Disney making money, but the theme parks are not as hot..

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Re: Disney making money, but the theme parks are not as hot.

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Sat 21, 2010 5:55 pm

indianagirl21 wrote:That is something I should look into about the Eisner Era and exactly what its goals were about Disney. Whether he wanted to make the park accessible to many might be true, from what I remember based on as a kid... Disneyland was one of those places I didn't get to enjoy often until I became an adult because the expense was too high for my parents.

I grew up very middle class but hardly ever went to disneyland. Maybe once a year at most.

If that is true about Disney before Eisner its kinda a sad that Disney turned into that... but when it really comes down to it, our world is run by money and power and Disney has a lot of both.
Yeah, Eisner really shook it up. Even cartoonists such as Berke Breathed (Bloom County) were making fun of him at the time. But apparently that is what was needed to keep Disney alive at the time, and while it kinda stinks in a way, it's probably a good thing over all because as you said, "...money and power...". If it weren't for Disney Corp's financial saavy, I don't know if they would be as big or as awesome as they are today. Magic costs money, and we are all willing to pay for a taste of magic. So unless you just totally hate capitalism, you can't complain about what it takes to build a successful entertainment empire like what Disney is right now. As the common saying goes, "you get what you pay for."

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Sat 21, 2010 5:59 pm

A lot of the credit has to go to Frank Wells. Without him Eisner (The son of a @*^$^) never gets off the ground!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Sat 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:A lot of the credit has to go to Frank Wells. Without him Eisner (The son of a @*^$^) never gets off the ground!
True dat! But most people don't even know that! :shock:

indianagirl21
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by indianagirl21 » Aug Sun 22, 2010 9:33 am

Mousekedude wrote:
Yeah, Eisner really shook it up. Even cartoonists such as Berke Breathed (Bloom County) were making fun of him at the time. But apparently that is what was needed to keep Disney alive at the time, and while it kinda stinks in a way, it's probably a good thing over all because as you said, "...money and power...". If it weren't for Disney Corp's financial saavy, I don't know if they would be as big or as awesome as they are today. Magic costs money, and we are all willing to pay for a taste of magic. So unless you just totally hate capitalism, you can't complain about what it takes to build a successful entertainment empire like what Disney is right now. As the common saying goes, "you get what you pay for."
I hear you and agree! and as I am a premium pass holder every year and buy movies and merchandise often... Disney is well worth the money I pay