Diseny References

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Disney References

Post by Len90 » Aug Sun 24, 2008 10:10 pm

Okay, so tonight my family and I had nothing to do and decided to watch a movie. This time it happened to be College Road Trip. It happens to be a Walt Disney movie, and I found it to be pretty good. However, I picked up on a few things in the movie. They made some Walt Disney World references. After the movie I asked my family if they picked up on them and they realized one of them. The two in this movie were:

1. Towards the beginning of the movie the father sits down to watch TV and the intro says tonight on Animal Kingdom.
2. The father states his favorite ride is "It's a Small World".

There may have been others, but these are the two that I easily picked up on. So is this common for a Walt Disney movie, or is it I am paying too much attention to the movie?
Last edited by Len90 on Oct Sun 18, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Aug Mon 25, 2008 12:50 am

Disney has been throwing the parks into it's movies/shows for years. there's a couple of threads somewhere here (I'll post the links later) which talk about full scenes IN WDW and other Disney parks, not just references to. it's all subliminal messaging. "if celebrities film their scenes in these places, or refer to them, then maybe we should visit there" is the message. sad, but true. Happens with everything. Seems like they started to really put those subliminal ads in starting in the early 90s, right around the time MGM opened. in classic Disney movies (the ones before Walt died), you don't see/hear things like that...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Aug Mon 25, 2008 9:57 am

in classic Disney movies (the ones before Walt died), you don't see/hear things like that...
In the older movies it was almost the other way around.

The Primeval World and Universe of Energy dioramas are both based off of the Dinosaur sequence in Fantasia. There was a few other things in the early cartoons that have made their way into various theme parks, but I can't recall them now.

However, I like the more obscure visual references... not spoken things like "Ooh it's a small world is my favorite song". Maybe a ride quote thrown in for the die-hard fans, not for the sake of advertising, but for fun. I can't remember which movie it was exactly, but they threw in a Horizons ride quote. Maybe it was Meet the Robinsons... :?

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Aug Tue 26, 2008 11:10 pm

In the 90s, nearly every single ABC sitcom had at least one episode dedicated to a trip to Disney World.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Wed 27, 2008 10:41 am

Is anyone a "Home Improvement" fan?! I love watching the reruns of that show, and in the Halloween episode, they threw a Disney reference in there, the trick or treaters were all dressed as Disney characters! Buzz Lightyear and Lion King. I got a kick out of it!!! :lol: Very subtle, but fun!

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Aug Wed 27, 2008 2:22 pm

OH YEAH! HAHA Disney always has it's characetrs trick-or-treating! In Hocus Pocus, the witches see "Mrs. Potts" walk by and they're like, "What's that?" :lol:

It's so random out of all the characters Disney has. Who would dress as Mrs. Potts??

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Wed 27, 2008 2:34 pm

I remember the one about Hocus Pocus! I thought that was pretty funny. Enchanted, I think, has the most Disney references that I know. There's a ton listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Di ... _Enchanted

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Sep Sun 07, 2008 4:32 pm

I was watching Monsters, Inc. today and happened to catch a reference. It's in the scene where Mike tries to do stand-up and when the kid doesn't laugh, he swallows his microphone and burps real loud. When the camera shows the kid, right behind his head, is a Tomorrowland rocket poster - I believe it's the same poster as Dr. Ravenscroft's avatar.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

ckc0915
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by ckc0915 » Sep Mon 08, 2008 9:49 pm

even disney channel movies are in on this. in camp rock, the camp director quotes the enchanted tiki room. while describing someones solo, he uses the"so low" i cant hear you line. i dont know if anyone else cought his, but i did. have yall even seen camp rock? its got some catchy songs...
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1277622036.jpg[/img]

MintJulepRoo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by MintJulepRoo » Sep Tue 09, 2008 1:14 am

I like the use of Disneyland/DisneyWorld references in movies. One of the best is in Jurassic Park when they discuss that Disneyland had many delays upon opening and Ian says "When Pirates of the Carribean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists"...haha
But there are also a lot of them in TV shows too. Friends references Disneyland a few times as well as others. I've mostly heard the Small World ride being discussed. My favorite was on Gilmore Girls where someone says something like "there are no fastpasses, you just have to wait" They are just refering to life and its so sad but true...All references make me wanna go to parks even more whether that is intentional or not :P
"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Sep Tue 09, 2008 8:15 am

"When Pirates of the Carribean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists"...haha
I believe this line is preceeded by John stating, "When Disneyland opened in 1956, nothing worked".

You think Universal changed the date just to tick Disney off? :lol:
I cringe every time.

WVParkfan
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by WVParkfan » Sep Tue 09, 2008 8:27 am

This "product placement" trend certainly isn't limited to Disney. Nearly every sporting event on TV and nearly every movie these days has some sort of product placement. One of my first memories of that was "Back to the Future" in 1985. The Michael J. Fox character had a Diet Pepsi can he was drinking from, and it was the first time I could ever remember seeing a real Brand Name on a product in a movie.
April, 1998 Coronado Springs
April, 2001 Coronado Springs
January, 2004 All-Star Sports
July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
April, 2006 Pop Century
December, 2006 All-Star Sports
March, 2008 All-Star Movies
April, 2009 All-Star Music
August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort
August, 2014 Off Property - Caribe Royale

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Tue 09, 2008 9:27 am

WVParkfan wrote: One of my first memories of that was "Back to the Future" in 1985. The Michael J. Fox character had a Diet Pepsi can he was drinking from, and it was the first time I could ever remember seeing a real Brand Name on a product in a movie.
not to go to far off-topic, but he was drinking Pepsi Free, not Diet Pepsi.

as for product placement in movies/TV, including Disney parks/products, it's been going on for years. I said my piece before, so I won't say any more on this subject...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

anim8rguy72
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by anim8rguy72 » Sep Tue 09, 2008 10:06 am

In season 3 of Yin Yang Yo! we had a building in one episode that looked a lot like spaceship earth. I also dropped in an animation disk into one of my scenes as a tribute to traditional hand drawn animation. I won't tell you which episode these are in... you'll just have to watch the show. hehe. my way of plugging it. :mickey:

Cazza and Livvie's Mum

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Sep Wed 10, 2008 1:27 pm

In 'That's so Raven', they have a teacher who spits when he speaks and poor Eddy was at the front of the class and was drenched by said teacher.

When the lesson ended some kids ran past Eddy in the corridor and shouted 'Yeeeewwww Splash Mountain!'

This one is from Dr Who in yet another dramatic episode Captain Jack said 'I've travelled miles through an airvent and searched for any human life forms and who do I end up finding..... MICKEY MOUSE!' :lol: