Okay now Disney 3-D is getting ridiculous

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Okay now Disney 3-D is getting ridiculous

Post by mindflipper » Feb Mon 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Star Tours is digital projection, not a film projection, so the 3D is different.

And you're right, Wiz, they will continue to charge whether you bring your own pair of 3D glasses.

As for TV's, they seem to be cooling on the 3D stuff now and now the new big "hot thing" with TV's is to make them andriod compatible so you can download smartphone apps and use them on your TV. The TV manufacturers are working on 3D HD TV's that will work WITHOUT the glasses.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Mon 06, 2012 11:53 pm

They have been working in two oddly different directions, "smart" televisions with wifi and other features that don't seem very remarkable, and 3D.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Tue 07, 2012 12:07 am

Wizzard419 wrote:They have been working in two oddly different directions, "smart" televisions with wifi and other features that don't seem very remarkable, and 3D.
Just depends what gimmick is the "flavor of the month" ("Wow!" today, "Big Deal..." tomorrow)...

DemonOfMusic
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DemonOfMusic » Feb Sat 11, 2012 9:27 am

I think this is probably more Hollywood's doing than Disney's. I don't complain because it's great to get to see all my old favorite movies again, and with any luck, it will help introduce them to the younger generation (who I've been worried for ever since I watched a few hours of Disney Channel last month while babysitting. Good God). And come on, you know Finding Nemo will look really cool in 3-D.
"They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway..."

The only two places I will ever need to be are Manhattan and Disney World.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 12, 2012 9:47 pm

But Disney is hollywood, so yeah... they still drive the production.

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Mar Sun 18, 2012 5:46 am

momeja wrote:
SorcererDonald16 wrote:
momeja wrote:I'll be the voice of a different opinion here: I honestly don't care whether they're in 3D, 2D or something else entirely. The opportunity to see these films on the big screen and in a movie theatre again is priceless to me, and I'll happily pay to see every single one.
That's how I feel too.

Then again, here movie prices Monday-Thursday are $5 for regular format movies, and $10 for 3D movies. If I were in a more expensive movie market area, I would probably have more of an issue with it.
Where do you live, SorcererDonald? I thought they got rid of prices that low years and years ago.
Sorry I didn't see this until now! Been away for a bit.

I'm in Virginia, in one of the major population areas of the state (not the D.C. area, however). I don't go to a lot of movies (95% are Disney movies), but I found out when I went to see this that they had raised after 6pm prices to $7.50. Still not bad though, and I rarely go to a movie after 5pm or so.

I didn't actually end up seeing BatB until end of Feb., and I was wrong on the price for 3D-- wasn't even $10 each M-Th before 6pm, it was $9 each. :lol: If it had been showing in the IMAX screen they have, it would have been $11. It's a large complex, and it's really nice. There's a fairly old theater not too far that has all new movies for a hair under $5 most days and $3.50 once a week, to boot. So I am fortunate in that! Food and drink prices are nuts though, so I just stick to the popcorn wherever I go.

I really loved seeing BatB onscreen again. It was beautiful in 3D. Made me feel so old though! I was just a kiddo when I saw it in theaters after it was first released. I hadn't seen it on the big screen since then. Time really flies.

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » Mar Sun 25, 2012 8:25 am

The movie theater in town here is $5 seven days a week and $3 for matinees. The nearest 3-D theater is $9.75 all showings, Wednesdays are buy one get one. I have to admit that I totally guzzle the 3-D cool aid, I have a 3-D TV and several 3-D blu rays.

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Mar Thu 29, 2012 6:03 am

northernmousefan2007 wrote:The movie theater in town here is $5 seven days a week and $3 for matinees. The nearest 3-D theater is $9.75 all showings, Wednesdays are buy one get one. I have to admit that I totally guzzle the 3-D cool aid, I have a 3-D TV and several 3-D blu rays.
Apparently, we are lucky ducks when it comes to prices!

I enjoy the Disney movies in 3D very much. I liked BatB better than TLK in 3D, and I suspect Nemo and TLM will be stunning in 3D. Don't have a 3D TV however, or even a Blu-Ray player. Which stinks for me, because nowadays Disney is putting most of the good extras on Blu-Ray. I am just stubborn, though. I had almost finished getting my Disney movie collection as close to complete as possible in DVD form (I had a ton of VHS) when the Blu-Ray stuff started.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 29, 2012 7:24 am

SorcererDonald16 wrote:
northernmousefan2007 wrote:The movie theater in town here is $5 seven days a week and $3 for matinees. The nearest 3-D theater is $9.75 all showings, Wednesdays are buy one get one. I have to admit that I totally guzzle the 3-D cool aid, I have a 3-D TV and several 3-D blu rays.
Apparently, we are lucky ducks when it comes to prices!

I enjoy the Disney movies in 3D very much. I liked BatB better than TLK in 3D, and I suspect Nemo and TLM will be stunning in 3D. Don't have a 3D TV however, or even a Blu-Ray player. Which stinks for me, because nowadays Disney is putting most of the good extras on Blu-Ray. I am just stubborn, though. I had almost finished getting my Disney movie collection as close to complete as possible in DVD form (I had a ton of VHS) when the Blu-Ray stuff started.
My Mom just bought a new laptop which has a blue-ray player in it!! I don't have any blue-rays to watch :roll: but it's nice to know I now have the option :mrgreen: I think Nemo would be pretty cool in 3D. One of my piano families has a 3D television, right after they got it, the boys insisted I try the glasses on and watch something. I watched for a few minutes but was less than impressed. I suppose it would be nice for a movie, but the tv show didn't do much for me...

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 29, 2012 9:41 am

I still don't think the laptop can do blu-ray 3D unless the screen of the laptop is 3D compatible...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 29, 2012 10:15 am

mindflipper wrote:I still don't think the laptop can do blu-ray 3D unless the screen of the laptop is 3D compatible...
Hmmm, I didn't think of that. Something to look into I suppose. Not planning on rushing out and getting any blu-rays at the moment, 3D or regular...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Yeah, the screens need a high refresh rate to handle home bluray, as well as a graphics card that can render at the speed. They might be able to in the future, but right now it would probably kill battery life and get really hot.

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » Mar Thu 29, 2012 6:07 pm

It takes a Nvidia 8000 and up graphics card to do 3d on a computer, those are expensive and wattage consuming. I think 3d blu ray packages are well worth the $30 they cost, mine include a 3d blu ray, feature blu ray, bonus feature blu ray, dvd, and digital copy. I also have three free 3d directv channels that are really high quality.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 29, 2012 9:02 pm

I do wonder if 3D blu rays will work with older 3D PC setups. I remember, in 2008 or so, the first 3D device on the market for PCs, even then it only worked with selected games rather than across the board 3D.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Fri 30, 2012 12:59 pm

northernmousefan2007 wrote:It takes a Nvidia 8000 and up graphics card to do 3d on a computer, those are expensive and wattage consuming. I think 3d blu ray packages are well worth the $30 they cost, mine include a 3d blu ray, feature blu ray, bonus feature blu ray, dvd, and digital copy. I also have three free 3d directv channels that are really high quality.
Yeah I love my 3DTV. I don't get a chance to watch too much 3D because it makes DW sick...but I try to watch stuff every now and then. Some sports look fantastic (2012 BCS Championship Game for instance ;) ) and I have a special about roller coasters recorded on my DVR that looks awesome in 3D. I just hate that I bought BatB on Blu-Ray before they came out with it in 3D. Oh well.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)