Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides

Post by mindflipper » May Sun 22, 2011 12:04 am

I liked it. Frankly, 2 and 3 had far too much of Davy Jones, Will, and Elizabeth - and Capt Jack felt like he only did cameos in those films. Not so the POTC4. Sorry, people, but I was so glad they wrote out Will & Elizabeth at the end of 3.

My ranking: 1, 4, 5, 2, and 3 (yes, I know, POTC5 hasn't been even filmed yet - but to me it's already better than 2 and 3)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sun 22, 2011 12:17 am

mindflipper wrote:I liked it. Frankly, 2 and 3 had far too much of Davy Jones, Will, and Elizabeth - and Capt Jack felt like he only did cameos in those films. Not so the POTC4. Sorry, people, but I was so glad they wrote out Will & Elizabeth at the end of 3.

My ranking: 1, 4, 5, 2, and 3 (yes, I know, POTC5 hasn't been even filmed yet - but to me it's already better than 2 and 3)
Very funny to see the ranking (without 5). I definitely have to agree with the order you put them in. I really think the first one is something that can just not be topped.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sun 22, 2011 12:32 am

Len90 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:I liked it. Frankly, 2 and 3 had far too much of Davy Jones, Will, and Elizabeth - and Capt Jack felt like he only did cameos in those films. Not so the POTC4. Sorry, people, but I was so glad they wrote out Will & Elizabeth at the end of 3.

Very funny to see the ranking (without 5). I definitely have to agree with the order you put them in. I really think the first one is something that can just not be topped.
Well, at least we concur 80%. But I'm sure if you give it some time, you'll probably agree with me about the other 20%... :wink: :lol:

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » May Sun 22, 2011 2:39 am

I'm hoping to see it sometime next week or after or wait until it comes to the three dollar theater.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 22, 2011 8:15 am

I've only seen the first one. Would I be able to follow the story line of this fourth one without a problem?

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Sun 22, 2011 8:54 am

I like the inclusion of #5. :lol: While I agree about too much focus on Davy Jones, Will and Elizabeth in #'s 2 & 3, the only reason why I ranked #2 before #4 is because there are some parts of Dead Man's Chest that I crack up at and those parts have become among my favorites of the series. (I gotta jar o' dirt....and guess what's inside it :D ) I'm sure as I see OST more and pick up on more details, the ranking might very well change.

Amy - Yes...this one has nothing to do with the previous 3 movies (other than Captain Jack of course :wink: )

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sun 22, 2011 9:51 am

Amy wrote:I've only seen the first one. Would I be able to follow the story line of this fourth one without a problem?
The beauty of it is - you could. You may be missing the fact that some voodoo priestess brought Barbossa back to life in the second film, but you could overlook that easily. At the end of the third film, Barbossa stole Jack's ship, the Pearl, but that's not too important (that's covered in the film).

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sun 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Posted in various places on the net is the estimated box office for the opening weekend:

90.1 million - domestic box office
256.3 million - international box office
346.4 million - total worldwide box office

Not bad for the opening weekend; the worldwide box office is a record for any film to date.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » May Mon 23, 2011 11:43 am

I LOVED the movie! Saw it in RPX, 3D. Good storyline, I give it two thumbs up!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Mon 23, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm thinking after the opening weekend box office, the green light has been given to POTC5.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Mon 23, 2011 12:30 pm

mindflipper wrote:I'm thinking after the opening weekend box office, the green light has been given to POTC5.
I read that the script is already completed. I also read that Mr. Depp doesn't want 4 & 5 to be filmed back to back like 2 & 3. I'm thinking it won't be released until 2013 or maybe 2014...seems so far away, but will be here before we know it! ;)
Or maybe there will be another surprise appearance/announcement made at the D23 Expo like last time????

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Mon 23, 2011 12:52 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
mindflipper wrote:I'm thinking after the opening weekend box office, the green light has been given to POTC5.
I read that the script is already completed. I also read that Mr. Depp doesn't want 4 & 5 to be filmed back to back like 2 & 3. I'm thinking it won't be released until 2013 or maybe 2014...seems so far away, but will be here before we know it! ;)
Or maybe there will be another surprise appearance/announcement made at the D23 Expo like last time????
Given how Depp has purchased the rights to "Dark Shadows" for theatrical release (I heard he has Burton signed on as director), I figure he would want to get it done before he did the next POTC film perhaps. :?:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Mon 23, 2011 12:58 pm

mindflipper wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:
Given how Depp has purchased the rights to "Dark Shadows" for theatrical release (I heard he has Burton signed on as director), I figure he would want to get it done before he did the next POTC film perhaps. :?:
Quite possibly. It's funny you mentioned Tim Burton. Hubby and I were joking around that it's not Disney's turn (since they just had their turn) to have Depp...it's Tim Burton's turn. After that, it will be Disney's turn again... :wink:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Mon 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Usually it's Burton who's the boss being the director and Depp the actor. However, Depp the producer will be the boss of Burton the director who will be the boss of Depp the actor. Wow, will that get confusing on set!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Mon 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Confusing, yes...however I would sure love to be a part of a Burton/Depp project! I really would have loved to have had something to do with Sweeney Todd. I love that musical!!!