Pirates of the Carribean game canned

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Pirates of the Carribean game canned

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 15, 2010 12:42 am

Looks like this one won't be seeing the light of day. Shame too, the promos looked fun.

http://kotaku.com/5664021/rumor-pirates ... propaganda

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Pirates of the Carribean game canned

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Fri 15, 2010 8:28 am

To bad! Looks like it would have been fun.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Oct Fri 15, 2010 8:48 am

That is a shame. It looked really good. Maybe they needed more people to help with EPIC Mickey as well as TRON. Maybe Pirates was just the odd man out.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Sadly that isn't likely for anyone there since that game is almost done. I think they noted that a few were kept to help with DLC for the next Tron game (Epic Mickey is being made by another company owned by Disney Interactive so there are no transfers to them either)

I would bet that Disney is going to shut down Propogranda very soon since they don't seem to have anything in the pipline past December of this year.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Fri 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Sadly that isn't likely for anyone there since that game is almost done. I think they noted that a few were kept to help with DLC for the next Tron game (Epic Mickey is being made by another company owned by Disney Interactive so there are no transfers to them either)

I would bet that Disney is going to shut down Propogranda very soon since they don't seem to have anything in the pipline past December of this year.

You would know Mr. Iger!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Oh, probably should use cred here then, friend of mine went through the same process when the game company he worked at closed. The only difference was they pushed out a half finished project shortly before they closed so that the employees could put it as a shipped title on their vitas.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Oh, probably should use cred here then, friend of mine went through the same process when the game company he worked at closed. The only difference was they pushed out a half finished project shortly before they closed so that the employees could put it as a shipped title on their vitas.
How did they push out an unfinished product?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 15, 2010 8:29 pm

The studio pushed out APB with little to no polish on the game and a flawed payment system. The end result was an MMO that was not very fun and did not attract customers (and the company shut down).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The studio pushed out APB with little to no polish on the game and a flawed payment system. The end result was an MMO that was not very fun and did not attract customers (and the company shut down).
That's what I was wondering about. It doesn't seem smart to release something that is only half-done :(

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 15, 2010 11:54 pm

It's sort of a strategic move for the company, if it was going to bomb might as well get some exposure and a tax deduction, and also a helpful move to the people who actually worked on it since they can count it as an illustrious "Shipped AAA Title" which will help them get a new job regardless of how bad a job they did on the game to begin with.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 16, 2010 6:01 am

Wizzard419 wrote:It's sort of a strategic move for the company, if it was going to bomb might as well get some exposure and a tax deduction, and also a helpful move to the people who actually worked on it since they can count it as an illustrious "Shipped AAA Title" which will help them get a new job regardless of how bad a job they did on the game to begin with.
I would think it would be better to have a smaller resume than have your name on something that tanked right out of the gate. Guess it is a good thing I'm not in the industry...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sat 16, 2010 12:33 pm

It is similar to pretty much any industry/field by being able to name drop I guess. Similar to saying "I worked at apple" even if you were at a low level position it still has more weight than if you were at a higher position in a no-name company.

Speaking of useless job certifications, that reminded me of this one guy who was boasting about he sigma six belts or whatnot and my only response was "Did it come with a matching purse?"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:...Speaking of useless job certifications, that reminded me of this one guy who was boasting about he sigma six belts or whatnot and my only response was "Did it come with a matching purse?"
Did he give you an immediate demonstration of his "belts"?! :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sat 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Sadly no, as his company called for me he had to more or less sit there and take it. :D

(Just for anyone who isn't aware Six Sigma is a bastarized teaching that was developed by Motorola to reduce production errors or something, the problem is that now everyone is paying for useless certification which makes them no more capable than learning how to arrange flowers).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 17, 2010 6:52 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Sadly no, as his company called for me he had to more or less sit there and take it. :D

(Just for anyone who isn't aware Six Sigma is a bastarized teaching that was developed by Motorola to reduce production errors or something, the problem is that now everyone is paying for useless certification which makes them no more capable than learning how to arrange flowers).
I'll have to ask my one sister-in-law if she knows about that program. She worked for Motorola a long time ago, and she is a programmer! :shock:
Hopefully the Pirates game will find new life here in a bit and then it can be released.