Waking Sleeping Beauty

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Waking Sleeping Beauty

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Thu 10, 2011 5:52 pm

I know someone on here has mentioned the document "Waking Sleeping Beauty" before. I just got done watching it and am almost done with the special features. It is one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. It is about the Disney Animation Studios during their second golden age...1984-1994. It was very well done and it is completely honest in telling the highs and the lows. I would suggest everyone here that loves Disney Animation and especially the great movies that came out of this second golden age...that you all watch this. I have seen the documentary on the Sherman Brothers as well as the one on Pixar and this was right up there. I have added "Walt: The Man Behind The Myth" to come in next from Netflix and I have another one, "Walt & El Grupo" to watch in my instant queue. That one is supposed to be about Walt & Lilian going as Goodwill Ambassadors to South America or some place. It looked really good from the preview on the Waking Sleeping Beauty DVD.

Anyhow...great documentary...please check it out if you love Disney Animation. The only way you would be slightly disappointed is if you are like me and wish you could have been an animator at Disney...and looking back on that faded dream brings a bit of disappointment. :wink:

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Waking Sleeping Beauty

Post by Amy » Feb Thu 10, 2011 8:06 pm

Thanks for the recommendation BIG ~ I rarely see any movies so I wouldn't have had any knowledge of this documentary. It sounds very good :D

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Fri 11, 2011 7:46 am

It was made by the guys who were animators during that time...so you get their perspective on it all...and they are very honest about it. Makes you feel like you were there through everything.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 11, 2011 7:50 am

theBIGyowski wrote:It was made by the guys who were animators during that time...so you get their perspective on it all...and they are very honest about it. Makes you feel like you were there through everything.
That is very cool! And I'm guessing very few of the animators, if any of them, are still alive anymore, so what a great chance to see how they worked on such a groundbreaking film!!

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Fri 11, 2011 7:56 am

It has a lot of amateur footage that shows the animators and the studios back in the day...and it's amazing seeing guys like Tim Burton and John Lasseter (founder of Pixar) back when they were just young animators at Disney. Also cool seeing ideas for cartoons that wouldn't see the light of day for years and some even decades. Very cool hearing John Lasseter say "I'm getting through finishing up some computer graphics work" back in 1983. ;)

Peerless83
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Peerless83 » Mar Fri 11, 2011 10:25 pm

I just recommended this doc on another post...I agree with the first posting..this is one of the best documentaries I have ever seen..Disney or non-Disney related. It is well worth going out and purchasing!