Newsies: Disney's newest musical?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Newsies: Disney's newest musical?

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 07, 2011 1:25 pm

You would think it would be too childish, and yet Seussical and Shrek have been Broadway musicals. Maybe Dumbo could work?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 07, 2011 1:27 pm

mindflipper wrote:You would think it would be too childish, and yet Seussical and Shrek have been Broadway musicals. Maybe Dumbo could work?
I don't know about Shrek, but Suessical was huge! And spawned lots of smaller local productions too...

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Jan Thu 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Just came across this thread - I love Newsies! It's a fantastic musical and ever since I saw the movie I've wanted to see a stage version. It wouldn't be hard to transition, unlike Dumbo (don't get me wrong, it could be cool, but it could also be very scary - remember the pictures from Toy Story the Musical??).

Anyways, here's one vote for Broadway or Off-Broadway, or my local community theatre putting on Newsies!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sat 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Newsies could work on Broadway....maybe. Someone thought Spiderman would work - and they're still trying to get to open night. With all the injuries, the cast party will actually be where everyone is signing everyone else's cast bandages.

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Feb Fri 18, 2011 9:19 am

Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

mkfan1992
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by mkfan1992 » Jan Mon 02, 2012 11:11 pm

So Newsies had an awesome run at the Papermill Playhouse, and now it's going to Broadway! :]
http://www.newsiesthemusical.com
Cast a spell of light, glimmering, shimmering, CAROUSELING!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 03, 2012 6:51 am

It just amazes me because I remember the movie sort of tanked when it came out...

mkfan1992

Post by mkfan1992 » Jan Tue 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Yeah, but somewhere between the movie coming out for purchase and tv showings, it gained a cult following. Based on how the show did at the papermill and it's reviews, this could be the most successful theatrical production for Disney. Newsies is the number one most requested title for Theatres to put on, so it would be stupid for Disney not to have done Newsies. They're going to make a ton of money,

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 03, 2012 2:09 pm

I wouldn't say that considering theater sales are way down, and it does cost a ton of cash to make these shows. Just because people say they wanted to see it doesn't mean they will.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Tue 03, 2012 2:42 pm

If we ever had the chance to see this, we would totally jump on it!!!! (well, I would anyway ;) )

mkfan1992

Post by mkfan1992 » Jan Tue 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I wouldn't say that considering theater sales are way down, and it does cost a ton of cash to make these shows. Just because people say they wanted to see it doesn't mean they will.
As someone who is in the Theatre Business, I'm going to have to disagree with you. One, sales are not down because they don't even go on sale until January 30th. Disney is playing this production very smart. They will only be spending 5 million dollars on the production, rather than spending in the teens like usual. They have also set the schedule to be a 3 month engagement of 101 performances in which they will break even and regain the money spent. If the production does exceptionally well, as expected by most(including critics), the producers will have the option to extend the production to an open-ended run. This is also the reason they tried out the production at the Papermill first. ..and Musical Theatre International is a company that owns and leases performance rights to professional and amateur theatre companies around the world. Their number one requested title by companies everywhere is Newsies. They will make quite alot of money on that one factor alone. Newsies is also doing quite well because it has less of a "theme park" story (like B&tB & Little Mermaid). It's a story of real human boys with a problem in the "human condition". Also, Theatre sales are not "way down". Theatre sales are actually rising and inreasing. So in summary, as someone who holds a Bachelor's Degree in Theatre and in Business, I seriously have to say that you're wrong.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 03, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm talking about across the board, not just specific shows, income is down. They may be up from last year, but look at the overall revanue trend, it's down, resulting in cut seasons or all out abandonment.

Also, it may be requested but it never automatically means they will make a lot of money. Audiences are fickle, and while they can play at the gen x parents groups, they are, at best, going to get a fast burn out of this since we are talking about a forgettable movie. Cult fandom is nice but it also means there is not nearly as much profit to be had.

mkfan1992

Post by mkfan1992 » Jan Wed 04, 2012 2:11 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I'm talking about across the board, not just specific shows, income is down. They may be up from last year, but look at the overall revanue trend, it's down, resulting in cut seasons or all out abandonment.

Also, it may be requested but it never automatically means they will make a lot of money. Audiences are fickle, and while they can play at the gen x parents groups, they are, at best, going to get a fast burn out of this since we are talking about a forgettable movie. Cult fandom is nice but it also means there is not nearly as much profit to be had.
Okay well instead of arguing back in forth, i'm going to let you think what you want and time will tell.. K. Great.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Please show me your data if you keep saying that opera, theater, and symph have only gone up in terms of profit.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Fri 06, 2012 4:50 pm

DW's brother, who lives in NYC, almost tried out for Newsies...but he's more a singer than a dancer...so his agent told him to hold off since it was very dance-heavy.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)