Is Song of the South Racist "for real" Racist?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

snomasnayr
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Is Song of the South Racist "for real" Racist?

Post by snomasnayr » Oct Mon 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Before I continue, I want to say a few things:
1) I do not consider myself racist
2) I do not encourage or endorse racism
3) I apologize in advance if this post hurts anyone's feelings, this is not my intention (plus why would I hurt a stranger's feelings? :? )

I was wondering if there was any "real" racism in the "Song of the South" or if people are just a little bit squeamish when it comes to this movie.
If there is not any "real" racism in SOS, wouldn't it be unfair for the black actors and actresses in the film for the movie to not be sold and isn't this just more of a happy Disney reflection of this sad point in US history than a racist movie?
Anyways, according to Wikipedia's article on "Song of the South," "The Disney Company has stated that, like Harris' book, the film takes place after the American Civil War and that all the African American characters in the movie are no longer slaves."

My opinion (probably not worth much) is that what little racism there may be in the film is not worth all the trouble and controversy that has been raised, and I feel that it's not fair to the black actors and actresses in the film for it to not be sold. I guess my question boils down to this, is the racism, imagined or real, in the film worth Disney's not selling?

Just curious about how you guys and gals feel about this film. :hatter_bounce:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Is Song of the South Racist "for real" Racist?

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Mon 15, 2012 8:00 pm

People will find what they want were they want. No, I don't believe SOS is racist.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Considering the benefits are far out-weighed by the costs (and this is before any bad press) they probably won't be letting it out any time soon, if ever. The big problem is that slave or "ex-slave" he was still property and had fewer rights than his white counterparts. The big issue that is taken is that they act like (if the movie wants to claim post Civil war times) is that they do not touch on any of the reality and just lie about how things were for black people.

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Oct Tue 16, 2012 6:18 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Considering the benefits are far out-weighed by the costs (and this is before any bad press) they probably won't be letting it out any time soon, if ever. The big problem is that slave or "ex-slave" he was still property and had fewer rights than his white counterparts. The big issue that is taken is that they act like (if the movie wants to claim post Civil war times) is that they do not touch on any of the reality and just lie about how things were for black people.
Yeah, that's why I thought it might just be a happy Disney Reflection. What I also took away from Wikipedia is that the film was based on a book. I'm gonna have to read the book to see if it was "racist" or not. Maybe the book holds some answers to this.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 16, 2012 9:50 am

Please remember that Disney adaptations rarely ever adopt 100% of the original source material. The characters, over-all story-line maybe, and some key situations in the plot perhaps, but largely the Disney version tends to be different than the original story. The same would probably be said for Song of the South as well...

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Tue 16, 2012 10:59 am

snomasnayr wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Considering the benefits are far out-weighed by the costs (and this is before any bad press) they probably won't be letting it out any time soon, if ever. The big problem is that slave or "ex-slave" he was still property and had fewer rights than his white counterparts. The big issue that is taken is that they act like (if the movie wants to claim post Civil war times) is that they do not touch on any of the reality and just lie about how things were for black people.
Yeah, that's why I thought it might just be a happy Disney Reflection. What I also took away from Wikipedia is that the film was based on a book. I'm gonna have to read the book to see if it was "racist" or not. Maybe the book holds some answers to this.
My boys are not allowed to use Wikipedia as a reference. User can change the info at will. It's not (IMHO) a reliable source.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Tue 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Sadly, you are behind the times, now academic orgs have realized there is no way to win so they now request that their members go and make sure they have their info correct.

Now regarding Disney modifying the story, in this case the core was still that Uncle remus was/is a slave, so the only thing they did was just not talk about it.

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Oct Tue 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Jacca5660 wrote: My boys are not allowed to use Wikipedia as a reference. User can change the info at will. It's not (IMHO) a reliable source.
Hmm... I guess I'll have to see if I can find something outside of Wikipedia then. I didn't think about not using Wikipedia because it's just so easy to use :roll: . I'll have to note that for later.

By the way, forgive me if it's obvious, what's IMHO?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Tue 16, 2012 11:05 pm

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Wed 17, 2012 2:36 pm

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion (popular texting abbereviation like LOL)

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Oct Sat 20, 2012 12:10 pm

mindflipper wrote:IMHO - In My Humble Opinion (popular texting abbereviation like LOL)
Oh... I don't text enough to know all the texting abbreviations. If I did know them, I dunno if I'd use them on a forum like this when I have a full keyboard at my dispense. I'm glad I learned something new, though.

Thanks. :hatter_bounce:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Sun 28, 2012 7:25 am

First of all, Wikipedia is still not allowable as an academic source when using citations in a published work (research paper etc.). It's a good place to start, but I always told my students, and now tell my own kids, to just scroll down to the reference list for academic sources.

Second, it's pretty hard for a film to be racist, because racism is a set of actions based on a biased opinion. I think the issue is whether the film is offensive and perpetuates bad stereotypes or ideas. And I think that the film WAS a perpetuation of things people were trying to get rid of, but that is no longer the case. Sure, it's a seriously sugar-coated depiction of how life was in the South, but it still shows negative stereotypes and discrimination, and therefore could be a good teaching tool, in between enjoying the basic plot line and Uncle Remus' stories. :)

I think it also does a great job of showing that kids are not inherently bigoted, but that they learn those opinions from the adults around them.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 28, 2012 9:09 am

cy1229 wrote:First of all, Wikipedia is still not allowable as an academic source when using citations in a published work (research paper etc.). It's a good place to start, but I always told my students, and now tell my own kids, to just scroll down to the reference list for academic sources.

Second, it's pretty hard for a film to be racist, because racism is a set of actions based on a biased opinion. I think the issue is whether the film is offensive and perpetuates bad stereotypes or ideas. And I think that the film WAS a perpetuation of things people were trying to get rid of, but that is no longer the case. Sure, it's a seriously sugar-coated depiction of how life was in the South, but it still shows negative stereotypes and discrimination, and therefore could be a good teaching tool, in between enjoying the basic plot line and Uncle Remus' stories. :)

I think it also does a great job of showing that kids are not inherently bigoted, but that they learn those opinions from the adults around them.
Well said cy1229. I still remember mentioning something to one of my piano students. (Her parents are both Korean and another family I teach has a Korean Mom. The two families know one another and the kids play together although they go to different schools.) Anyhow, I made a comment about how they are both Korean and they replied, "They're Korean?!" Kids don't look at skin color or race or anything beyond whether boys or girls have cooties ~ if they are in that stage :roll: It's too bad more adults can't do the same.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sun 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Yeah... no...

I am sure the response to the "Innocence of Muslims" is totally unrelated to the content of the film. Perhaps they had an issue with the score or the cinematography. It is quite easy for a film to be racist, unless you mean it's not possible for a film to be judgle a person based on their skintone and deny them equal rights, then you would be correct. Since it is an object not a person.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Nov Sat 03, 2012 8:18 am

Geeez, I just read this whole thread. I really don't get it, why isn't Gone With The Wind in the same category? But the best take away from this thread is IMHO... I guess I am really out of the loop in today's world. :oops:
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°