Creative Disney Crafting

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Creative Disney Crafting

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Wed 18, 2010 2:10 pm

How's it going Mousekedude??? Any updates on your project? :D
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Wed 18, 2010 4:03 pm

cousininmiami wrote:How's it going Mousekedude??? Any updates on your project? :D
Funny you should ask.....

Mousekedude Builds a Shadowbox…… Episode 1

Greetings, Mousecrafting fans!
This is our first installment in the epic story of how Mousekedude builds a Mickey-shaped shadowbox for his sweetie, Mouseoholic, to display her Disney pin collection.

We begin with our hero sitting in his favorite Tex-Mex restaurant, munching a breakfast taco. He knows this is the big day: the day when he starts his project. Beads of sweat form on his forehead as he ponders the massive undertaking before him. Let’s listen to his thoughts:
(munch, munch…) “Oh man, how am I going to do this?”
(chomp, slurp….) “Well, I just have to figure out how to make a pattern and go from there.”
(munch, smack, slobber, gulp…..) “Okay, I’ll go to Home Depot and get some stuff to get started.”

And so, friends, the mayhem begins.
Our hero rushes off to his favorite Man Zone Toy Store to choose some material to make a pattern.

Material successfully purchased, he loads it in his truck and races home.

The first item on the agenda: figure out how to make a pattern. Mousekedude carefully sets up a Mickey-shaped mouse pad from Mouseoholic’s computer desk, and places a flashlight just right so as to project a shadow onto his pattern material, which he then traces.

Cutting out the pattern.

Well, there you have it, folks! The successful creation of a pattern from which the rest of the shadow box can be built!

Stay tuned for our next episode, when our hero says, “How in the world am I going to form the box sides?!” (who knows when that will be… might be a while….) :lol:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Wed 18, 2010 4:20 pm

It's the PIRATES of the Home Depot!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:It's the PIRATES of the Home Depot!!
:lol: Good one Jacca!
Very innovative way to start the project M-dude! Smart thinking on using existing materials to make a reliable pattern...are you planning on using wood for the sides?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Wed 18, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm very impressed with the first episode M-dude!!! You're very creative! :D

Mouseoholic
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Mouseoholic » Aug Wed 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Well, the dishes did not get done but a good start to a magical home for my Disney cherishibles is a fair exchange...

Thanks sweetie!!! You're the best!

Ok, so I have been so busy with both work and have not had time for Subsonic. To catch up let me say....

Jacca, Baloo is a treasure! So creative.

Amy, I love the cupcakes!

Boilerbabe, love the new avatar! Crafty!!!

Mouseoholic!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Mouseoholic wrote:Well, the dishes did not get done but a good start to a magical home for my Disney cherishibles is a fair exchange...
Mouseoholic!
Hmmm, I notice Mouskedude left that little tidbit of information out of his Episode I!
I'm thinking the beads of sweat might have been from the taco sauce and not worry over the project too :lol:
The Man Zone Toy Store is what I shall forever now call the Home Depot though!! :lol:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Wed 18, 2010 7:32 pm

Thank you, everyone (bowing humbly....). Yes, I did neglect doing the dishes as I had promised, but I figured I would score a few "good husband" points by starting the shadow box to make up for it. :lol:

Yes, Amy, I plan to use wood for the sides. There are a couple different methods I'm considering: one is to make a steam box to bend hardwood planks, and the other is to use thin layers of veneer stacked and glued. Each method requires the building of molds and the use of numerous clamps, so I just have to decide which route to take. That will be the subject of the next episode, I think. Can't you just feel the suspense building up? :lol:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Wed 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Ooooooh, suspense building!!! :mrgreen:

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Wed 18, 2010 8:28 pm

I can't wait to see the finished product!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Mousekedude wrote:Thank you, everyone (bowing humbly....). Yes, I did neglect doing the dishes as I had promised, but I figured I would score a few "good husband" points by starting the shadow box to make up for it. :lol:

Yes, Amy, I plan to use wood for the sides. There are a couple different methods I'm considering: one is to make a steam box to bend hardwood planks, and the other is to use thin layers of veneer stacked and glued. Each method requires the building of molds and the use of numerous clamps, so I just have to decide which route to take. That will be the subject of the next episode, I think. Can't you just feel the suspense building up? :lol:
I wondered about the method...I was thinking both steam and veneer myself. My one brother, the one that lives in Cali, is quite the woodworker as was my Dad so I know a bit about sawdust and stuff. Not that I can build anything, but I can appreciate good craftsmanship when I see it. "Great" husband points would have been scored with doing both the dishes and starting the shadow box. You spent a little too much time in the Man Zone Toy Box grunting though didn't you?!?!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Wed 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Mousekedude wrote:Thank you, everyone (bowing humbly....). Yes, I did neglect doing the dishes as I had promised, but I figured I would score a few "good husband" points by starting the shadow box to make up for it. :lol:

JUST AN IDEA: You could always go tongue and groove, then sand to shape. This way you'd be able to use heavier wood, but you'd have to go short lengths to follow the form. Anyway you go is going to be labor intensive.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Wed 18, 2010 9:19 pm

Too bad M-dude did not get video of himself in The Man Zone Toy Box, that should've been part of episode one! :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 18, 2010 10:04 pm

I have to admit there was a bit of intense suspense in the first episode - Mousekedude and a power saw: a potentially frightening combination... :shock: :wink:

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Aug Wed 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Excellent job dude... Looking forward to the rest. Maybe I can get inspired and do something nice like this for my sweetie. BTW... those breakfast tacos must be pretty good as I think you've mentioned them on other threads. Is it a chain or an awesome hole-in-the-wall near the house?