freed slave helps his old master or something. It's been a while since I've seen the movie. You do have a good point, though. If you don't mind, how are you "out of the loop"?
If it's just you didn't know (or care to know) that some people consider Song of the South racist, you don't have to respond if you don't want to.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Nov Thu 08, 2012 11:00 am

snomasnayr wrote:
Hmm... Gone With The Wind. I'd have to see it again, WAIT! I think I just remembered a scene from one of the battles where a freed slave helps his old master or something. It's been a while since I've seen the movie. You do have a good point, though. If you don't mind, how are you "out of the loop"?
If it's just you didn't know (or care to know) that some people consider Song of the South racist, you don't have to respond if you don't want to.
Nope, you missed my out of the loop comment. The "out of the loop" comment is meant out of the loop for acronyms such as IMHO. I just found this to be funny and cute. I only just recently learned that SMH means shaking my head. So, that is why I am "out of the loop". I do however take offense that anyone could imagine that I am that stupid to not understand that Song of the South is racist! SMH
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Nov Fri 09, 2012 9:48 am

cousininmiami wrote:
snomasnayr wrote:
Nope, you missed my out of the loop comment. The "out of the loop" comment is meant out of the loop for acronyms such as IMHO. I just found this to be funny and cute. I only just recently learned that SMH means shaking my head. So, that is why I am "out of the loop". I do however take offense that anyone could imagine that I am that stupid to not understand that Song of the South is racist! SMH
OHH... I guess I did miss your comment. :oops:

I don't care to much for the acronym things in texting. I think I've said in an earlier post in this forum, I like to take advantage of my full keyboard, whether it's on my phone or on my computer.

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Nov Fri 09, 2012 10:02 am

It's ok... :) we're cool 8-)
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Fri 09, 2012 8:27 pm

cousininmiami wrote:It's ok... :) we're cool 8-)
IMHO, I'm SMH that you didn't know.

KNWIM?

G2G

BRB.

Buhbye!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Fri 09, 2012 9:31 pm

cy1229 wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:It's ok... :) we're cool 8-)
IMHO, I'm SMH that you didn't know.
KNWIM?
G2G
BRB.
Buhbye!
Uh-oh ~ cousininmiami might be comin' after you with MmeLeota's instrument of torture! :shock: ;)

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Nov Sat 10, 2012 10:37 am

Ok so.... G2G = good to go?? :)

BRB = be right back?? :)

KNWIM = hummmmmmm, maybe..... Knitting Now Wait I'm Married?? :shock:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 10, 2012 4:40 pm

cousininmiami wrote:Ok so.... G2G = good to go?? :)

:lol: You are joking right? You have teenaged children ~ surely they text you sometimes!
g2g is got to go, and KNWIM is know what I mean (I think) Although I like yours better ;)
People probably really don't like me because I text using full words. It doesn't take any longer to type it out for me, and then there is no reason for misunderstandings :D

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Nov Sat 10, 2012 4:43 pm

This happens to be one of the old Disney classic films that I have yet to see. I've always wanted to because of all the great music. If it depicts life as it was when it was made I suppose there could be some content that could be considered racist. You could consider Gone with the Wind racist in the same way I suppose with the way African Americans were treated in that era. Have to just see it for my self I guess. :mickey:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Mon 12, 2012 10:44 am

Amy wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:Ok so.... G2G = good to go?? :)

:lol: You are joking right? You have teenaged children ~ surely they text you sometimes!
g2g is got to go, and KNWIM is know what I mean (I think) Although I like yours better ;)
People probably really don't like me because I text using full words. It doesn't take any longer to type it out for me, and then there is no reason for misunderstandings :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: cousininmiami you made me laugh HARD! THanks! I needed that!

Amy is right about all of those. There are more, but I don't know them. I'm with Amy, I use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation when I text, tweet, post to Facebook, and e-mail. Most of the time, anyway. I have very strong feelings about spelling, punctuation, and grammar being as correct as possible as often as possible. Call me Nerd. :mrgreen:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 12, 2012 4:12 pm

I don't either of these movies are racist, but then again I've know other Italians who thought the Marx Brother's Chico was insulting. You take away from it with what you think. I guess I'm not that easily offended, I have lived in the south for well over 30 years.

With the texting thing, I don't. It's more a matter of looking at a .9 by .6 inch screen then anything else. I get back at my boys by using my $10 words!! WORD POWER is fun as a TOOL for EVIL!!! :twisted: :lol: 8-) :D :roll: :wink: :wink:
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Nov Mon 12, 2012 5:47 pm

cy1229 wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: cousininmiami you made me laugh HARD! THanks! I needed that!

Amy is right about all of those. There are more, but I don't know them. I'm with Amy, I use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation when I text, tweet, post to Facebook, and e-mail. Most of the time, anyway. I have very strong feelings about spelling, punctuation, and grammar being as correct as possible as often as possible. Call me Nerd. :mrgreen:
:lol: Nerd. :lol:

I'm kidding. I like proper spelling (easier with a spell check program), grammar, and proper punctuation. I try to practice these whenever I know the rules.

Here's a new acronym I stole from a comic (to be used after someone types "lol"): IHTOASMTIATCOTYHABYWABOL

If you've read this comic and know what this means, please don't respond with the answer. Happy guessing.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Mon 12, 2012 9:07 pm

That's the sound people make when they watch 2 girls one cup.