Disney Store Catastrophe

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you like your Disney Store's merchandise?

No, I hate the NEW Disney!
93%
Yes, I love the New DISNEY!
7%

Total votes: 58

earningmyfins
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Disney Store Catastrophe

Post by earningmyfins » Jul Sat 19, 2008 11:34 pm

The other day I walked into my local Disney Store only to find that almost everything i LOVED was replaced. By what you ask? Hmm, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Camp Rock. I almost threw up in my purse. I was absolutely horrified.
When I was a little girl, the Disney Store had all of the original characters (Minnie, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc.) and all of the popular characters of that time (Ariel, Belle, Simba, etc.) Now there is more Camp Rock and Hannah than there is Mickey. Walt once said, "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse." um, can someone tell me where the mouse is hiding?
I'm sick of this generation, even if I'm the majority. Someone needs to talk some sense into this world...
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/k0mr2h.png[/img]

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Sun 20, 2008 12:17 am

I hate all the stuff that Disney has now like Hannah Montana, HSM and more. When I saw Power Rangers there, I was disgusted. I don't even consider Power Rangers Disney at all. I don't like it at all. I miss seeing nothing but Mickey Mouse or anything that involved something from the parks. Now it just makes me sick. We have to start searching for hidden Mickeys around the place with Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers taking over.

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Jul Sun 20, 2008 12:00 pm

There was always a cast member at the door saying "Hi" :mickey:
The stuff they had packing the shelves was a broad spectrum from all the Disney films.
They carried more expensive and exclusive items for "grown ups"(if thays the right expression for older Disney fans :lol:)
Those stores were great and they must have made money.

Nowadays it is more like someone emptied the floorspace then picked up an isle from Walmart and shoved it into the old store :evil:

Can you guess which way I voted?

Cazza and Livvie's Mum
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jul Sun 20, 2008 1:40 pm

I've asked some friends what is the first thing that comes into their mind when you say 'Disney'. Most people said Mickey, Snow White, Cinderella. I rest my case.

What happened to:

My Disney Store (it's gone)
The big plush mountain at the back of the store
Fun videos playing in the store (not trailers for forthcoming attractions).
The product knowledge that Disney used to pride themselves on.
The Magic
The Hidden Mickeys (not one to be seen since the refurb in the store I have to travel quite a way to)
A vast range of Disney characters (not just what is coming out on DVD/Cinema)

I've had my gripe, thanks for listening.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Sun 20, 2008 3:19 pm

From the sounds of it, I am glad my local Disney store closed a couple years ago. I shopped there a lot before they closed and almost bought them out when they announced they were closing. I was so upset that they had closed until I read this post, now I am greatful. It really is a shame, the Disney channel is nothing to the Disney Universe. Next thing you know, they will close IASW and convert it into a HSM attraction, flush with video screens and no animatronics.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Cazza and Livvie's Mum

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jul Sun 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Next thing you know, they will close IASW and convert it into a HSM attraction, flush with video screens and no animatronics.
Oh Saints preserve us all!!! As much as I like HSM and Hannah Montana etc I think Disney should stay as Walt wanted, full of faith, trust and pixie dust. Not hoops, hip-hop and hillbillies.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Sun 20, 2008 9:34 pm

I have to agree. My closest store closed after the holiday season last year to have a new location supposedly open up this spring... It never happened. However, the remaining stores that are around have changed and I can't stand it. I walk in and try to remember wher all of the good stuff went. I just hope they return to the basics now that Disney has bought back the Disney Store.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

earningmyfins

Post by earningmyfins » Jul Sun 20, 2008 9:46 pm

elizabethswann wrote:I hate all the stuff that Disney has now like Hannah Montana, HSM and more. When I saw Power Rangers there, I was disgusted. I don't even consider Power Rangers Disney at all. I don't like it at all. I miss seeing nothing but Mickey Mouse or anything that involved something from the parks. Now it just makes me sick. We have to start searching for hidden Mickeys around the place with Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers taking over.
thanks for all your GREAT replies. doesn't it suck that it's true. i'm sure that some kids today don't even know who mickey is. it's all Hannah and JoeBros. I'm truly sick of Disney.
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/k0mr2h.png[/img]

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Jul Sun 20, 2008 10:35 pm

They should start calling it the Disney Channel Store, because that's all that's in it - Disney Channel stuff. Gross. I went in there the other day to find some wall decor and there were a couple of posters in what I guess was the "Grown up Section" in a back corner tucked behind all of the Camp Rock/ High School Musical/etc stuff. And by "section," it was hardly a section - it was basically a couple of shelves. I wish there was more Mickey stuff. I bet if they showed the Mickey cartoons a couple of hours a day on the Disney Channel, they would be as big as they were when they first came out.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Jul Mon 21, 2008 2:18 am

While I agree that the new programming is crap, I wonder if this new incarnation of the Disney Store isn't more profitable. That's the beast we're always fighting.
On the surface there is hunger and fear. Men still exercise unjust laws. They fight, tear one another to pieces. A mere few feet beneath the waves their reign ceases, their evil drowns. Here on the ocean floor is the only independence.

Cazza and Livvie's Mum

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jul Mon 21, 2008 3:54 am

i'm sure that some kids today don't even know who mickey is.
I've actually posted a thread about my neighbour's son who didn't know Walt Disney was actually a person.

Sort your life out Disney Store and make it more DISNEY

Figment of Imagination
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Figment of Imagination » Jul Mon 21, 2008 11:40 am

All my Disney store seems to sell now is clothes, They got rid of all their wonderful moving plaster statues. Plush mountain, (which I never heard anyone else call it that before, thats so cute) is now gone. If they do sell any sort of toy it's just from whats coming out on DVD or in the Movies. and you can't even Play the Disney Store Challege anymore, most of ya know - its when you try to go to the back of the store touch plush mountian and have to return to front and go through the door without any sales person saying anything to you. Now the people working barely even look at you. I miss my old Disney Store :cry:

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Mon 21, 2008 2:01 pm

earningmyfins wrote:
elizabethswann wrote:I hate all the stuff that Disney has now like Hannah Montana, HSM and more. When I saw Power Rangers there, I was disgusted. I don't even consider Power Rangers Disney at all. I don't like it at all. I miss seeing nothing but Mickey Mouse or anything that involved something from the parks. Now it just makes me sick. We have to start searching for hidden Mickeys around the place with Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers taking over.
thanks for all your GREAT replies. doesn't it suck that it's true. i'm sure that some kids today don't even know who mickey is. it's all Hannah and JoeBros. I'm truly sick of Disney.
Plus I miss the old mountain of plush dolls. That's the part I'm always looking forward to because it's not hard to miss. Now it's just sad to see these ridiculous shows and people that might not have careers in the next five years take over.

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Jul Mon 21, 2008 2:19 pm

This way they're selling disposable merchandise (yay, Wall-E!). If you buy someone a plush Eeyore, it's still going to be relevant to them 25 years from now.

If you buy them something Hannah Montana, they're going to throw it out in a year and need a replacement. Makes good business sense at the expense of, you know, human dignity.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Mon 21, 2008 2:30 pm

I had thought of a long rant on this, but it's just too sad! :cry:
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage