New Haunted Mansion Movie In The Works

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: New Haunted Mansion Movie In The Works

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Fri 23, 2010 8:03 pm

I just thought that ToT was corny...I shouldn't have said it was bad...it was kinda cute and I love Steve Gutenberg and a really young Kirsten Dunst is kinda funny to look back on.

But then again, I won't be going on ToT anytime soon, so I have no real basis for comparison to the ride.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Fri 23, 2010 8:44 pm

I wonder if in the next film that "Ghost Host" wil become a character?

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Fri 23, 2010 9:51 pm

I think it would be cool if it followed the audio we have here on Sub!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Fri 23, 2010 10:02 pm

What I'd love to see return to the HM is the Hatbox Ghost. I heard about it from another friend and thought he was pretty cool. If they add him to the movie, I hope it'd help bring him back to the mansion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatbox_Ghost

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Fri 23, 2010 11:45 pm

elizabethswann wrote:What I'd love to see return to the HM is the Hatbox Ghost. I heard about it from another friend and thought he was pretty cool. If they add him to the movie, I hope it'd help bring him back to the mansion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatbox_Ghost

According to the interview with the director, the Hatbox Ghost will be a character in the film.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Sat 24, 2010 12:30 am

Oh good! I'm hoping that it will turn out well.

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » Jul Thu 29, 2010 11:05 am

Not only A character...THE character:

""The storyline for 'The Haunted Mansion' and the ride is quite open," he explained. "We are taking sort of the core mythology that you can tap into and saying that there are many mansions around the world and they're all part of a sort of web. The spider sitting at the center of the web is what the fans of 'The Haunted Mansion' would know by the nickname the Hatbox Ghost, which is a beautiful creature that was created but there's a legend that it was discarded on the first day of the ride's operation because it was too scary. I like that legend, but the reality is that the imagineers could not make the illusion work, so they took it out. It's more or less where the bride is in the attic on the way out of the mansion, but it's such a great character that there is literally a cult for the Hatbox Ghost amongst hardcore 'Haunted Mansion' fanatics, and I'm one of them."

http://aintitcool.com/node/45945

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Thu 29, 2010 11:50 am

MW1218 wrote:Not only A character...THE character:

""The storyline for 'The Haunted Mansion' and the ride is quite open," he explained. "We are taking sort of the core mythology that you can tap into and saying that there are many mansions around the world and they're all part of a sort of web. The spider sitting at the center of the web is what the fans of 'The Haunted Mansion' would know by the nickname the Hatbox Ghost, which is a beautiful creature that was created but there's a legend that it was discarded on the first day of the ride's operation because it was too scary. I like that legend, but the reality is that the imagineers could not make the illusion work, so they took it out. It's more or less where the bride is in the attic on the way out of the mansion, but it's such a great character that there is literally a cult for the Hatbox Ghost amongst hardcore 'Haunted Mansion' fanatics, and I'm one of them."

http://aintitcool.com/node/45945
Still sounds like A character, not THE character. Whereas the first film ignored it, this film will not. That's all it says.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Interesting MW1218, I've seen a bit about the Hatbox Ghost on doombuggies. Sounds like they would have the technology to include him in the attraction today if they wanted to. Or definitely in the movie...

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Thu 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Aw, that's a shame. I wanted the bride to stay in and hope they could expand more on the storyline but make it better than the previous film.

BayLakeTowers
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by BayLakeTowers » Aug Tue 03, 2010 11:44 am

According to Wikipedia the Hatbox Ghost is going to be the main Character:
It was announced on July 22, 2010, at San Diego Comic-Con International that a new film based on Disney's Haunted Mansion was was in development with Guillermo del Toro writing and producing. Del Toro saw the 2003 film with his daughters; when asked about his involvement in the new project, he said, "the thing I want to do is remake it."[4] Elaborating, he commented, "The movie I see in my head of 'Haunted Mansion' is not, I believe, what everyone is imagining it to be. It's not just a regular world with a haunted mansion plopped in the middle. I really am thinking of a movie that has a heightened reality."[5] Del Toro said that Hatbox Ghost would be the main haunting[5] and added, "We are not making it a comedy. We are making it scary and fun at the same time, but the scary will be scary." It is to be filmed in live-action 3D.[6]

The link[5] is to Schwartz, Terri (July 24, 2010). "Guillermo Del Toro Dishes On 'Haunted Mansion' Remake". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/164437 ... tory.jhtml. Retrieved July 25, 2010.

The first time I had even heard about Hatbox ghost was listening to the HM walkthrough on SR.

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Aug Tue 03, 2010 11:19 pm

I don't like the vision of this new Haunted Mansion. Scary-scary but fun? Haunted Mansion isn't scary as much as it is creepy. I think it should go the direction of The Shining rather than a horror film. The Shining never had any major scares, but maintained a very uneven tone.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 04, 2010 7:38 am

DIAC1987 wrote:I don't like the vision of this new Haunted Mansion. Scary-scary but fun? Haunted Mansion isn't scary as much as it is creepy. I think it should go the direction of The Shining rather than a horror film. The Shining never had any major scares, but maintained a very uneven tone.
The Shining was an awesome film!! But I think the scene where Jack breaks through the door with an ax might count as a major scare :shock:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 04, 2010 10:46 am

DIAC1987 wrote:I don't like the vision of this new Haunted Mansion. Scary-scary but fun? Haunted Mansion isn't scary as much as it is creepy. I think it should go the direction of The Shining rather than a horror film. The Shining never had any major scares, but maintained a very uneven tone.
And to me, the Shining was a bit long-winded and dragged. You can edit that movie down and not miss a bit. I think the first Haunted Mansion film had enough of that, so let's skip that part. I'm okay with creepy, and I think if you look at Del Toro he does creepy well - just hope its not too freaky twisted kind of creepy. He does that well too unfortunately.

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Boilerdude » Aug Wed 04, 2010 11:41 am

Any idea why they did not pick Timothy Burton to do this movie?