The trailer for Up is up.

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

The trailer for Up is up.

Post by DisBeamer » Nov Sun 09, 2008 3:16 pm

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/up/trailer

It looks cute. Same director as Monsters, Inc. The only thing that strikes me as a bit odd thus far is that Pixar's people seem to have visually stagnated. I'm wondering if that's because these movies are in production so close together and are using a lot of the same techniques or because they've reached a point they don't want to make their people more 'realistic'.

Anyway, I have high hopes for Up. (That was a totally unintentional pun ... sorry. >_<)
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Nov Sun 09, 2008 3:57 pm

I think alot of the characters look alike due to a combination of reasons. first, you may be right about the movies being produced so close together that they just use the same techniques. another factor may be that the technology and software hasn't been able to keep up with how fast they're going. third, I believe hat with the main players at Pixar (John Lasseter, Ed Catmull, Steve Jobs, etc) have become more involved with Disney projects after the buyout. while they may be Executive Producers to the movies now, they're no longer part of the story process, nor the animation aspects, so things are pushed the way they were back in the day...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

IMFearless
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by IMFearless » Nov Sun 09, 2008 4:45 pm

I would argue slightly differently on this ... I recall hearing/reading/something like that that Pixar prefers to focus on different particular visual effects with each film ... for instance, a LOT of time was spent on Sulley's fur in Monsters, Inc., the water was (understandably) given priority in Finding Nemo, and dust, rust, and reflections were hyper-realized in Cars. I would say they're focusing on the air and wind here ... as corny as it sounds, check out how nice the clouds work.
Plus, there's a certain term known as the Uncanny Valley. Perhaps you've heard of it? It's been well-known in the past that as representations of the human face (whether traditionally animated or digitally generated) get closer and closer to the real thing, there is a certain point that they suddenly look EXTREMELY unnatural. It seems to involve them becoming realistic, but since they're not QUITE right, they look deformed or mutated. Thus far, artists have been largely unsuccessful at bridging this valley, so it actually looks better to create a more cartoonish look. As such, while someone in Pixar has no doubt been getting human faces to look more and more realistic, it's reasonable that the representations they're turning out lately actually look better.
In any case, this looks like a winner already.
()()()()
___..._
|...|.. V
+-+--+ The wildest ride in the wilderness!
+-----+
()()....O

[url=http://ubdesigner.com]
Forwhating?
Hi everybody! I'm a corporate symbol!

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Nov Sun 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Yeah a friend of mine and I were discussing it and came to the conclusion that the visual priority for this was probably balloon physics. I don't think that's unreasonable, either. I do have to say, though, that the mesh for the little boy looks an awful lot like the one for the future humans in Wall*E. I don't mind them following their usual practice of focusing on one aspect to improve per film, but I'm leery of seeing them re-use, if that makes sense.

I also agree (as I kind of alluded to in my original post) that there's a danger in making the humans look too realistic, so I can see why they might settle into one stylistic 'ideal', if you will.

Looking forward to seeing more of those wind effects.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Sun 09, 2008 6:20 pm

It looks really cute, I won't lie. But I do agree on what you're saying about them looking too realistic, DisBeamer. I hope this will be just as good as the Incredibles.

js3901

Post by js3901 » Nov Sun 09, 2008 7:05 pm

IMFearless wrote: Plus, there's a certain term known as the Uncanny Valley. Perhaps you've heard of it? It's been well-known in the past that as representations of the human face (whether traditionally animated or digitally generated) get closer and closer to the real thing, there is a certain point that they suddenly look EXTREMELY unnatural. It seems to involve them becoming realistic, but since they're not QUITE right, they look deformed or mutated. Thus far, artists have been largely unsuccessful at bridging this valley, so it actually looks better to create a more cartoonish look. As such, while someone in Pixar has no doubt been getting human faces to look more and more realistic, it's reasonable that the representations they're turning out lately actually look better.
In any case, this looks like a winner already.
I would agree with your oberservation, however, given the human characters used in both of the Final Fantasy movies (Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children), I would have to disagree on this. also, some of the human-type characters in the beginning/end movies of the Kingdom Hearts series, and those are parts of games. Square, and Square-Enix which they became, have fingured out how to make humans work, as well as create photo-realistic environments a few years ago. granted, many of the characters come from anime, so many features are exagerated slightly, but in certain parts, they look very realistic. why is Pixar not able to match that level?
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

MagicKingdom Fairy89
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by MagicKingdom Fairy89 » Nov Mon 10, 2008 7:28 am

It does look cute yes, buy like many of you, I agree with the fact that they look too realistic.
I hope it is a good movie though :D
'Just Believe and Your Dreams Will Come True' - Disney Dreams come True Parade

sherabby
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by sherabby » Nov Mon 10, 2008 8:40 am

I love the begining of the trailer! How neat! New movie looks cute!
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1251097102.jpg[/img]

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Nov Mon 10, 2008 9:15 am

I'm really looking forward to this movie - I think it's going to be another winner for Disney-Pixar!
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Nov Mon 10, 2008 9:43 am

It looks great, I can't wait to see it! Thanks for sharing the link>!
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Nov Mon 10, 2008 9:58 am

This looks great, thanks for the link. Those clouds look incredibly realistic, and I'm not even viewing on an HD monitor!
Last edited by 99Soulz on Nov Mon 10, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billville

Post by billville » Nov Mon 10, 2008 11:27 am

I think it looks totally cool the way it is! The art and storyline seem to mesh well for me. I cant wait to go check out this movie...looks like it will be another hit for Pixar / Disney!! :mrgreen:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3774/userbar506533aa1.gif[/img][/url]

"Now remember, magnifying glasses are for looking at little things.......not for burning little things. See Ya!!!"

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Nov Mon 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Well, Pixar's done toys, monsters, insects, superheroes, cars, and robots. Bring on the grouchy old fart! This movie looks like a lot of fun.

stev02
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by stev02 » Nov Mon 10, 2008 12:27 pm

The beginning is so cool, how they put all the Pixar movies together. This movie looks amazing. Pixar is on a roll!
[url=http://www.d-cot.com][img]http://www.d-cot.com/images/d-cot_button.png[/img][/url]

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Nov Mon 10, 2008 7:54 pm

js3901 wrote:I would agree with your oberservation, however, given the human characters used in both of the Final Fantasy movies (Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children), I would have to disagree on this. also, some of the human-type characters in the beginning/end movies of the Kingdom Hearts series, and those are parts of games. Square, and Square-Enix which they became, have fingured out how to make humans work, as well as create photo-realistic environments a few years ago. granted, many of the characters come from anime, so many features are exagerated slightly, but in certain parts, they look very realistic. why is Pixar not able to match that level?
Yeah, I think Squeenix when I think realistic characters too (though perhaps not realistic hair...). I would question whether or not it's a matter of Pixar being able to, or Pixar wanting to match them, though. I suspect they could develop that kind of technology if they wanted to - they certainly seem to have the chops for texture and everything that Square does.

I wonder if part of it is the different inherent audiences for animated fare in North America and Japan? I mean, most people still assume animated = kids here, which lends itself to the more stylized 'cartoony' characters; Japan does not suffer from that problem.
~ Caroline