Disney Oppresses Young Woman

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

PirateFan31
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Re: Disney Oppresses Young Woman

Post by PirateFan31 » Aug Thu 19, 2010 9:40 am

Thank you all for your support, I will get the petition online right away.

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Boilerdude » Aug Thu 19, 2010 9:59 am

cousininmiami wrote:Well, I'm going to get my two cents in... however I do feel that Subsonic is the wrong forum for religious and/or political topics...Subsonic makes me smile... not get mad.
In hind sight, I am 100% with this cousininmiami. This is something for the DisBoards :lol:

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Aug Thu 19, 2010 10:13 am

MW1218 wrote:And read the article, it specifically says that she learned about freedom of religion as part of her citizenship test, which she only passed in June. Either she wasn't aware of the Bill of Rights prior to this, or she didn't think they applied to her, not being a legal citizen. Perhaps once she passed the test she felt that she was entitled to the rights of every American.
I did read the article. If her religion meant that much to her, then she would have worn it the day she was hired and everyday after that. Knowledge or no prior knowledge of the Bill of Rights isn't a viable argument on this one.

cousininmiami - No one is getting mad (that I know of). Differences of opinion make people think about why they believe what they believe. We can have a healthy discussion on this, especially since it involves Disney. This is a Forum to discuss opinions not for everyone to agree. It would be a boring place if we all agreed all of the time.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Thu 19, 2010 10:18 am

No, not mad at anyone here, just mad in general at the state that the country is in regarding suits. I don't like the idea of anyone making money off of this. And yes would be boring if we all agreed... I agree ! Ha
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Aug Thu 19, 2010 10:28 am

Just found this on MousePad...

"After today's press conference, which will also be attended by representatives of the Greater LA office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, reporters are invited to bring cameras and follow Boudlal as she attempts to report for her scheduled shift at Storytellers Cafe."

Now this makes you sick.

cousininmiami - You could always agree with me, that would be cool and not boring. :D
Last edited by NaCler on Aug Thu 19, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Thu 19, 2010 11:05 am

NaCler wrote:Just found this on MousePad...

"After today's press conference, which will also be attended by representatives of the Greater LA office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, reporters are invited to bring cameras and follow Boudlal as she attempts to report for her scheduled shift at Storytellers Cafe."

Now this makes you sick.

cousininmiami - You could always agree with me, that would cool and not boring. :D
OK! That seals it, it's for the MONEY and the PUBLICITY!! Didn't something like this just happen in France?
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Aug Thu 19, 2010 11:32 am

Yep, I think you hit it right on the head there Jacca.

I have to google the France thing, but I think you are right about that too.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Thu 19, 2010 11:53 am

On a side note, If I were ever to fall down and go boom (GET HURT), I want it to happen at Disney!!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Thu 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Without expressing any comment concerning religious angle of this story, consider this: when anyone agrees to become a Castmember at Disney, you do agree to wear whatever costume/uniform/outfit that is appropriate for the part you are playing, whether it is a character in the park or you sweeping the streets. This also includes all the restaurants. If you look at the restaurants, they all wear pretty much the exact standard outfit that is required. By agreeing to be a castmember, you agree to these terms as part of your employment that you will adhere to the costume standards. If you choose not to abide by these terms of the employment, it is not the employer's fault when it is your own personal choice.

In this case, Disney did try to mitigate the situation by finding alternative work assignments which were refused. When all facts of the case are heard, and evaluated properly, I don't think Disney is in the wrong as many people or the press believe they are.

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Thu 19, 2010 1:54 pm

mindflipper wrote:Without expressing any comment concerning religious angle of this story, consider this: when anyone agrees to become a Castmember at Disney, you do agree to wear whatever costume/uniform/outfit that is appropriate for the part you are playing, whether it is a character in the park or you sweeping the streets. This also includes all the restaurants. If you look at the restaurants, they all wear pretty much the exact standard outfit that is required. By agreeing to be a castmember, you agree to these terms as part of your employment that you will adhere to the costume standards. If you choose not to abide by these terms of the employment, it is not the employer's fault when it is your own personal choice.

In this case, Disney did try to mitigate the situation by finding alternative work assignments which were refused. When all facts of the case are heard, and evaluated properly, I don't think Disney is in the wrong as many people or the press believe they are.
Very insightful! You hit it on the head there... the press shoving it down are throats once again!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Aug Thu 19, 2010 4:57 pm

http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/ ... linfo.html

Appearance:
Cast Members are part of the show. Therefore Cast Members need to follow the Disney Look, a set of appearance guidelines that is designed to complement both Cast Members and the show. Additionally, as part of their role Cast Members may be required to wear a costume issued from our Wardrobe department.

For males in an on-stage role, hair must be cut above the ear and off the back of the collar with no defined cut or lines and must be a natural color. Males should be clean-shaven and may have a mustache that should not extend past the corners of the lip. No earrings, necklaces or bracelets may be worn. One ring on each hand and a wristwatch are acceptable. Any candidates with visible tattoos must comply with the tattoo policy in order to be considered for a themed area.

For females, the Disney Look means hair must be one natural shade, with no frosting. Makeup should be natural looking and lightly blended. Earrings may be post-style, no larger than a quarter and necklaces and bracelets are not allowed in costumed areas. One ring on each hand and a wristwatch are acceptable. Fingernails may be one-fourth of an inch beyond the fingertip and a clear or natural polish may be worn in most areas. Any candidates with visible tattoos must comply with the tattoo policy in order to be considered for a themed area.

Requests for an exception to the Disney Look policy for medical reasons must be presented to the Health Services Department with supporting medical documentation. A copy of the request and medical information will be retained at Health Services. A statement of approved restrictions will be issued at Health Services to be delivered to your manager.

Any requests for an exception to the Disney Look policy for religious beliefs or questions regarding the accommodation of medical restrictions or religious beliefs must be directed to the Cast Image and Appearance office or the Human Resources representative.

For the interview process, we recommend applicants dress professionally. For hourly roles: well-groomed, clean clothes with a neat appearance. For professional roles: standard business or office attire is appropriate.

She was offered another position, where she could wear her religous costume.
Read the artical.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

Watch the video.
http://www.breitbart.tv/muslim-employee ... ead-scarf/

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Thu 19, 2010 5:22 pm

So long as this remains civil and nobody starts selling their religions I don't see any issues with this topic.

It is a very interesting case and I am going to watch it play out from the shadows. I will agree with what mindflipper said. When all the facts come out, I don't think Disney will be the big bad wolf they are being made out to be.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Aug Fri 20, 2010 2:29 am

Jacca5660 wrote: Didn't something like this just happen in France?
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, they are banning the wearing of the burka in France which is a full face veil.
Other than that I will not comment on this topic as I'm not sure Subsonic is the right outlet this is a family site.

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Aug Fri 20, 2010 7:34 pm

From the article that ericpabear linked...
"They're saying because I'm Arab, because I'm Moroccan, because I'm Muslim, they don't want to see me in the front."

This is completely untrue! What about the 2 years she worked about there before she decided to "test" the waters by wearing it? They didn't mind then---they only mind that she isn't in 'costume.' I agree with the other comments about costumes and such...Mary Poppins doesnt wear this nor do Mickey or Donald when they come into the parks.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Fri 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Somebody has gotten a hold of her and told her there was a lot of money to be made!!