Newsies: Disney's newest musical?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Newsies: Disney's newest musical?

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 29, 2010 10:31 am

When Disney films tend to bomb - and bomb really,really badly - they tend to shelve it and allow it to never be heard from again. Newsies is in that category.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Wed 29, 2010 2:10 pm

I actually have no idea about how bad it is since the only time I ever saw part of it was when they showed it during a rainy day, when you couldn't go outside.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Dec Thu 30, 2010 7:47 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
momeja wrote:I was wondering what Broadway musical Disney would do next. The Newsies makes sense. Production costs are fairly minimal (since they already have the music and book), and it's a cute story. Might work!
I would imagine they wouldn't use the same stuff from the movie that bombed. :D

I knew it didn't do well but I didn't realize how hard it tanked until I looked it up, they didn't even come close to half way on earnings, Tron at least made close to double it's cost.
On the contrary, my dear. Just look at Tron 2. :lol:

Actually, the music is pretty good. A few extra songs and you've got a show!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Fri 31, 2010 12:57 am

I was talking about one. :D [2nd isn't a bomb since domestic gross (might have some international in there too) already is in the black :D]

My guess as to why Newsies didn't too well, child labor, abuse, and Hearst, and lack of protection is hillarious but not really a movie that makes people want to go see it.

momeja

Post by momeja » Dec Fri 31, 2010 5:26 pm

Wizzard419 wrote: My guess as to why Newsies didn't too well, child labor, abuse, and Hearst, and lack of protection is hillarious but not really a movie that makes people want to go see it.
You might be right, Wizzard. On the other hand, if they make it look like Annie, it might work. After all, when you think about Annie - the Great Depression, orphans, kidnapping, child labour and child abuse - it sounds pretty grim, but it worked and people loved it.

Think I need to go out and rent Newsies soon...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 02, 2011 12:46 am

I don't think people younger than 30 are entirely keen on that either. She's an orphan with a creepy older guy that takes care of her, and that if you have money adoption laws don't apply to you. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 02, 2011 9:14 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I don't think people younger than 30 are entirely keen on that either. She's an orphan with a creepy older guy that takes care of her, and that if you have money adoption laws don't apply to you. :D
I would be willing to let him adopt me :shock: :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 02, 2011 10:30 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I don't think people younger than 30 are entirely keen on that either. She's an orphan with a creepy older guy that takes care of her, and that if you have money adoption laws don't apply to you. :D
Really? Seemed like old Warbucks was hardly around, which is why Annie was falling into one misadventure after another. This day and age, Child Protective Services would take Annie away from Warbucks because of neglect, or Annie would fall into a bad crowd, get addicted, and then who knows what.

mkfan1992
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by mkfan1992 » Jan Thu 06, 2011 7:45 pm

the same website also reports that disney registered the Domains for Dumbo the Musical. ...Thoughts? :D ..Newsies will do great... but... uhmm.. Dumbo? ..on stage?
Cast a spell of light, glimmering, shimmering, CAROUSELING!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 06, 2011 8:03 pm

mkfan1992 wrote:the same website also reports that disney registered the Domains for Dumbo the Musical. ...Thoughts? :D ..Newsies will do great... but... uhmm.. Dumbo? ..on stage?
I actually could see Dumbo doing well ~ it would be family oriented, a cute story, some great music...

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Thu 06, 2011 8:27 pm

momeja wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote: My guess as to why Newsies didn't too well, child labor, abuse, and Hearst, and lack of protection is hillarious but not really a movie that makes people want to go see it.
You might be right, Wizzard. On the other hand, if they make it look like Annie, it might work. After all, when you think about Annie - the Great Depression, orphans, kidnapping, child labour and child abuse - it sounds pretty grim, but it worked and people loved it.

Think I need to go out and rent Newsies soon...
Is it even out on DVD? I remember it did come out on VHS.

I wonder if the more grim and depressing the story it is, the more it's right for a Musical? Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd, ...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Thu 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes, Newsies is on DVD.

I'm not sure I'd want to see a Dumbo musical though....

mkfan1992

Post by mkfan1992 » Jan Fri 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Amy wrote:
mkfan1992 wrote:the same website also reports that disney registered the Domains for Dumbo the Musical. ...Thoughts? :D ..Newsies will do great... but... uhmm.. Dumbo? ..on stage?
I actually could see Dumbo doing well ~ it would be family oriented, a cute story, some great music...
But it creates immediate problems.. aka.. the flying elephant... ...it's gonna be a doosie figuring that one out.. ..plus, i'm to certain that we people who actually pay to see theatre would really wanna see it.. ..it's appeal isn't broad enough...
Cast a spell of light, glimmering, shimmering, CAROUSELING!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 07, 2011 1:15 pm

I agree the flying elephant may be a problem. Look at all the injuries alone they've had with turning Spiderman into a NY musical! :shock:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 07, 2011 1:16 pm

mindflipper wrote:I agree the flying elephant may be a problem. Look at all the injuries alone they've had with turning Spiderman into a NY musical! :shock:
But Peter Pan flew with ease on Broadway! And I'm guessing there was some flying involved in Mary Poppins?
I probably wouldn't go see Dumbo either, unless someone gave me tickets. That would probably have to be the case for any Broadway show, those are a bit beyond my price range :(