Teakettle of Terror

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Teakettle of Terror

Post by Esmeralda » Feb Sun 06, 2011 2:23 pm

My mom just had a horrifying experience. She has a Disney teakettle, the Chef Mickey one (so cute!). After boiling some water, she was carrying it to the sink when the handle broke off and the whole kettle crashed to the ground. The only thing that saved her legs and feet from being scalded were her pants and shoes (thank goodness it's winter in Minnesota).

She filed a complaint with the CSPC, but wants to send the broken kettle to Disney. They need to up their safety standards with all of their products (this one was from Taiwan). Does anyone know where to send this complaint to get some results? Thanks all and be careful with those Disney Teakettles!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Teakettle of Terror

Post by mindflipper » Feb Sun 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Was it purchased throught the Disney Store? If so, you many want to start there.

I am glad she wasn't injured from the teakettle incident.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 06, 2011 3:16 pm

It was this one, wasn't it?

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09268.HTML

They were recalled in 2009, so you hopefully should be able to get a replacement.

In terms of safety, the best thing to buy is an electric boiler since they stay cleaner, heat faster, and don't fall apart. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Esmeralda wrote:My mom just had a horrifying experience. She has a Disney teakettle, the Chef Mickey one (so cute!). After boiling some water, she was carrying it to the sink when the handle broke off and the whole kettle crashed to the ground. The only thing that saved her legs and feet from being scalded were her pants and shoes (thank goodness it's winter in Minnesota).
She filed a complaint with the CSPC, but wants to send the broken kettle to Disney. They need to up their safety standards with all of their products (this one was from Taiwan). Does anyone know where to send this complaint to get some results? Thanks all and be careful with those Disney Teakettles!
mindflipper wrote:Was it purchased throught the Disney Store? If so, you many want to start there.
I am glad she wasn't injured from the teakettle incident.
Gosh! That is scary! :shock: I would think mindflipper would be right, start with the Disney Store or Disney online, wherever it was purchased and go from there. Thank goodness for winter indeed!!

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Feb Thu 10, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks for the thoughts! It looked like this...
http://www.bizrate.com/christmas-decor/ ... 19150.html

The tea kettle came from the Disney Parks, not the Disney Store. Any other ideas would be helpful!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Thu 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Ah, then you might want to contact them and cpsc because you probably are not the only person that had the experience.

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Mar Thu 24, 2011 11:18 am

Here's an update on the teakettle. After getting a case number from the CSPC, my mom called the Disney consumer line and did get connected with a claims adjuster, Barbie, at Disney World. Barbie told my mom to send them the teakettle using a UPS sticker that she would send via email. We don't have any UPS drop off sites near us, so Barbie said to just flag down a truck (insert picture of my mom running down the street...). When asked if she would hear back about this issue, Barbie said that she could add that to her claim, as if it were a surprise that she'd want to know! Finally, as an offer of compensation for all her trouble, my mom was told she could get free shipping on any Disney Parks item she found online (seeing as she didn't want another teakettle).

Needless to say, my mom was so disappointed that Disney just didn't seem to care that their products are dangerous and could cause serious injury. I'll think twice before buying any Disney product with possible safety concerns in the future. Maybe they should offer fewer products at a slightly higher price that are actually quality? I know I'd happily pay to know my family is safe!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 24, 2011 11:34 am

Esmeralda wrote:Here's an update on the teakettle. After getting a case number from the CSPC, my mom called the Disney consumer line and did get connected with a claims adjuster, Barbie, at Disney World. Barbie told my mom to send them the teakettle using a UPS sticker that she would send via email. We don't have any UPS drop off sites near us, so Barbie said to just flag down a truck (insert picture of my mom running down the street...). When asked if she would hear back about this issue, Barbie said that she could add that to her claim, as if it were a surprise that she'd want to know! Finally, as an offer of compensation for all her trouble, my mom was told she could get free shipping on any Disney Parks item she found online (seeing as she didn't want another teakettle).
Needless to say, my mom was so disappointed that Disney just didn't seem to care that their products are dangerous and could cause serious injury. I'll think twice before buying any Disney product with possible safety concerns in the future. Maybe they should offer fewer products at a slightly higher price that are actually quality? I know I'd happily pay to know my family is safe!
I can just see your poor Mother trying to flag down a UPS truck. That is odd that they wanted to know if she wanted to be notified :? And wow, aren't they generous in offering free shipping when she is out at the very least the money she originally paid for the teakettle. I would join you in preferring quality merchandise with fewer selections. And perhaps some merchandise made in the US would be nice for a change!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 24, 2011 12:10 pm

They probably just start with the free shipping offer and you can complain at them to raise it up to something higher (such as a refund).

Country of orgin doesn't really mean much since quality is terrible everywhere, I've had worse experience with american made goods than anything else. That and unless people want to pay a lot more or workers are willing to work for pennies, there won't be any boom in factory jobs anytime soon.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Just seeing this topic title again made me suddenly think it would be a perfect title for a British horror film... :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Do it like the lady in black! A sucessful horror film by the BBC where everything appears to be sets and props from other shows.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Do it like the lady in black! A sucessful horror film by the BBC where everything appears to be sets and props from other shows.
Dude, that's been a cost-cutting SOP for the BBC for decades...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 24, 2011 9:55 pm

But you have to admit no commercials (on first run) does have it's benefits.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:But you have to admit no commercials (on first run) does have it's benefits.
But you have pay a license for the telly too...

However, sometime soon according to the BBC, and subscription service of the BBC iplayer are the internet will be available worldwide that will allow people to watch all their shows through streaming or download video. Possible lowest service plan may cost about $10/month. No word on when they will start this new service up.
Last edited by mindflipper on Mar Thu 24, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Yeah, it didn't bother me as much since I was only renting the house so the license was already paid for but I would have just thought of it like cable since I view it as having to pay for the basic stuff too.