Free Tron Legacy Imax Preview Tickets

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Free Tron Legacy Imax Preview Tickets

Post by mindflipper » Oct Sat 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Sorry, but after years of not having seen the film, when I finally saw Tron again I thought it looked sooooooooo bad. It's a film that screams to be updated like Lucas did the original Star Wars Trilogy!

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Oct Sat 23, 2010 11:38 pm

What do you expect from a cheesy 80s movie that focuses a lot on computer graphics?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sun 24, 2010 1:14 am

I wonder if it would actually be difficult to create the low end 3D effects from the first tron movie with today's tech? Since everything's improved so much things like shaders exist and lighting effects now no longer look like everything was filmed on the moon and everything is made to not look crappy.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Mon 25, 2010 8:21 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I wonder if it would actually be difficult to create the low end 3D effects from the first tron movie with today's tech? Since everything's improved so much things like shaders exist and lighting effects now no longer look like everything was filmed on the moon and everything is made to not look crappy.
As the actors were blue-screened and had the computer graphics added, I can't see it would be a hard problem as most of it would be computer graphics and be easily rendered 3D. The problem is it would be a lot of computer graphics (from beginning to end)...

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Oct Mon 25, 2010 12:09 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:I wonder if it would actually be difficult to create the low end 3D effects from the first tron movie with today's tech? Since everything's improved so much things like shaders exist and lighting effects now no longer look like everything was filmed on the moon and everything is made to not look crappy.
As the actors were blue-screened and had the computer graphics added, I can't see it would be a hard problem as most of it would be computer graphics and be easily rendered 3D. The problem is it would be a lot of computer graphics (from beginning to end)...
Well, considering that it takes place inside a computer game/mainframe, hopefully they don't make it look too tacky or whatnot.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Oct Thu 28, 2010 10:05 am

Just got this email this morning from the TRON folks:

You are about to experience the explosion of technology and imagination at TRON Night, an action-packed IMAX 3D experience. TRON Night will be your first opportunity to step onto the Grid and witness the cutting-edge, 3D world of Walt Disney Pictures’ high-tech saga “TRON: Legacy.” This is an exclusive event, featuring a 20-plus-minute sneak peek of the highly anticipated film, arriving in theaters December 17th, 2010.

Please remember to bring your printed ticket, a valid photo ID, and your sense of adventure. Plan to arrive one hour prior to showtime – your selected theater location and showtime are printed on your ticket. If you arrive late, your ticket may be given away to guests waiting in the standby line. Your ticket will admit you plus one additional person.

Although tickets are sold out, a standby line will form at each location to fill empty seats. This seating is not guaranteed and will be awarded to ticket-holders first.

For further questions, please visit the TronNight 2010 FAQ page This will be an unforgettable ride – glad to have you aboard.

I will let you all know about how it goes tonight! Is anyone else going?????

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 28, 2010 2:31 pm

I am. Depending on the location there appears to also be guests. Odds are the OC ones won't have anyone since they are going to have guests at DCA for the special event.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Just got back and it was a lot of fun. I got a light up hat and signed poster from the writers(I think it's the same 2 that are at DCA tonight) as well as a handful of other posters and crap/swag. There was hardly anyone there so if you showed up you got in.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Thu 28, 2010 10:13 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Just got back and it was a lot of fun. I got a light up hat and signed poster from the writers(I think it's the same 2 that are at DCA tonight) as well as a handful of other posters and crap/swag. There was hardly anyone there so if you showed up you got in.
WOW!! Now that's cool!!!!!!!!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Oct Thu 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Just got back and it was a lot of fun. I got a light up hat and signed poster from the writers(I think it's the same 2 that are at DCA tonight) as well as a handful of other posters and crap/swag. There was hardly anyone there so if you showed up you got in.
That's amazing! I would have loved to have gone but I did see a free screening of Iron Man 2.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 29, 2010 6:22 am

Fun! Free stuff is always cool :cool: I wonder why more people didn't bother to show up? :(

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Oct Fri 29, 2010 9:15 am

I had a great time last night! The 23 minute preview was awesome, what they did was show a handful of scenes, bouncing through the movie. Sam is a great character, and Jeff Bridges looks great! The technology and graphics are amazing. The film itself is very dark (color) because there are not scenes outside in sunlight, so they have to make up for it in florescent colors of machinery and lights on people. It was a bummer when it it ended, we wanted it to keep going. And the 23 minutes went by in an instant, it was riveting!

I too got some posters, but nothing else for us down here in Miami. The funniest part was that I went with my grown daughter, and I think we were maybe two of about 10 girls there... it was a guy night. The guys that were there were what I would call, Techno-Geeks. You know what I mean the kind that are Trekky kind of people? I seriously don't want to offend anyone, like they say in Seinfeld "not that there's anything wrong with that!". Anyways, while waiting for the movie to start, the guys behind us were talking about aliens (like real aliens, not a movie), and then talking about how when we fly to Mars that our bones will do something when we get off the spacecraft etc. etc... Seriously funny stuff. But they were so serious! Anyways, speaking of Geeks, I was the only Disney Geek that I could see that was there!

So, coming out of the movie, the people running the event found us immediately, and wanted the point of view of girls/women that just saw the preview. And being that we were one of the only girls there, we got picked to be interviewed on camera. Getting back to the amount of people there, I was surprised to not see it totally full. It was only about 1/2 full. Kinda weird because they made such a big deal about tickets being sold out and overselling the event. All in all, a fun night, a great movie preview, a cool poster, and can't wait to see it!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Oct Fri 29, 2010 10:27 am

Oh, it was only a 23 minute preview? I thought it was the entire movie! Then again I saw Iron Man 2 what...five days or so before the scheduled release? I don't remember.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Read the title of the thread. :D

Apparently all over the world they were having moderate turnouts. I know some people here didn't go because the world series was on, and odds are they oversold just to make sure they would have a decent group. With the required timing and it being a weeknight you had to work close to wherever your theater was so that you would be in line at the required time so some people probably realized they couldn't make it.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Oct Fri 29, 2010 5:19 pm

Ohhh, preview. Silly me. I kept thinking it was a screening of the entire movie. Well, I can wait until December!