Who actually created Mickey?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mdk010
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Who actually created Mickey?

Post by mdk010 » Jan Tue 04, 2011 8:05 am

I am in the middle of reading The Hand Behind the Mouse : An Intimate Biography of Ub Iwerks and it goes into detail about the creation of Mickey. In the book it describes Walt telling Ub to start penning new characters, and Ub creates Mickey. This was after they were swindled out of the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. From what I recall, there appears to be conflicting information. In Walt Disney: An American Orginal they describe Walt designing Mickey on a train back from New York.

Does anyone know which is correct? Or if I am remembering incorrectly from the Disney book?
"I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained."
-Walt Disney

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Who actually created Mickey?

Post by NaCler » Jan Tue 04, 2011 9:47 am

According to the One Man's Dream film that they show at DHS, Walt first drew Mickey on the train from NY like you read in the book. I have not heard the thought that Ub was the first to create Mickey.

masterj345
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Re: Who actually created Mickey?

Post by masterj345 » Jan Thu 27, 2011 4:23 am

im pretty sure disney created him, but ub iwerks did go a long way towards early character development.