Disney's Mobile Magic App for smart phones?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

BayLakeTowers
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Disney's Mobile Magic App for smart phones?

Post by BayLakeTowers » Sep Tue 28, 2010 8:43 am

Since my family is leaving for WDW this weekend, I though I'd try out Disney's Mobile Magic (MM) App. I thought it would be good to hunt down characters. However, I own a blackberry and apparently the app does not work on smart phones.
Has anyone used MM? Does anyone know of a good equivalent for the Blackberry?

viking245
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Re: Disney's Mobile Magic App for smart phones?

Post by viking245 » Sep Tue 28, 2010 12:30 pm

You can use their "Mobile Website". It looks like it gives the same things as the Verizon app.
m.disneyworld.com

Other things to load your phone up with:

Steven Soares site
Main site http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/
Mobile site http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/index2.htm
This gives park hours, upcoming shows, special events and performances at WDW listing times and locations. i.e.
  • Dapper Dans
    Barbershop Quartet on Main Street U.S.A.
    Sunday-Wednesday, Friday & Saturday at 9:00, 9:55, 11:05 & 11:50am, 1:00, 1:50, 2:30, 3:35 & 5:00pm
    Thursday at 8:00, 9:00, 9:55 & 11:05am, 1:00, 1:50, 2:30, 3:35 & 5:00pm
    Length of show: 20 minutes
Ride Hopper Lite
This app gives ride wait times, though I'm not sure how accurate they are.

Touring Plans - "Lines"
http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/lines
A better ride wait times. The free version limits what rides it'll show you. The full version costs about $10(?) but it is very close to accurate. There is a feature where people actually at the park can submit actual (real time) wait times they see. When we were there in July, there were quite a few people who were submitting. It also shows weather and crowd forecast as well as park hours. That same $10ish gets you access to their touring plans they've made up. These actually worked very well. Follow the plan and you can get the most in with minimal wait times. Here's a samplehttp://touringplans.com/plans/37179

Disney World Online Dining Reservations
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining/
Thought a little cumbersome to navigate on the phone, a potentially useful tool.

Or you could just program in the phone number:
WDW Dine 407-939-3463

BayLakeTowers

Post by BayLakeTowers » Sep Tue 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks. I'd seen something about the "Lines" app, but wasn't sure about it since it registered me with the touring plans. I think Disney has the only app that posted a more accurate Character appearance. Their website is no better than getting the paper insert of times and shows. I was hoping for an app that posted which characters were out rather than a generic "Characters appear between 9am and 6pm in Town Square".

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 28, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm not sure if the iphone appstore WDW apps are also being/been made for other phones but hopefully they are. The one thing I really hate about the disney version was that it cost about $10 for a period of use rather than a one time fee, plus the free apps provided the same information.

viking245

Post by viking245 » Sep Tue 28, 2010 3:04 pm

Sorry. I guess I got little side tracked.

From Kingdom Magic Vacations:
"Disney Tip: Have your heart set on meeting a specific character? Then go to City Hall located in Town Square and the wonderful Disney folks there can make a phone call and locate where and when your favorite Disney Character will be available."

...and I hope it's not "Characters appear between 9am and 6pm in Town Square". ;)

BayLakeTowers

Post by BayLakeTowers » Sep Tue 28, 2010 3:45 pm

"Disney Tip: Have your heart set on meeting a specific character? Then go to City Hall located in Town Square and the wonderful Disney folks there can make a phone call and locate where and when your favorite Disney Character will be available."
I've used this service at DHS (or their City Hall equivalent) to find out about a street performance of Jack Diamond. They were very helpful and accurate, so I'll have to try it out in MK. I guess for this trip I'll stick to traditional paper schedules.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 28, 2010 8:29 pm

viking245 wrote:Sorry. I guess I got little side tracked.

From Kingdom Magic Vacations:
...and I hope it's not "Characters appear between 9am and 6pm in Town Square". ;)
I didn't know they would do this! This would be very helpful to someone who really wanted to catch a particular character :D