Walt Disney Imagineering Books

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Walt Disney Imagineering Books

Post by Len90 » Jul Sun 18, 2010 10:19 pm

I really have been fascinated with everything behind Walt Disney World. I decided that for the rest of the summer I would like to read about Walt Disney World secrets and history. Upon researching I found out that there are actually books written by the Imagineers. They are entitled:

Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real
Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real

I gave in and ordered these. I was wondering if anybody else has purchased/read these books. Are they as good as they seem?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Walt Disney Imagineering Books

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Mon 19, 2010 1:51 am

We have Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real. I gave it to Baloo for Christmas a few years ago. It's a very informative book, great pictures. We also have Designing Disney and the Art of the Show by John Hench, it's one you should really have in you collection I've read it several times.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 19, 2010 6:24 am

I have mouskedrooled over both of these books on-line but have never gone ahead and purchased them. One day I would like to get them for my collection...let us know what you think after you read them!
I'll have to check out Jacca's recommended book as well :D
But first I must organize all the books I already own so I don't get any duplicates...did that one time, and on a fairly expensive book so don't really want to repeat that error :(

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Mon 19, 2010 9:14 am

I have the first one, I have partially read it (not bad), but was unaware of the sequel. Thanks, Len!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Mon 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:We have Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real. I gave it to Baloo for Christmas a few years ago. It's a very informative book, great pictures. We also have Designing Disney and the Art of the Show by John Hench, it's one you should really have in you collection I've read it several times.
Thanks for the advice Jacca. I'll have to look into getting that one. Seems like a good read and is pretty cheap on amazon too. $13.57 with free shipping if you spend over $25.

Also the sequel to the Walt Disney Imagineering is currently available for $37.80 with free shipping from amazon. The only tough thing is getting a new copy of the original Walt Disney Imagineering book at a decent cost.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Len90 wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:We have Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real. I gave it to Baloo for Christmas a few years ago. It's a very informative book, great pictures. We also have Designing Disney and the Art of the Show by John Hench, it's one you should really have in you collection I've read it several times.
Thanks for the advice Jacca. I'll have to look into getting that one. Seems like a good read and is pretty cheap on amazon too. $13.57 with free shipping if you spend over $25.

Also the sequel to the Walt Disney Imagineering is currently available for $37.80 with free shipping from amazon. The only tough thing is getting a new copy of the original Walt Disney Imagineering book at a decent cost.
Have you checked Ebay and those sellers?

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Mon 19, 2010 7:26 pm

I will have to check these out. I have an Imagineering book that talks about all the Disney mountains from all the theme parks.

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Jul Thu 22, 2010 8:45 am

The imagineering field guides were interesting. Magic Kingdom was my favorite one, the books are under $10 on Amazon. They are short and picture heavy but informative. I would love to read something more indepth if its out there. I will look up the books already listed.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Fri 23, 2010 1:17 am

Went ahead and purchased the Designing Disney book by John Hench. I received my copy of the second Imagineering book. It is really amazing and offers some artwork on the upcoming and ongoing Fantasyland Expansion. It is picture heavy and has some really interesting things in it. I think it will be a great read.
- Len90

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sun 15, 2010 11:46 am

Just got done reading Hench's book. It was a fantastic read and I thank you for suggesting it!
- Len90

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Mon 16, 2010 3:15 pm

I bought the first book mentioned when I was at DLR back in 2008 so I could have something to read back in the hotel and on the plane. It was awesome and such a cool thing getting to read about the Disney parks from the Imagineers' perspective. Also cool seeing pictures from back in the day and also some cool concept art that I had never seen before.

I'll have to check out the second book now that I know one exists!

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Mon 16, 2010 3:28 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I bought the first book mentioned when I was at DLR back in 2008 so I could have something to read back in the hotel and on the plane. It was awesome and such a cool thing getting to read about the Disney parks from the Imagineers' perspective. Also cool seeing pictures from back in the day and also some cool concept art that I had never seen before.

If you buy the second book, get it from Amazon. Disney On-line was still charging the full $60 price tag!

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Mon 16, 2010 3:44 pm

mindflipper wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:I bought the first book mentioned when I was at DLR back in 2008 so I could have something to read back in the hotel and on the plane. It was awesome and such a cool thing getting to read about the Disney parks from the Imagineers' perspective. Also cool seeing pictures from back in the day and also some cool concept art that I had never seen before.

If you buy the second book, get it from Amazon. Disney On-line was still charging the full $60 price tag!
Yeah...I was noticing that...plus it would save me the room and the weight of putting it in my suitcase on this next trip.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Mon 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Len90 wrote:
Just got done reading Hench's book. It was a fantastic read and I thank you for suggesting it!

You are so welcomed, I am very glad you enjoyed it! ;+>
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Mon 16, 2010 8:47 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
mindflipper wrote:

Yeah...I was noticing that...plus it would save me the room and the weight of putting it in my suitcase on this next trip.
You're not joking about the weight! When I got the book delivered I was shocked how heavy it was. I was glad I got the Amazon free shipping on this one!