Free Tron Legacy Imax Preview Tickets

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Re: Free Tron Legacy Imax Preview Tickets

Post by momeja » Dec Fri 10, 2010 7:44 pm

elizabethswann wrote:
momeja wrote:Are people excited about this film? You know, the first one almost killed Disney, so I'm a little cautious about the sequel....

Well, we know Sub is going. How about the rest of you?
I'm real excited by it. I'll be buying my ticket in advance since my finals will be done before the Friday it comes out.
Be sure to post a review. I look forward to reading about it.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Fri 10, 2010 8:22 pm

I definitely will!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 1:06 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Dang!!! We won't be able to check out the screening. We'll have to wait along with everyone else. :(

I found this little article on Yahoo! about making Jeff Bridges appear younger.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap. ... bridges-ap
That is awesome! :shock: I wonder if I can be made to appear 30 years younger again :lol:

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Sat 18, 2010 2:00 am

I saw it in the IMAX and I was entranced throughout the entire movie. I thought it was wonderful. The CGI was great, seeing it in IMAX 3D made it even more exciting, and the soundtrack was phenomenal. I loved the characters and seeing the light cycles, disc wars and other new vehicles that were added.

momeja

Post by momeja » Dec Sat 18, 2010 5:15 pm

elizabethswann wrote:I saw it in the IMAX and I was entranced throughout the entire movie. I thought it was wonderful. The CGI was great, seeing it in IMAX 3D made it even more exciting, and the soundtrack was phenomenal. I loved the characters and seeing the light cycles, disc wars and other new vehicles that were added.
Nice. I can imagine that all the advances in technology over the last 30 years make the new virtual world pretty incredible.

slotofkit
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by slotofkit » Dec Tue 21, 2010 12:12 am

I saw it this weekend in 3d DBox format (moving seats), and I thought it was great! I agree that the soundtrack is phenomenal. I don't know why it's gotten some bad reviews and press, it's one of my favorites of the year. It did not disappoint with me.
--------------------------------------------
"It's a tribute to all nations but mostly America"
-Sam the Eagle
Muppet Vision 3D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Tue 21, 2010 1:05 am

Nice, how does a Dbox compare to an Imax showing?

To be blunt, the first one was not that great, but they both were supposed to be fun movies. The problem as of late is that the media critic (outside of possibly a literary one) has become mostly irrelevant. When they look at a mass consumer product from the angle of fine art they are always going to rip it to shreds, sometimes rightfully.

slotofkit

Post by slotofkit » Dec Tue 21, 2010 1:39 am

I haven't seen the IMAX showing yet, but I gotta say that the Dbox was an experience. And half the time it feels like you're getting a massage while watching a movie. It doesn't move all the time, but when there's vehicles moving (and a lot in this movie) you lean to the direction a vehicle is turning in. It made the light cycle sequence that much more exciting.

And I'm with you, Wizzard, about how critics are treating it. I wasn't expecting an Oscar Best Picture, but a fun, entertaining continuation of a cheesy cult classic. I think the critics are forgetting what it was like for the first Tron to premier, but that it's held up for so many years. Heck, I've grown up with the first, having renting Tron when it was first on video (well, my parents did for me), and I always thought it was cheesy, but fun. So, I would imagine that Legacy will last like its predecessor, and maybe even more so.
--------------------------------------------
"It's a tribute to all nations but mostly America"
-Sam the Eagle
Muppet Vision 3D

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Tue 21, 2010 2:54 am

I wasn't expecting a Best Picture either. It was a nice continuation of a cult classic like slotofkit said. It wasn't really meant to be taken seriously like all the other films that are being nominated for Golden Globes and SAG awards. It was nothing but fun, excitement and an interesting adventure.

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Dec Tue 21, 2010 8:47 am

My immediate reaction when I saw the "TRONified" Walt Disney Pictures logo at the beginning of the movie was "I wish the castle looked like that for REAL!" I realize that makes me an infidel.

