Were any of you fans of VMK?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Were any of you fans of VMK?

Post by dichuy » Oct Wed 27, 2010 9:38 am

I was a huge fan of Virtual Magic Kingdom and really miss the "game". Just thought I see if any of you here in my new "home" were fellow fans too. My VMK name was dichuy also.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Were any of you fans of VMK?

Post by NaCler » Oct Wed 27, 2010 9:46 am

I caught on at the end and thought I would really like it. Then they shut it down. It's a shame as it looked like a lot of fun.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 27, 2010 9:53 am

I was on there, but I still only had dial-up internet service at the time so I was unable to do much on there :(
I did get to play the fireworks game a few times, and also a "ride through" game, I think it was the Jungle Cruise?

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Wed 27, 2010 10:41 am

I never got into it...wanted to...but never did because they shut it down.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Oct Wed 27, 2010 12:44 pm

Got into it before all the teenagers wanted to be friends with everyone. I liked that it had elements from both Disneyland and MK (Disneyland Paris?).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 06, 2013 11:20 am

I saw today that the VMK is making a comeback starting tonight. I am registered and going to check it out, either tonight or tomorrow. I will be interested to see if it is like the old VMK. I didn't have high speed internet then so I was very limited on being able to participate and play the games. Anyone else going to check it out?
Here is the link I used if anyone is interested ~ http://www.openvmk.com/

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Sat 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks Amy, will have to check it out. :D :goofy:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Hmmm, I am guessing Disney didn't sign off on that so it may have a short lifespan. Since, if I recall, the game had a heavy emphasis on buying content, how do they handle it? Is everything free now?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Hmmm, I am guessing Disney didn't sign off on that so it may have a short lifespan. Since, if I recall, the game had a heavy emphasis on buying content, how do they handle it? Is everything free now?
Not sure ~ the game wasn't open when I checked last night. Just now checked and it is open, so I will have a poke around and see. This is the message that displayed on first clicking on entering the game.
Unleash the magic... again!
0 Players Online!
You are about to enter open beta testing for OpenVMK.
The server may be having trouble handling the traffic. If a page won't load, just try refreshing.
During beta, the game is not completed. Although mostly functional, you will encounter bugs in the game, please bear with us as we fix these.
If you're using a Mac, you may encounter some display issues with chat bubbles and the Guest Rooms list. We are aware of these issues and are working to fix them.
By entering OpenVMK, you understand that the game is a modified version of a defunct game created by Disney. The creators of OpenVMK do not hold the rights to the content within the game.
Ready to relive the magic?
And I as I have gotten a teeny bit further, there is another disclaimer.
Keep in mind OpenVMK is not associated with Disney or VMK. This is a fan server of the game. Remember, we just opened and we're getting more traffic than we expected. Any problems or lag are temporary.
And that is as far as I have been able to get. Sounds like they are still being overwhelmed by old VMK fans coming back to play and "socialize"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Ok, so I was able to finally get in and design my avatar. As for functionality? Nope, the games are still "under construction" at this moment. The only one that doesn't show that is the Jungle Cruise game, but nothing happens when you click on it either. You can walk around and look at various things, but that seems to be it so far.
Finally found someone that would talk to me (note to self, make sure avatar has some deodorant!) and none of the games are functional yet. So, if you want to look around, then go for it, otherwise...yeah, I'll wait and see if the games start working before I spend any time in the VMK.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Sep Thu 12, 2013 12:39 am

I didn't register, but I was intrigued by the fact that 236 other people were online when I checked it out. I like when the old games get reverse-engineered and go public.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 12, 2013 8:48 am

It seems to be very popular with people that played the original game before it closed. When I popped in there were people chatting about how old they were, how upset they were, and how they cried when the game closed the first time. Most of the people had been in the tween age group so it looks like most of the players might be around 20 now. Until they have the games up and running, there isn't any draw for me...

silvermac
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by silvermac » Oct Mon 07, 2013 1:52 pm

It was such a great time waster! I loved all the games, area music, etc.

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Mon 20, 2014 11:02 pm

I enjoyed VMK a bit, while I was Living in Wyoming and did not have any opportunity to go to a real park, this little fun cartoony substitute was a nice distraction, but my young son (at the time) LOVED the game.

When I was at Wal Mart today I saw the DVDs for Herbie Fully Loaded sitting there for $5. I remember buying that movie when it first came out, not so much for the movie itself (though I loved the classic Love Bug movies) but because it came with a code for some VMK furniture and outfits, and Conor wanted THAT for his room and character.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 21, 2014 8:10 am

ZenMondo wrote:I enjoyed VMK a bit, while I was Living in Wyoming and did not have any opportunity to go to a real park, this little fun cartoony substitute was a nice distraction, but my young son (at the time) LOVED the game.

When I was at Wal Mart today I saw the DVDs for Herbie Fully Loaded sitting there for $5. I remember buying that movie when it first came out, not so much for the movie itself (though I loved the classic Love Bug movies) but because it came with a code for some VMK furniture and outfits, and Conor wanted THAT for his room and character.
:lol: Did you buy the movie? And does your son play the latest reincarnation of the game? I haven't been back on in awhile to see if any of the games are working within the VMK yet. It was no fun just wandering around and looking with nothing to do :(