Okay now Disney 3-D is getting ridiculous

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Okay now Disney 3-D is getting ridiculous

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Thu 06, 2011 12:57 pm

I like the idea of seeing some of these films on the big screen again, but I don't necessarily want to see them in 3D. We didn't go see Lion King (although the opening sequence looked pretty cool in 3D...and I imagine the stampede would have been sweet too), but it would have been nice to see it on the big screen again. (as if 6 times in the theatre when it came out in 1994 wasn't enough :shock: )

DAR
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DAR » Jan Sun 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Beauty and the Beast is estimated to have made 18 million over the weekend and with tomorrow being a holiday it might make another 5 million. That's 23 million for a 20 year old film. That's pretty good, not Lion King good but still good. That's why Disney does this. Me I'm perfectly happy watching the versions I have at home.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Plus they know that Gen X/Y parents will take their kids to see the movies so instead of single ticket sales you get 2-3+, and with little effort required.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 15, 2012 7:41 pm

DAR wrote:Beauty and the Beast is estimated to have made 18 million over the weekend and with tomorrow being a holiday it might make another 5 million. That's 23 million for a 20 year old film. That's pretty good, not Lion King good but still good. That's why Disney does this. Me I'm perfectly happy watching the versions I have at home.
I think the reason Disney has been doing this is that some exec asked, "Since we're doing a 3D version of Beauty & the Beast for blu-ray, how can we quickly re-coup that cost?" Then another exec came up with idea to re-release it in the theatre and that way the ticket says can make the money back (and maybe more) without having to past that cost along with the blu-ray DVD release.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jan Sun 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:You know I don't drive anything that can't outrun the cops.

You may be able to outrun the cops... but not the radios and in car cams. :wink:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 16, 2012 12:43 am

Funny story, there is the old adage that it is pointless to outrun the cops because they have tons of tech and so forth. A man was pulled over and bolted on foot and they did not catch him nor do they have any info on him.

So you can outrun the cops!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 16, 2012 12:45 am

mindflipper wrote:
DAR wrote:Beauty and the Beast is estimated to have made 18 million over the weekend and with tomorrow being a holiday it might make another 5 million. That's 23 million for a 20 year old film. That's pretty good, not Lion King good but still good. That's why Disney does this. Me I'm perfectly happy watching the versions I have at home.
I think the reason Disney has been doing this is that some exec asked, "Since we're doing a 3D version of Beauty & the Beast for blu-ray, how can we quickly re-coup that cost?" Then another exec came up with idea to re-release it in the theatre and that way the ticket says can make the money back (and maybe more) without having to past that cost along with the blu-ray DVD release.
It could also be one of these ways of upping activity/using resources that otherwise would not be utilized as well. By pumping out cheap re-releases they get more utility out of various departments.

mkfan1992
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by mkfan1992 » Jan Tue 17, 2012 11:43 pm

I saw The Lion King 3D and I thought everything through the stampede was well done, after that, I didn't see much need for or use of 3D. I'm hopeful that The Little Mermaid will be amazing :P
Cast a spell of light, glimmering, shimmering, CAROUSELING!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 18, 2012 7:05 am

mkfan1992 wrote:I saw The Lion King 3D and I thought everything through the stampede was well done, after that, I didn't see much need for or use of 3D. I'm hopeful that The Little Mermaid will be amazing :P
Lots of potential on the Little Mermaid for sure. The Under the Sea part should be pretty cool!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 18, 2012 4:37 pm

It will be just like the ride... oh wait...

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by wxwiz » Jan Thu 19, 2012 5:54 am

mkfan1992 wrote:I saw The Lion King 3D and I thought everything through the stampede was well done, after that, I didn't see much need for or use of 3D. I'm hopeful that The Little Mermaid will be amazing :P
Anyone who has seen B&B think it is worth seeing in 3D?

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Thu 19, 2012 10:06 am

At our house, we are all eagerly anticipating seeing Monsters Inc. in 3D. That's my FAVORITE Pixar. The door scene will be AWESOME. :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Thu 19, 2012 11:20 am

I personally have not seen B&B 3D in theaters but do want to catch it as I will not be buying the whole blu-ray 3D after just getting the blu-ray last year.
cy1229 wrote:At our house, we are all eagerly anticipating seeing Monsters Inc. in 3D. That's my FAVORITE Pixar. The door scene will be AWESOME. :D
That was the first scene that came to mind when I heard about Monsters Inc in 3D. I also think they can do some fun stuff with the CDA searching for Boo.
Amy wrote:
Lots of potential on the Little Mermaid for sure. The Under the Sea part should be pretty cool!
Definitely! I'm still thinking the part of your world scene will not be as good as the one in Philharmagic but it should be pretty decent.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Thu 19, 2012 11:42 am

Question...

Do they add effects to the movies to make the 3D more enhanced? I have Lion King in 3D and loved it. I wondered if they added some of the creatures and grass in the foreground to make the 3D look that much more realistic...or if that stuff was there originally and just enhanced.

If they do add 3D effects, they could enhance the "Part of Your World" scene in Little Mermaid to make it more like Philharmagic.

I bought DW the Blu-Ray B&B last year (that is her favorite movie) so we won't be getting the 3D version either.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 19, 2012 3:32 pm

It varies from movie to movie I think. In some cases, like lion king and toy story, it was just the movie upscaled (possibly did some restoration), but I think with BB they added in content that was cut from the original release.