Here are a few random thoughts about the movie: first of all, I liked it. It was structured more like an '80s movie, and the lack of a big action setpiece every five minutes will undoubtedly put some people off, but I don't mind it. This is a film that was made to be experienced on the big screen. If you wait for the DVD, the visuals won't wash over you like they're meant to.

Tell me something: early in the film, when ENCOM's board of directors is patting themselves on the back over how they charge an ever-increasing amount of money for a product that they're too arrogant to improve, did that remind anyone of the way a certain company (hint: it rhymes with Dalt Wisney Incorporated) runs its theme park business?

Finally, the one thought that kept recurring as I watched the movie is how cool it would be if Tomorrowland dispensed with all the Flash Gordon-y clutter and adopted that sleek, electroluminescent look. It'll never happen, of course. Not until I become Walt Disney World Dictator-For-Life, anyway.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Tue 21, 2010 9:53 am

Actually, I'm luke-warm about the film. I saw it in 3D but found it wasted in that format. They were trying to do a Wizard of Oz kind of thing by having the opening and closing parts of the film in 2D while the world of TRON was in 3D. But the TRON world was all in the dark and bland (you would think it's a world inside a monochrome monitor of old), and like last year's Christmas Carol - the 3D effects lose something in the dark. Compare it to Meet the Robinsons and Avatar - much brighter films - where the 3D effect was incredible in comparison. Here, with TRON: LEGACY, I thought it was a waste. I would rather have seen it in 2D. To me, the film was needlessly too dark. Sometimes it felt like it was trying to be more of a MATRIX rip-off than a sequel to the first TRON.

I will at least say this one had more story than the first. I also think it was better acted than the first as well, especially by Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner (wished he had a larger role). I did like the first for the fact that other than people most everything in the film was computer generated for sets whereas this film just had traditional sets with computer generated backgrounds.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Dec Tue 21, 2010 11:10 am

I have a question: Does David Warner show up as Dillinger/Sark? Even as a quick cameo in the background would be awesome. Even if he doesn't, I'm sure I'll like the movie anyway.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Tue 21, 2010 12:49 pm

MadEye wrote:I have a question: Does David Warner show up as Dillinger/Sark? Even as a quick cameo in the background would be awesome. Even if he doesn't, I'm sure I'll like the movie anyway.
No, but we do have a character that is his son (played by some minor actor). I thought that would somehow play a pivotal point into the plot, but that wasn't the case. He was a superfluous character. But David Warner is not seen at all in the film.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Tue 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Future Guy wrote:Tell me something: early in the film, when ENCOM's board of directors is patting themselves on the back over how they charge an ever-increasing amount of money for a product that they're too arrogant to improve, did that remind anyone of the way a certain company (hint: it rhymes with Dalt Wisney Incorporated) runs its theme park business?
Really? I thought of both Windows and Apple corp.s from the boardroom scene.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 21, 2010 1:09 pm

We saw it in IMAX 3D this weekend and both LOVED it! It was great the way they tied the old and the new together and how (like Future Guy mentioned) it was an 80's style film. It didn't have things blowing up every 5 minutes (that gets old quickly in my book) to keep the action going.

The soundtrack was great, but I'm not sure I would like it as a stand alone without seeing the movie. The music is perfect for the scenes within the movie though. (of course, having those wonderful 80's tracks for us "old folks" to sing along with wasn't bad either ;) )

Future Guy: I feel like we agree on quite a few things here... 1) When we saw the castle "TRONified" we both said "WHOA!!!" It would be AMAZING if they could use that as an overlay for maybe Halloween... 2) Totally got the same feeing about the execs. (though Mindflipper, you have a point) I kinda pictured Sam as Walt (or Walt's ghost) in that scene.... 3) I couldn't help but think about the Peoplemover in DL throughout the movie. They really could do some great things with it, and I agree that design would be great for TL!

Did anyone else get a "Jack Sparrow" vibe from Michael Sheen's performance?