CNN Disney vacation tips???

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: CNN Disney vacation tips???

Post by mindflipper » Nov Sat 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Given how everyone has a variety of styles and economies, to boil down suggestions to a few short rules simplifies too much. It is better to research the right advice that fits your particular style and economy.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sat 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Usually the Travel Channel devotes weeks of programming to Disney (albeit they usually just modify existing content and broadcast it as new), but one special they did was where they featured multiple scenarios for vacations so they could make any budget consider taking a trip. The odd one was a couple that wanted to stay on property but did not actually buy any tickets/spend time in the parks.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 07, 2010 8:12 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Usually the Travel Channel devotes weeks of programming to Disney (albeit they usually just modify existing content and broadcast it as new), but one special they did was where they featured multiple scenarios for vacations so they could make any budget consider taking a trip. The odd one was a couple that wanted to stay on property but did not actually buy any tickets/spend time in the parks.
I've seen articles on going to Disney without actually entering the theme parks themselves. I can think of other places I would much rather go if I'm not going to enjoy the parks :shock: That one just seems weird to me.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Sun 07, 2010 8:21 am

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Usually the Travel Channel devotes weeks of programming to Disney (albeit they usually just modify existing content and broadcast it as new), but one special they did was where they featured multiple scenarios for vacations so they could make any budget consider taking a trip. The odd one was a couple that wanted to stay on property but did not actually buy any tickets/spend time in the parks.
I've seen articles on going to Disney without actually entering the theme parks themselves. I can think of other places I would much rather go if I'm not going to enjoy the parks :shock: That one just seems weird to me.
This doesn't seem so strange to me. There are some many other things to do besides the parks at WDW. Most guest never go do everything else. You can have a lot of fun not in the parks. If you've only bought a say 5 day hopper and you are there for more days then that, it's a good way to have some non-park fun.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 07, 2010 8:26 am

Yeah, I know there are lots of things to do and see. But it is so expensive to get there, and stay there (at least to me!) that I can't imagine being that close and not going into the parks.

bobbafett
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by bobbafett » Nov Sun 07, 2010 11:19 am

Jacca5660 wrote:
Len90 wrote:Hmm I think CNN should just stick to reporting the facts and leave the Disney vacationing to the experts (like me).
Like most here!! We give better advice!! The writer meant well. Just a little miss guided.
I really don’t think the author of the book is miss-guided, maybe taken out of context from the entire book. We don’t know what questions CNN asked.

Don’t forget, this is the unofficial guide; this is for people who need the information because they lack first hand knowledge like I do and many others on sites like these. I know people who go to WDW and do stay off property. I am a member of DVC so my perspective would be different from them
Anyway CNN isn’t reporting, Bob Sehlinger, a co-writer is.
Off 97, POR 97, FWC 98, OKW 99, WL 00, DL 01
WL 02, AKL 02, WL 03, POLY 04, WL 06, AKL 07, AKL 10, AKL 10

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sun 07, 2010 2:09 pm

While the resort does offer lots of things outside of the park it is still an odd choice since many of the points of interest outside the parks are found in other parts of the country (sometimes for a better quality and/or price).

viking245
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by viking245 » Nov Tue 09, 2010 8:25 am

The author as mentioned is the author of "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" which was the 1st WDW trip planning guide we bought. The purpose of the guide is "...to provide the reader with the information necessary to tour Walt Disney World with the greatest efficiency and economy and with the least hassle." Having never been before, for us the guide (as a mere start of our research) was priceless.

With that, the book covers both pros and cons of staying on site vs off site. And (as we all would have guessed) there are more pros for staying on site than not. Speaking of which, has anyone stayed at the "Hilton, located in the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort" (it's full official title)? It's not Disney owned or ran but offers the same excellent park shuttle service and has EMH's. Sorry, getting a little off topic.

CNN giving Disney vacation tips? No, they just took it from the book (author).
Good tips? Yes, when viewed in the full context.

Edit:
Oh my goodness. I totally missed bobbafett's post. :oops:
I guess we're kind of on the same page.

MoonPet
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by MoonPet » Nov Sat 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Renting a house/staying off property can be a great way to save money if you are not planning to spend all of your time at WDW. If families are going to do some of the "other" Orlando attractions, then it can make sense. However, staying off property and having to drive to WDW every day can be tiresome.

I haven't been to those "other" attractions since the year Universal opened.

MoonPet

Post by MoonPet » Nov Sat 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Hmmm... now that you mention dietary restrictions, don't some of the villas or whatever they call the "Family" style rooms have kitchens? Are they full kitchens with pans and so forth or are they only really designed to heat up meals?

Also, is there any place on property to buy groceries for said kitchens?
The DVC 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units have full kitchens with appliances, dishes, pots, etc. As stated before, there are several Publix and Super Wal-Mart locations a few minutes drive from property to pick up whatever you may need, although each DVC resort has a grocery store stocked with basics.