Were any of you fans of VMK?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

ZenMondo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Were any of you fans of VMK?

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Tue 21, 2014 8:37 am

Well if it is that openvmk that was linked earlier in the thread, it is shut down, and I never got a chance to see it. I assume they probably got a cease and desist. The folks that built "Mouse World" in Second Life, good friends of mine (and I did some work and consulting for them) suffered a similar state.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 21, 2014 8:39 am

ZenMondo wrote:Well if it is that openvmk that was linked earlier in the thread, it is shut down, and I never got a chance to see it. I assume they probably got a cease and desist. The folks that built "Mouse World" in Second Life, good friends of mine (and I did some work and consulting for them) suffered a similar state.
:( Aww, it is, I just went and clicked and you are right. Too bad. I wonder why the first VMK was ok? Do you know if that was an official site of Disney?

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Feb Mon 10, 2014 5:32 am

Amy wrote:
ZenMondo wrote:Well if it is that openvmk that was linked earlier in the thread, it is shut down, and I never got a chance to see it. I assume they probably got a cease and desist. The folks that built "Mouse World" in Second Life, good friends of mine (and I did some work and consulting for them) suffered a similar state.
:( Aww, it is, I just went and clicked and you are right. Too bad. I wonder why the first VMK was ok? Do you know if that was an official site of Disney?
Indeed it was an officially run Disney site. I believe VMK went away shortly after the acquisition of Club Penguin, as those two things were pretty much competing for the same market (children). Of course this ignores that much of the VMK population were adults who were nostalgic about the Parks and often played alongside their children on different computers.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 10, 2014 8:52 am

ZenMondo wrote:
Amy wrote:
Indeed it was an officially run Disney site. I believe VMK went away shortly after the acquisition of Club Penguin, as those two things were pretty much competing for the same market (children). Of course this ignores that much of the VMK population were adults who were nostalgic about the Parks and often played alongside their children on different computers.
Ah, that makes sense. My niece loved Club Penguin when she was younger.

Marty Moose
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Marty Moose » Oct Wed 08, 2014 12:00 pm

I loved VMK. I played it with my daughters and made some online friends that I met at Disneyland when I was out there. Marty Moose here and on VMK! My oldest played and she was poptartpirate.
"Park's closed. Moose out front should have told ya."