CNN Disney vacation tips???

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

CNN Disney vacation tips???

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Fri 05, 2010 12:59 pm

OK, CNN is giving out tips for a successful Disney vacation. I thought getting to go on vacation at a Disney park was success? Here it is, you be the judge! I personally don't agree with the last one. Then again, what do I know about a successful Disney vacation? :

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/05/fi ... tml?hpt=T2
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: CNN Disney vacation tips???

Post by NaCler » Nov Fri 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:OK, CNN is giving out tips for a successful Disney vacation. I thought getting to go on vacation at a Disney park was success? Here it is, you be the judge! I personally don't agree with the last one. Then again, what do I know about a successful Disney vacation? :

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/05/fi ... tml?hpt=T2
Thanks for sharing, Jacca. I have 2 issues with the article:
1) Why is this author telling people to go during the time between T-giving and Christmas? If word gets out that this is the best time of year, then it will quickly become more populated and thus, not the best time of year to visit. Don't give away all the secrets...

2) I agree with Jacca about the last point. The author doesn't really tackle all of the pros with staying on property and weigh them against the cons (like we have done so well in another thread) ;) Also, since this author is apparently a frequent visitor and a co-creator of an un-official guide, I'm CERTAIN that he stays on-site and not in one of the cheap options available outside of the "World" that he mentions.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 05, 2010 2:23 pm

They are probably defining sucess as "the cheapest possible version". How much does it cost to park at the parks anyway?

I'm sure that there are entire tracts of rental properties right now since Orlando's housing market imploded (though they are building multi-million dollar communities right now).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Fri 05, 2010 2:35 pm

I wouldn't necessarily agree with taking your own food. Part of the fun of Disney is trying the different food options!
And I don't worry about them touting the benefits of going between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They have been advertising that for years and so far, knock, knock, knock, it hasn't been super crowded when we have gone during that time...

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Fri 05, 2010 2:46 pm

The real slack time is the middle of Jan till the beginning of spring break anyway. After spring break is slow also!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 05, 2010 4:05 pm

When is the main start/end of spring break anyway? I went in May (I think, it might have been april) and the parks had high season hours but almost everything was walk on.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Fri 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:When is the main start/end of spring break anyway? I went in May (I think, it might have been april) and the parks had high season hours but almost everything was walk on.
Late Feb. to Late April.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Fri 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Don't give me hopes of blowing whatever money I have in trying to go there. I won't ever get the chance.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Fri 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Amy wrote:I wouldn't necessarily agree with taking your own food. Part of the fun of Disney is trying the different food options!
And I don't worry about them touting the benefits of going between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They have been advertising that for years and so far, knock, knock, knock, it hasn't been super crowded when we have gone during that time...
I could understand taking your own food if you worry about special dietary restraints (food allergies, diabetic, etc.) or you have small children (taking along their favorite snacks and drinks). I know to save some $ I will buy only one bottle of water and re-fill at water fountains during the day.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 05, 2010 11:24 pm

Hmmm... now that you mention dietary restrictions, don't some of the villas or whatever they call the "Family" style rooms have kitchens? Are they full kitchens with pans and so forth or are they only really designed to heat up meals?

Also, is there any place on property to buy groceries for said kitchens?

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Sat 06, 2010 12:57 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Hmmm... now that you mention dietary restrictions, don't some of the villas or whatever they call the "Family" style rooms have kitchens? Are they full kitchens with pans and so forth or are they only really designed to heat up meals?

Also, is there any place on property to buy groceries for said kitchens?
I think there may be, but you're gonna pay Disney prices. If you don't have a car to go to an off property grocery store (There are Publix super markets all around WDW), you might as well eat out. It gonna cost just as much. We always have a big bottle of Morgans in our room. At 6 to 8 dollars a shot, it saves a lot of money!! ;+>

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 06, 2010 7:15 am

mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:I wouldn't necessarily agree with taking your own food. Part of the fun of Disney is trying the different food options!
I could understand taking your own food if you worry about special dietary restraints (food allergies, diabetic, etc.) or you have small children (taking along their favorite snacks and drinks). I know to save some $ I will buy only one bottle of water and re-fill at water fountains during the day.
Ok, for allergy reasons, or little picky eaters, that I can see. You could really save the money on buying even the one bottle of water since any place will give you a free cup of water...it might be tiny, but it will be free :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Sat 06, 2010 10:02 am

Hmm I think CNN should just stick to reporting the facts and leave the Disney vacationing to the experts (like me).
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Sat 06, 2010 10:13 am

Len90 wrote:Hmm I think CNN should just stick to reporting the facts and leave the Disney vacationing to the experts (like me).
Like most here!! We give better advice!! The writer meant well. Just a little miss guided.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Sat 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Len90 wrote:Hmm I think CNN should just stick to reporting the facts and leave the Disney vacationing to the experts (like me).
Agreed! I come here for vacation tips.