Is that...?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Is that...?

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Wed 11, 2010 10:39 am

I attended my sister's wedding this past weekend. And I know, at first this doesn't read like it belongs in this category, but bear with me, I like a lot of exposition to my stories. To begin, my sister and her now husband met while they both worked at Disney (unfortunately, they no longer do.) They do have a fondness for Disney - but it is no where near my, um, idée fixe - so I was pleasantly surprised when the place cards used Mickey and Minnie stickers to denote the attendee's dinner choice. After the best man and matron of honor gave their toasts to the new couple, the DJ announced it was time for dinner. Then all of a sudden my ears perked up, I recognized Jerry Orbach inviting the diners to be his guest. I was thoroughly delighted to hear some Disney music (as well as a little surprised the DJ had it available). And as if on cue, as the song crescendos and Lumiere sings "course by course..." the waiters come in with trays loaded with the first course of dinner. My sister said it wasn't planned, but it was too perfect to be a coincidence. After "Be Our Guest" the DJ switched to some instrumental pieces to provide a little background music for dinner. As soon as the instrumentals started I was even more excited and startled to realize that it was the Wonders of Life music, starting with "Celestial Soda Pop."

I found out the DJ is a closet Disney fan, and has a large library of Disney music (though it is rarely requested). I didn't get a chance to talk with him, and by the end of the evening was in too "festive a mood" to do remember I wanted to. But if you are ever in need of a DJ in the Troy, MI area look up DJ Kool-Aid and maybe tell him about the joyous place we know of as Subsonic Radio.

Anyone else have any surprised instances of Disney music?
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Is that...?

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Wed 11, 2010 11:26 am

That is so awesome!!!! 8-) Wish I could've had that DJ for our wedding!

We included Disney in a fews ways on our wedding day...the Groom's cake had the Mickey/Minnie cake topper, when B-dude and I marched in it was the Pirates song from the movie and when we were leaving the reception and saying our "good-bye" we had our Mouse Bride/Groom ears on! (most of our guests knew we were Disney nuts and were headed there on our honeymoon).

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Wed 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Wow! That's awesome!!! I love the "Be Our Guest" and Wonders of Life music ideas! :D

We didn't really have any Disney at our wedding. :( This is why we have long said that whenever we decide to have a vow renewal party, every aspect will be "Disney-fied"...after all, this time we will be doing all the planning! Though we'd absolutely LOVE to have it in WDW, that probably won't happen for a looooonnngg time.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 11, 2010 1:10 pm

That is so cool! I would love to have all Disney music when I get married but I suppose my groom would have to be ok with it. And my friends and family might find it a bit odd...they just don't get it sometimes :(
I stopped by a friend's house over the weekend and she leaves the tv on for her birds. I kept hearing the start of something that sounded like a Disney song and when I looked over it was Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. Does anyone know if that show used some Disney music? Or was it a Disney production? I never watched the show so I am not familiar with it...

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 11, 2010 2:39 pm

MmeLeota send me an invite to that Disney Renewal of Vows Party!

And Amy, doesn't the bride plan the wedding? And isn't the groom's first lesson in being husband is to learn: "whatever she wants, she gets"?

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Aug Wed 11, 2010 3:31 pm

We had the Mickey and Minnie cake topper, Mickey and Minnie napkins, and Mickey champagne flutes. (For our sparkling cider because we were underage!) My husband also changed into a Mickey vest for the reception. Our DJ also had a hidden fondness for Disney music during dinner. We are good friends of his and I have often heard people teasing him about playing it. Or worse, I have even heard people complaining!!

Amy...my husband is NOT the rabid Disney Fan that I am but he didn't object to any of it. :)

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Wed 11, 2010 4:02 pm

mindflipper wrote:MmeLeota send me an invite to that Disney Renewal of Vows Party!
Of course!!! I would never leave out our Sub-family! :D

indianagirl21
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by indianagirl21 » Aug Wed 11, 2010 8:34 pm

I love that the DJ was a Disney Fan. Some of my all time favorite songs are from Disney Movies :-)

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Aug Thu 12, 2010 11:28 am

Yes. Our local amusement park has been playing Disney music for the entrance music for some time now (shhhh. Don't tell Disney.). As this particular amusement park is pretty lame - more like a cheap carnival that put down roots in one spot - the Disney music adds a lot to my overall feeling about being there.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Fri 13, 2010 9:53 am

momeja wrote:Yes. Our local amusement park has been playing Disney music for the entrance music for some time now (shhhh. Don't tell Disney.). As this particular amusement park is pretty lame - more like a cheap carnival that put down roots in one spot - the Disney music adds a lot to my overall feeling about being there.
Shhh, I wouldn't let the word get out. Disney has been known to sue for something as little as a daycare using Mickey Mouse. I couldn't imagine what they would do if they found out another park is using their music.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Aug Fri 13, 2010 12:32 pm

Sea World of Orlando has some of Disney's old Tomorrowland music. Personally, I think the soundtrack before 2003 in Tomorrowland was much, much, much better.