Prince of Persia

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Prince of Persia

Post by Amy » May Sat 29, 2010 11:55 am

I've been hearing that Prince of Persia is actually a really good movie with a good plot and actors. I've also heard rumbling that the preview and trailers don't really show the movie in it's best light.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » May Sat 29, 2010 4:27 pm

I've also heard that it's been doing well but I will be able to see it soon. There aren't many movies out now that I want to see.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jun Tue 01, 2010 8:27 am

I went this weekend, just something to do Sunday night. It is a good, entertaining movie. It kept my attention and the story flowed well. They tried to make it like POTC, but it isn't. Jake Gyllenhaal is terrible in this role; action movies like this just don't suit him and he uses the worst British accent I have ever heard (and yes, I have heard Madonna). Gemma Arterton far outshined Gyllenhaal and stole the show from her first scene. I think what intrigued me most is the allegory they worked into the movie, which is not subtle at all.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Tue 01, 2010 8:54 am

agingerbugg wrote:I went this weekend, just something to do Sunday night. It is a good, entertaining movie. It kept my attention and the story flowed well. They tried to make it like POTC, but it isn't. Jake Gyllenhaal is terrible in this role; action movies like this just don't suit him and he uses the worst British accent I have ever heard (and yes, I have heard Madonna). Gemma Arterton far outshined Gyllenhaal and stole the show from her first scene. I think what intrigued me most is the allegory they worked into the movie, which is not subtle at all.
I've heard Gyllenhaal's british accent in some scenes on TV before the movie release and wondered if the brits in the UK would boycott the film it was sooooo bad. :lol: I then noticed after that Disney switched gears so to speak and most of the promos and advance footage releases were action scenes that featured Gyllenhaal without any dialogue.

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Josh Q » Jun Tue 01, 2010 9:20 am

mindflipper wrote:
agingerbugg wrote:I went this weekend, just something to do Sunday night. It is a good, entertaining movie. It kept my attention and the story flowed well. They tried to make it like POTC, but it isn't. Jake Gyllenhaal is terrible in this role; action movies like this just don't suit him and he uses the worst British accent I have ever heard (and yes, I have heard Madonna). Gemma Arterton far outshined Gyllenhaal and stole the show from her first scene. I think what intrigued me most is the allegory they worked into the movie, which is not subtle at all.
I've heard Gyllenhaal's british accent in some scenes on TV before the movie release and wondered if the brits in the UK would boycott the film it was sooooo bad. :lol: I then noticed after that Disney switched gears so to speak and most of the promos and advance footage releases were action scenes that featured Gyllenhaal without any dialogue.
Was his accent worse the Dick Van Dyke's in Mary Poppins???
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jun Tue 01, 2010 3:05 pm

I would have to say yes, because it is 2010 and anyone who has turned on a television knows what a real English accent sounds like; in 1964 most Americans wouldn't necessarily know the difference.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Tue 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Also remember Mary Poppins was an exaggerated children's fantasy or even possibly be thought of as cartoonish (given a large part was even animated), the ridiculous accent Van Dyke would fit in character with the film. Additionally, his accent could have been done that way to draw more distinction between the lower working class from which Bert belonged and the upper class proper Brit accent that Townsend did for Mr. Banks.

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Jun Wed 02, 2010 1:01 pm

mindflipper wrote:Also remember Mary Poppins was an exaggerated children's fantasy or even possibly be thought of as cartoonish (given a large part was even animated), the ridiculous accent Van Dyke would fit in character with the film. Additionally, his accent could have been done that way to draw more distinction between the lower working class from which Bert belonged and the upper class proper Brit accent that Townsend did for Mr. Banks.
Fine! Just be all smart and stuff! lol That's very true.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Wed 02, 2010 1:25 pm

Josh Q wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Also remember Mary Poppins was an exaggerated children's fantasy or even possibly be thought of as cartoonish (given a large part was even animated), the ridiculous accent Van Dyke would fit in character with the film. Additionally, his accent could have been done that way to draw more distinction between the lower working class from which Bert belonged and the upper class proper Brit accent that Townsend did for Mr. Banks.
Fine! Just be all smart and stuff! lol That's very true.
I haven't seen the film, Josh - maybe it was necessity of the film that Gyllenhaal have such an awful British accent?!? Was part of the comic relief somehow?

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jun Wed 02, 2010 2:09 pm

mindflipper wrote:
I haven't seen the film, Josh - maybe it was necessity of the film that Gyllenhaal have such an awful British accent?!? Was part of the comic relief somehow?
If so, they did a terrible job of making it comical. No, I don't think it was intentional.

-Benjamin Franklin

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Jun Wed 02, 2010 2:52 pm

mindflipper wrote:I haven't seen the film, Josh - maybe it was necessity of the film that Gyllenhaal have such an awful British accent?!? Was part of the comic relief somehow?
I really doubt it. And after seeing the box office results from opening weekend I bet Disney and JB are not happy with it's results. I would imagine this film will be on DVD really quick!

Chicery
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by Chicery » Jun Fri 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Okay, whatever you do, don't take a gamer to go see this movie. My boyfriend and I went to see it the other day (I haven't played any of the recent games, so I thought it was decent) and the entire ride home was his rant on how far the movie was from the games. I thought it was a fairly good movie, but I don't think I would go back and watch it again. Jake Gyllenhaal's accent really was atrocious, but everyone else either faked good ones or came by them naturally. The plot was easy to follow, and while it wasn't terribly original, it had some good twists that kept it interesting. The fight scenes were well done, the cg was with a few exceptions very good, and the costumes were very well done. I must say it forcefully reminded me of Dune meets Indiana Jones meets Aladdin meets Jackie Chan, but it was pretty good nonetheless.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Chicery wrote:I must say it forcefully reminded me of Dune meets Indiana Jones meets Aladdin meets Jackie Chan, but it was pretty good nonetheless.
Wow, that is a mixture for sure...think I'll wait for the DVD

Chicery

Post by Chicery » Jun Fri 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Amy wrote:
Chicery wrote:I must say it forcefully reminded me of Dune meets Indiana Jones meets Aladdin meets Jackie Chan, but it was pretty good nonetheless.
Can't go wrong with that :D

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jun Sat 05, 2010 1:10 am

Amy wrote:
I think I will too or at least use a free movie ticket for it.