Disney Store Outlets to Sell Theme Park Merchandise

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Disney Store Outlets to Sell Theme Park Merchandise

Post by Len90 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 6:36 pm

My family and I took a road trip to the Woodbury Premium Outlets this weekend and of course stopped off at the Disney Store Outlet there. To my surprise I saw a huge section in the back of the store that was dedicated to Disneyland Resort and a small piece for Walt Disney World. They had most of the 1955 merchandise that was huge for the 55th Annivsary last year and some original World of Color stuff. I asked about it and was told that this is a new experiment that the company is trying. A few outlet stores are going to carry the parks stuff and if it is successful then it will get enlarged to more stores. Keep in mind that this is only at OUTLET locations and not all will get it.

In my opinion this is a step in the direction back to unifying the Disney Store with the parks. It is a welcome addition to the outlets and to me really differentiates them from the chain stores in shopping malls.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disney Store Outlets to Sell Theme Park Merchandise

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Len90 wrote:My family and I took a road trip to the Woodbury Premium Outlets this weekend and of course stopped off at the Disney Store Outlet there. To my surprise I saw a huge section in the back of the store that was dedicated to Disneyland Resort and a small piece for Walt Disney World. They had most of the 1955 merchandise that was huge for the 55th Annivsary last year and some original World of Color stuff. I asked about it and was told that this is a new experiment that the company is trying. A few outlet stores are going to carry the parks stuff and if it is successful then it will get enlarged to more stores. Keep in mind that this is only at OUTLET locations and not all will get it.

In my opinion this is a step in the direction back to unifying the Disney Store with the parks. It is a welcome addition to the outlets and to me really differentiates them from the chain stores in shopping malls.
That is great! What a chance to pick up some 55th DL collectibles too :D Unfortunately we don't have any Disney outlet stores around us :(

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Mon 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Actually, the Disney Outlet store in St. Augustine, FL has hard some theme-park stuff (mostly stuff that didn't sell in the park in the first place)....

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 20, 2011 8:39 pm

mindflipper wrote:Actually, the Disney Outlet store in St. Augustine, FL has hard some theme-park stuff (mostly stuff that didn't sell in the park in the first place)....
So you might be able to pick up some Duffy bears at a very reasonable price?! ;)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Mon 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Actually, the Disney Outlet store in St. Augustine, FL has hard some theme-park stuff (mostly stuff that didn't sell in the park in the first place)....
So you might be able to pick up some Duffy bears at a very reasonable price?! ;)
I remember a few years back they had a ton of the Disneyland 50th stuff on sale for 50% or less....

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Len90 wrote: In my opinion this is a step in the direction back to unifying the Disney Store with the parks. It is a welcome addition to the outlets and to me really differentiates them from the chain stores in shopping malls.
Yeah, I wouldn't quite call it that. It's just another venue to dump off stuff that doesn't sell rather than merging mall retail and theme park retail.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Mon 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
Len90 wrote: In my opinion this is a step in the direction back to unifying the Disney Store with the parks. It is a welcome addition to the outlets and to me really differentiates them from the chain stores in shopping malls.
Yeah, I wouldn't quite call it that. It's just another venue to dump off stuff that doesn't sell rather than merging mall retail and theme park retail.
Sorry, Len90, but from what I've seen, it's more like what Wizz says that anything positive about retail. However, at least the disney on-line stores are starting to carry some things from the theme-parks (not all, just a little)...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Apparently outlets are a little bit of a scam now, in the past it was just seconds and whatever didn't get sold in the stores but now (with their rise in popularity since the 90's) they stock mostly stuff made for them. So what you end up with is paying for lower quality goods at their own retail price. You are also guilted into buying because they put them in the middle of no-where.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Tue 21, 2011 12:29 am

I wouldn't call Disney Outlet stores like that. They seem to be more along the lines of just Disney Stores that were thrown in the middle of outlet malls. The only difference I did notice is they tend to have better stock of the clearance items. As for the negative side, it is terrible but hopefully it can cause Disney to want to merge the product lines back again to avoid massive dump offs to outlet stores. In regards to this existing before, according to the staff at the Woodbury location this is a brand new thing.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Tue 21, 2011 9:11 am

Not all the Disney Outlet Stores are run alike, Len90. I think because this one is relatively close to Orlando, that maybe they stock it more with theme-park left-overs than other stores. I remember they had dumped a lot of old Star Tours stuff about a year ago, and now that ST 2.0 has opened along with a new merchandising line, I expect soon the old merchandising line will be showing up at our nearby Disney Outlet store soon (if it hasn't already)...

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Tue 21, 2011 11:21 am

mindflipper wrote:Not all the Disney Outlet Stores are run alike, Len90. I think because this one is relatively close to Orlando, that maybe they stock it more with theme-park left-overs than other stores. I remember they had dumped a lot of old Star Tours stuff about a year ago, and now that ST 2.0 has opened along with a new merchandising line, I expect soon the old merchandising line will be showing up at our nearby Disney Outlet store soon (if it hasn't already)...
The Disney outlets in Florida for the most part are actually different than outlet stores in other states like NY or NJ. Those in Florida Have been theme park outlets so they only stocked old theme park merchandise.
- Len90

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 21, 2011 11:33 am

Len90 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Not all the Disney Outlet Stores are run alike, Len90. I think because this one is relatively close to Orlando, that maybe they stock it more with theme-park left-overs than other stores. I remember they had dumped a lot of old Star Tours stuff about a year ago, and now that ST 2.0 has opened along with a new merchandising line, I expect soon the old merchandising line will be showing up at our nearby Disney Outlet store soon (if it hasn't already)...
The Disney outlets in Florida for the most part are actually different than outlet stores in other states like NY or NJ. Those in Florida Have been theme park outlets so they only stocked old theme park merchandise.
Lucky!!! Although maybe the leftovers aren't so wonderful?! :?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Tue 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Quite true, Amy. These are the left-overs nobody wanted. They had a ton of character Star Tours figures (not the Mickey Mouse black Jedi Knight, but some of the others where it's Disney characters dressed up as Star Wars characters). It seemed like 40% were Stitch (I can't remember which one he was - the Emperor?). My guess they had all the least popular characters that didn't sell.

And Len90: while they do have lots from the both theme-parks, they do have a lot of the Disney Store junk dumped there as well.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Tue 21, 2011 12:23 pm

You also find a lot of 6 month to a year out of date tee shirts for really cheap at the Orlando stores.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jun Tue 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Hmm. I wonder if there's one nearby where I'm at..time to google.