New Haunted Mansion Movie In The Works

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: New Haunted Mansion Movie In The Works

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Boilerdude wrote:Any idea why they did not pick Timothy Burton to do this movie?
Ooooh! That would have been a great choice! Maybe he can at least be chosen to do the soundtrack?!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Boilerdude wrote:Any idea why they did not pick Timothy Burton to do this movie?
It would seem like such a natural and logical choice - but who knows what wisdom in the great minds of Disney made the decision and why.

Maybe it could be he's doing another film already? I heard he may be attached to Depp's Dark Shadows movie project.

As for the soundtrack, Amy, they could try Danny Elfman, but I'm guessing he's just too pricey for them. Given how they went with Mark Mancina last time, I don't think they would have him do this film. I'm surprised they didn't try for John Debney last time. He's the one who twisted the GGG theme from the HM into the Phantom Manor soundtrack, and re-scored the Haunted Mansion Holiday at DLR/TDL with Elfman's original score. If any one should seem like a natural to do the music for the film, it would seem like it should be John Debney.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 04, 2010 1:37 pm

:oops: Yeah, I meant Danny Elfman...he works with Tim Burton a lot so I get them confused :( He probably does command a pretty penny these days!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Wed 04, 2010 1:45 pm

TIm Burton was my first thought to do a HM film and I would be that he would hit the nail on the head...hmm, Johnny Depp as the Hatbox Ghost (or perhaps the Ghost Host or Master Gracey) and Helena Bonham-Carter as Constance???

I am concerned that Del Toro will make the movie too scary and that the original ride will be changed around to fit. I am not into horror anything and I love the HM because of the mystery of the story and the whimsical characters. They never really scared me...even as a kid. I'm nervous for what might be involved in the movie, though I am excited about the Hatbox Ghost. The idea of it is awesome and there have long been rumors that he will make his appearance in the mansion....we shall see if it will finally happen with this movie.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Del Toro also did the last Hellboy film too - which was creepy and weird, but not a horror film as much as an action-comedy film.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Wed 04, 2010 2:28 pm

If it stays along the lines of Hellboy, it might be ok. I can't make a comparison to Pan's Labyrinth as I have not seen it.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Wed 04, 2010 10:50 pm

mindflipper wrote:Del Toro also did the last Hellboy film too - which was creepy and weird, but not a horror film as much as an action-comedy film.
Good thing my sister isn't here because she'd love you for mentioning Hellboy.

leblanan
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by leblanan » Aug Thu 05, 2010 10:12 am

mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:
Boilerdude wrote:Only worse movie about a Disney Ride was the Tower of Terror movie. I literally lost I.Q. points after watching it.
I think they are probably about equal on the suckiness scale!
Hey, everybody, are we forgetting the Country Bears?
Absolutley right... worst adaptation of a theme park ride ever!

I think the first movie had a lot of potential, but it just missed its mark. From what I've heard him say about this film, it's going to be amazing. You can tell he really knows his Disneyland and Haunted Mansion history and it's going to be a great film
"now, bring me that horizon"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Thu 05, 2010 10:47 am

I wonder if Del Toro will incorporate the (in)famous spider that is seen in the ballroom scene? That would be awesome!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Thu 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Amy wrote:
Ooooh! That would have been a great choice! Maybe he can at least be chosen to do the soundtrack?!
Actually, I'm glad they didn't have him do it. While I do enjoy Tim Burton's work, sometimes it gets to be too much. His work hasn't really been all too exciting since Sleepy Hollow to me.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Aug Sun 08, 2010 12:40 pm

I've been reading this thread but I have a dumb question to ask....

Who is the hatbox ghost?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 08, 2010 12:50 pm

disneylizzy wrote:I've been reading this thread but I have a dumb question to ask....

Who is the hatbox ghost?
Not a dumb question at all...here is a link that describes it pretty well, and provides some interesting insights ~ you will need to scroll about halfway down...
http://www.doombuggies.com/myths2.php

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Sep Mon 20, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm so excited about this! I didn't like the Haunted Mansion Movie except for the sets costumes and Score.
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com