Disney Blu-Ray

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Disney Blu-Ray

Post by BuDz211 » Feb Wed 25, 2009 12:22 pm

Is anyone here buying Disney Blu-rays? Ever since I bought my PS3 a year ago, I have been slowly building my Disney collection. I just preordered Pinocchio at the Disney store at the local mall and I received a limited Disney Pin! Anyone else collecting Disney Blu-rays?
Image Image

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Wed 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Not at the moment but hopefully soon!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Wed 25, 2009 1:10 pm

No I'm not buying Blu-ray of any sort. I already have to much invested in regular DVD's and refuse to buy blu-ray. It was just a Sony generated technology, all it was for was so Sony could control if you had a back up of your disk or if you could put them on your computer.

From what I've been reading, blu-ray is not going to last that long. Companies are already work on a true next step in media tech.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Feb Wed 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Sony will not control what I do with my disks. I am tech-savvy and knowledge is power.
I was a fan of HD-DVD but waited to see who won the HD wars before I purchased a player.

As far as technology goes, I was reading about HDTV in elementary school in 1989. I think it will be a while before the new technology arrives and becomes affordable. Yeah, I know about Holographic Video Disks and I also know that technical progress constantly moves faster, but I think that's a bit off.

Also, if one waits for the next technology, why not skip that and wait for the even newer technology? Where does the waiting end? I think blu-ray is fantastic and cannot get over how pretty movies like Cars or Wall-e looks on this technology.
Image Image

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Wed 25, 2009 1:55 pm

BuDz211 wrote:Sony will not control what I do with my disks. I am tech-savvy and knowledge is power.
I was a fan of HD-DVD but waited to see who won the HD wars before I purchased a player.

As far as technology goes, I was reading about HDTV in elementary school in 1989. I think it will be a while before the new technology arrives and becomes affordable. Yeah, I know about Holographic Video Disks and I also know that technical progress constantly moves faster, but I think that's a bit off.

Also, if one waits for the next technology, why not skip that and wait for the even newer technology? Where does the waiting end? I think blu-ray is fantastic and cannot get over how pretty movies like Cars or Wall-e looks on this technology.
You can just as good of a picture with a well coded AVI/MPEG, good video board, and a good monitor!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

jenjolt
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jenjolt » Feb Wed 25, 2009 1:57 pm

I don't have a blu-ray player and I don't have a PS3 so while they seem really nice...I'm just going to have to continue using DVDs.
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/haunted-mansion1.gif[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/great-movie-ride2.gif[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/epcot2.gif[/img]

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Feb Wed 25, 2009 2:32 pm

I don't own a Blu-Ray player, nor an HD TV. In fact, about the only HD-like device I own is the computer I just bought. Though, after watching WALL-E in HD at our local Circuit City, I'm tempted to upgrade my TV...

now, for those that think they "have too much invested in regular DVDs" - Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible, so you can still watch them with no visible loss of quality (in fact, I've heard that regular DVDs look a little better than they would have normally)...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Thu 26, 2009 12:23 am

Currently I have the Pirates trio on Blu-ray. I am seriously planning on watching all three of them either on spring break or over the summer.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Feb Thu 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Len90 wrote:Currently I have the Pirates trio on Blu-ray. I am seriously planning on watching all three of them either on spring break or over the summer.
Awesome Len90! I purchased my blu-ray player during the holidays and received a lot of movies for Christmas and Pirates-DMC was one of them. I haven't put it in yet since I've been watching the ones that I hadn't yet seen (Ironman, Tropic Thunder, Dark Knight, to name a few) but can't wait to check out POTC. The picture quality is stunning and since cable/sat only carries 720p, the 1080p is finally nice to see since that's what the TV was made for!!

ckc0915
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by ckc0915 » Feb Thu 26, 2009 7:16 pm

i have all three pirates, cars, enchanted HSM 2 & 3, Nightmare Before Christmas, Pixar short films, Ratatouille, Sleeping Beauty, WallE and chicken little. Disney blurays are the only kinds of movies i would buy, as they are the only movies i would really watch over and over again. i cant wait for pinocchio, and monsters inc comes out this spring too. i read that toy story will be available this summer, as will a bugs life and snow white this fall!! once you have layed your eyes on a bluray with a good HDTV, it is hard to go back to standard definition. especially the pixar movies, they are amazing in HD. sleeping beauty looked like someone painted the movie on my tv, it was awesome!! i just wish that disney would release them faster, Beauty and the Beast isnt scheduled for release until fall 2010!
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1277622036.jpg[/img]

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Feb Thu 26, 2009 8:43 pm

My list of Disney Blu-rays:

Meet the Robinsons
Cars
Wall-E
Sleeping Beauty

Movies I will buy this year:

Nightmare Before Christmas
Monsters Inc.
A Bugs Life
Finding Nemo (if released in 2009)
Pinocchio (Already Preordered)
Snow White

I also have some non-Disney movies as well.

I just picked up Sleeping Beauty today with a gift card from
Christmas. The backgrounds look like animated paintings; I'm
not kidding. The colors seem to pop out of the screen. Disney
Blu-ray continues to amaze me.
Image Image

ckc0915

Post by ckc0915 » Feb Thu 26, 2009 8:57 pm

one of the other things that is cool about disney bluray is that they usually contain a DVD copy and a digital copy for your computer. at least the newer ones have. so , you get three formats for the price of one!

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Feb Sat 28, 2009 3:42 pm

I would advise anyone who is into Disney movies to pick up a Blu-ray player and the movies. Blu-ray players are going for $200 right now. If you have the patience, you can wait for black friday and probably get one for a better price.

In addition, I usually purchase two blu-ray movies at a time at Amazon because they always have better prices than someplace like Best Buy. I also buy two at a time because you get free shipping after spending $25. A lot of movies are coming out this year. It's an exciting time to build your collection.
:D

P.S. I do not work for Sony. I'm just really happy with these products.
Image Image

emnbensdad

Post by emnbensdad » Mar Fri 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Wow. . . I hadn't considered the adding any bluray stuff to our collection but I might do that now. I amslowly replacing our VHS vids with DVDs just so I can leave them to my grandkids (if I live that long).

ckc0915

Post by ckc0915 » Mar Wed 11, 2009 7:26 pm

just picked up pinocchio on blu ray...amazing.
and there is a trailer for snow white on blu ray, for release in october. also amazing