Newsies: Disney's newest musical?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mkfan1992
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Newsies: Disney's newest musical?

Post by mkfan1992 » Dec Tue 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Rumors have been out for a while but Newsies might becoming to broadway sooner than expected?
stitchkingdom.com reports that on 4 Mar 2010 Disney studios registered the domain names: newsiesbroadway.com, newsiesmusical.com, newsiesontour.com, newsiesthemusical.com and newsiestickets.com, which is creating speculation that Disney Theatrical Productions are to adapt the 1992 American Disney musical Newsies for the stage.

Fans of the film, who have been petitioning Disney Studio's for a stage adaptation, are already drawing up their dream list for the cast.

The domain name registrations comes on top of an earlier report by Wayman Wong of the NY Daily News that composer Alan Menken and lyricist Jack Feldman were working on bringing the musical to the stage, featuring a new book by Harvey Fierstein.
http://www.newyorktheatreguide.com/news ... 555778.htm
Cast a spell of light, glimmering, shimmering, CAROUSELING!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Newsies: Disney's newest musical?

Post by Amy » Dec Tue 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Didn't Newsies pretty much bomb as a movie?

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Yeah, I think it did bomb...but so did TRON....

I've heard about this, and I personally would love it!!! I've loved that movie since it came out. (hmmm, I was a teenage girl, lots of cute, teenage boys were in the movie....ummm yeah, a plus in my book ;) ) Plus, when I was at MGM studios for the first time, they were promoting the movie. I got to see Max Casella (I was a HUGE Doogie Howser fan, so that was a plus!) and we were given a little newspaper with all the characters and actors listed in it.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Tue 28, 2010 6:11 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Yeah, I think it did bomb...but so did TRON....

I've heard about this, and I personally would love it!!! I've loved that movie since it came out. (hmmm, I was a teenage girl, lots of cute, teenage boys were in the movie....ummm yeah, a plus in my book ;) ) Plus, when I was at MGM studios for the first time, they were promoting the movie. I got to see Max Casella (I was a HUGE Doogie Howser fan, so that was a plus!) and we were given a little newspaper with all the characters and actors listed in it.
Do you still have the little newspaper?

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Amy wrote:

Somewhere... :? I think it might be at my parents' house. I would imagine that all my other paraphernalia from that trip is there too. Park maps, souvenirs, pictures...I had everything in one box. I'm not sure if that's still the case, nor am I sure of its whereabouts. If I ever find it, I'll post pictures.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Tue 28, 2010 6:22 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Amy wrote:

Somewhere... :? I think it might be at my parents' house. I would imagine that all my other paraphernalia from that trip is there too. Park maps, souvenirs, pictures...I had everything in one box. I'm not sure if that's still the case, nor am I sure of its whereabouts. If I ever find it, I'll post pictures.
That's pretty cool that you still have it :shock: I was sort of joking :oops: :lol:

mkfan1992

Post by mkfan1992 » Dec Tue 28, 2010 6:26 pm

The film may have bombed, but I think the score gives it alot of potential for success on Broadway.
Cast a spell of light, glimmering, shimmering, CAROUSELING!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Amy wrote:That's pretty cool that you still have it I was sort of joking
It's sad actually....I keep everything! I am the ultimate pack-rat!!!
mkfan1992 wrote:The film may have bombed, but I think the score gives it alot of potential for success on Broadway.
I completely agree with this! The songs/score from the film are great, and would be fabulous on stage.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Dec Tue 28, 2010 6:54 pm

I was wondering what Broadway musical Disney would do next. The Newsies makes sense. Production costs are fairly minimal (since they already have the music and book), and it's a cute story. Might work!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Tue 28, 2010 6:57 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Amy wrote:That's pretty cool that you still have it I was sort of joking
It's sad actually....I keep everything! I am the ultimate pack-rat!!!
Me too!
MmeLeota wrote:
mkfan1992 wrote:The film may have bombed, but I think the score gives it alot of potential for success on Broadway.
I completely agree with this! The songs/score from the film are great, and would be fabulous on stage.
I'm going to have to dig out my CD, I'm sure I have one...I know I had the piano songbook and had a few that I liked playing when I was younger...

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Dec Tue 28, 2010 8:18 pm

I loved Newsies! I could see it doing well on stage...but that is a huge cast of a lot of younger kids...not sure how easy that would be to keep up.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Dec Tue 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Loved Newsies!!!!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Wed 29, 2010 12:35 am

momeja wrote:I was wondering what Broadway musical Disney would do next. The Newsies makes sense. Production costs are fairly minimal (since they already have the music and book), and it's a cute story. Might work!
I would imagine they wouldn't use the same stuff from the movie that bombed. :D

I knew it didn't do well but I didn't realize how hard it tanked until I looked it up, they didn't even come close to half way on earnings, Tron at least made close to double it's cost.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Wed 29, 2010 3:49 am

I still have yet to see Newsies. I'm a sucker for Christian Bale so I'd check it out sometime.

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Dec Wed 29, 2010 9:47 am

elizabethswann wrote:I still have yet to see Newsies. I'm a sucker for Christian Bale so I'd check it out sometime.
Christian Bale....sooo yummy!!!
Wizzard419 wrote:
momeja wrote:I was wondering what Broadway musical Disney would do next. The Newsies makes sense. Production costs are fairly minimal (since they already have the music and book), and it's a cute story. Might work!
I would imagine they wouldn't use the same stuff from the movie that bombed. :D

I knew it didn't do well but I didn't realize how hard it tanked until I looked it up, they didn't even come close to half way on earnings, Tron at least made close to double it's cost.
Wow that is bad. I wonder if it was poorly marketed? Or just not the right time for a movie like that?
I was shocked when I worked at the Disney Store that no one there had even seen it! I brought in my copy and passed it around and everyone LOVED it.