License plates and other car embellishments

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Re: License plates and other car embellishments

Post by I am Sulley » Nov Mon 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Amy wrote:
I am Sulley wrote:Although you appear to have some fussy officials in your states at least you do get a good choice. Here in the UK the rules are very strict with many plates retained by the Vehicle Licensing Agency for sale at Auctions simply to make money for the Government. On checking I found D15 NEY was sold at auction in October 1999 for £3400 (current exchange rate $5258), obviously much more now!
Oh my goodness! :shock: That's outrageous! Wow ~ you would really have to want that to pay that much wouldn't you? Is that a one time fee then? Or do you have to pay each year? I see several smaller cars, the Fiat 500s for example, with British plates on the front of them here. (Our state, Michigan, and the one directly south of us, Indiana, does not require front and back plates, so a lot of people have old plates from other states on the front. I had a St. John plate on mine for a few years until I parked a bit too close to the snowbank and found it wedged there :lol: I took it off then so I wouldn't lose it somewhere along the road) Anyhow, I wonder if the strict rules are why there are plates to be found over here? They might simply be too much fuss to transfer?
To put it simply the plate stays with the car here although you can pay a "small" fee to keep it if you can get one you like. We did this with my wife's car. Plates already issued can be bought & sold through dealers.
However most plates of possible value are kept by the vehicle licensing agency. As my new car was built in 2011 I looked up SU11EYJ. Although this had gone a few with SU11EY as part of the plate where still available at £799 ($1231). I thought this was too much :( . Even any plate with WDW in it started at £399 ($615)
Sadly I think money of this amount could be put to better use

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Mon 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Oh my, yes, that is expensive. Although if you kept the car long enough it would even out the price a bit. But yeah, I think I would skip the personalized plates there :(

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Nov Tue 03, 2015 6:58 pm

On my way to work this morning I saw the plate "DVCMEM". Randomish letters unless you're a Disney fan ;)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 03, 2015 8:02 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:On my way to work this morning I saw the plate "DVCMEM". Randomish letters unless you're a Disney fan ;)
That's a good one :)

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Fri 29, 2016 9:34 am

I can't remember if I posted it here or not...but we got a plate that we were happy with.

WDWFMLY

It's on my car now, but once we buy a van either later this year or next year it will go on that. That will be our vacation car too...so it'll be what we take to WDW.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Fri 29, 2016 12:54 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I can't remember if I posted it here or not...but we got a plate that we were happy with.

WDWFMLY

It's on my car now, but once we buy a van either later this year or next year it will go on that. That will be our vacation car too...so it'll be what we take to WDW.
COOL. I like it.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 29, 2016 6:31 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I can't remember if I posted it here or not...but we got a plate that we were happy with.

WDWFMLY

Good one!

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Fri 05, 2016 8:41 pm

I haven't posted anything about it but I treated my car to a Christmas present and put a 'Disneyland cast member' sticker on it. This is what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/R2OOewp.jpg

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sat 06, 2016 8:33 am

elizabethswann wrote:I haven't posted anything about it but I treated my car to a Christmas present and put a 'Disneyland cast member' sticker on it. This is what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/R2OOewp.jpg
That's cute :)

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Mon 08, 2016 8:40 am

Very cool sticker!

DW and I see a lot of the "AP" and "DVC" stickers around town and it makes us long for the day we can have one as well.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 09, 2016 9:23 am

Time to renew the license plates again. I'm considering changing mine from DIZNEE to something else. But I don't know what else I would like. Any suggestions? MUPPETS was available, but that's pretty specific, and while I like them, I don't know if I want just that.