No More Foie Gras at WDW

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

rodders
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

No More Foie Gras at WDW

Post by rodders » Oct Mon 13, 2008 11:27 am

Anyone catch the story about Foie Gras being dropped from the upmarket restaurants at WDW?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... 9885.story

I have to say that I'm glad that they have taken this step.
1980, 2000, 2005 and 2008 all had plenty of magic. Hoping for a bit more in 2010.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Oct Mon 13, 2008 2:19 pm

I read about it on some other Disney site, I think it was a blogging type of site. I'm not a fan of duck so part of me is glad that it's off the menu if I ever get a chance to visit.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Oct Mon 13, 2008 2:34 pm

nothing like a good old slice of duck liver to really rev-up my palate... (/sarcasm).
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Oct Mon 13, 2008 2:59 pm

WHAT!? They are banning foie gras? js3901, it is not just duck liver, it is the liver of a duck that has been fed by a tube down its throat pumping in around 1,000 grams of mash in roughly 30 seconds. There is nothing that tastes better then the torture and suffering of waterfowl.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Oct Mon 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Odd decision. I'd be a little surprised if it was really Disney bowing to some lobbying for duck rights, really. They've had a lot of people against them for various things over the years (Southern Baptists, anyone?) and it's never seemed to bother them in the past.

Maybe it's just too expensive and doesn't sell very well? Or maybe it's 'out'. Do we have any foodies in here? :lol: The idea at the end of the story - that it's part of the healthier eating business - seems the most likely to me, personally.

I don't like liver in any of its forms, so I won't cry any tears over the loss of fatty goose liver.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Oct Mon 13, 2008 5:18 pm

I saw this issue maybe a year or two back when Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger made it illegal in California. It doesn't sound too appetising to me. But if Disney's decision is because of the abuse of the animals and not monetary, then why not stop selling turkey legs, chickens, steaks, pork, hamburgers...Just about every animal we consume is abused.

P.S.
I am not a vegetarian, I am a carnivore.

js3901

Post by js3901 » Oct Mon 13, 2008 5:20 pm

in reality, it's probably the money that's the main factor. Foie Gras is fairly expensive from what I remember (I worked in a high and fancy hotel which served it). it's also not a really popular dish, from what I've seen. what with the economy as it currently is, it seems like one of those items that could be easily phased out...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Shinku
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Shinku » Oct Mon 13, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm going to echo js' statement. While it can be a nice compliment to particular dishes, it's not overwhelmingly popular and is pretty expensive to keep on hand, especially because it goes bad quickly.

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Oct Wed 15, 2008 10:21 am

can't help but laugh when i hear things like Pamela Anderson claiming the treatment of the chickens at the KFC plants is horrible. :| perhaps we can create a hospice for chickens and ducks alike. make them feel better, before we eat them.

SAY NO TO SAD MEAT! only eat the happy stuff!
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

rodders

Post by rodders » Oct Wed 15, 2008 10:38 am

Just like the French when they refuse to eat frogs legs unless they have Happy Feet - Watch out Kermit :mrgreen:
1980, 2000, 2005 and 2008 all had plenty of magic. Hoping for a bit more in 2010.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Oct Thu 16, 2008 12:20 am

I personally didn't even think about ordering it when we were at California Grill.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

rodders

Post by rodders » Oct Thu 16, 2008 4:32 am

I hear what Croaker is saying because all meat comes to a grizzly end before coming to our plates but I do feel that we have a duty of care to these animals whilst they are alive. Ramming a tube down their throats and filling them with massive amounts of food is not how I want my food to be made to taste nicer.

Croaker

Post by Croaker » Oct Thu 16, 2008 9:32 am

how about in a box? veal anyone? I like veal but prefer a Rib-eye! tube stuffed duck...no thanks. I agree with Rod, but you have to wonder...who thought this stuff up? imagine two butchers hanging out one day.......~Chuck & Bob, Butchers of Fleet Street~

"hey Chuck...I'm kinda tired of waiting for this duck to eat and digest his food, what say we take a tube, cram it down his throat and force feed him." "that way we can kill it quicker and see how it taste"

"Bob, you got a good idea there. let me find a tube and see how it works." "while i'm getting the tube, why don't you take that baby cow over yonder and box it up, i'm thinking we can box him, feed him then the shipping will be real easy!"

.....and so the story goes, next these guys will have you spending thousands on something as simple as fish eggs.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

IMFearless

Post by IMFearless » Oct Thu 16, 2008 5:36 pm

I always thought it had something to do with grass. <_<
()()()()
___..._
|...|.. V
+-+--+ The wildest ride in the wilderness!
+-----+
()()....O

[url=http://ubdesigner.com]
Forwhating?
Hi everybody! I'm a corporate symbol!

jacksparrow
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by jacksparrow » Oct Fri 17, 2008 6:38 pm

Never cared for it....tried it several times...yuk. Give me a filet mignon...now we are talkin'.