"Walt Disney is a person?"

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Cazza and Livvie's Mum
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

"Walt Disney is a person?"

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jul Wed 09, 2008 12:37 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but, I am horrified :shock: My neighbour's son has just said "Are you sure Walt Disney is a person? I thought it was just a company".

I have had to educate the poor child, he has now gone home to Google him and find out more he's fascinated.

His mother has now gone home hanging her head in shame. She has admitted there isn't much 'magic' in her house. So Sad :cry:

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Wed 09, 2008 1:14 pm

I am sorry, but some people shouldn't be parents. If they aren't going to extoll the importance of a man like Walt Disney they should be steralized.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

bamato

Post by bamato » Jul Thu 10, 2008 10:22 am

agingerbugg wrote:I am sorry, but some people shouldn't be parents. If they aren't going to extoll the importance of a man like Walt Disney they should be steralized.
:lol: Seems a bit extreme dont ya think? lol. But I hear ya, I plan on raising my kids on everything Disney :)

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Jul Thu 10, 2008 10:37 am

agingerbugg wrote:I am sorry, but some people shouldn't be parents. If they aren't going to extoll the importance of a man like Walt Disney they should be steralized.
/sarcasm ?

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jul Thu 10, 2008 1:59 pm

That actually made me laugh a bit. I can see how a kid these days wouldn't think or know that Walt Disney was actually a person who is/was behind all the Disney things. Disney doesn't so much to help that perception.

GreenFairy
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by GreenFairy » Jul Thu 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Even if a parent instills Disney into their children, kids can think some crazy things sometimes. I was brought up on everything Disney, visiting the parks, watching every movie a million times, etc. But when I was a kid and a movie would come on, when Walt's signature would scroll across the screen, I thought it was just the company's crazy little swirly logo. It wasn't until I was about 10 years old that I figured out that it was his signature.
"No wonder you're late. Why, this watch is exactly two days slow."

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Jul Fri 11, 2008 11:57 pm

But when I was a kid and a movie would come on, when Walt's signature would scroll across the screen, I thought it was just the company's crazy little swirly logo. It wasn't until I was about 10 years old that I figured out that it was his signature.
Same here! I also knew that it was 'Disney', but didn't understand why they put a 'p' to replace the 'y' in Disney, so for most of my childhood, I thought it was 'Disnep.' Of course, now I see that it's just a swirly 'y.'
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: "Walt Disney is a person?"

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Sat 12, 2008 10:11 am

Cazza and Livvie's Mum wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but, I am horrified :shock: My neighbour's son has just said "Are you sure Walt Disney is a person? I thought it was just a company".

I have had to educate the poor child, he has now gone home to Google him and find out more he's fascinated.

His mother has now gone home hanging her head in shame. She has admitted there isn't much 'magic' in her house. So Sad :cry:
Somewhere Eisner is giggling his butt off and thinking his work is done, SUCCESS!!!! My boys are so Disneyfied, they E-mail me Disney stuff.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Sat 12, 2008 8:05 pm

I was brought up on Disney! And although my DH and I don't have any children yet, when we do, they too will be brought up Disney! My parent's started taking me at age 3, I plan to do the same! :) But, I know some parent's don't understand or appreciate Disney and the "Magic". My DH wasn't, but I've changed all that! He might even be a little more of a Disney nut than I now! I've created a monster! :mrgreen:

earningmyfins
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by earningmyfins » Jul Sat 12, 2008 10:44 pm

What's life without Disney. My parents took me on my first trip when I was 7 MONTHS! They told me this year that they never wanted me to live without Disney...

I haven't and I proud.

Seriously, if parents don't expose their kids to Disney than they're more likely to be tastless or creative...
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/k0mr2h.png[/img]

Cazza and Livvie's Mum

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jul Sun 13, 2008 5:05 am

I was brought up on Disney!
I can rmember watching the opening ceremony of WDW on TV while sitting on my Dad's lap, and asking him to take me there. He never got the chance to, he was too ill to travel with me on my first visit and died as we were planning our second. This has made me more determined to keep the Magic of Disney alive and keep going to WDW. As long as I have Disney in my life I'll always have my Dad with me. :)
My DH wasn't, but I've changed all that! He might even be a little more of a Disney nut than I now! I've created a monster!
My husband didn't get why we loved Disney so much, he understands now though. He is the one who is talking about our next trip before we've even boarded the plane to come home :lol: He also cannot understand why peoople with kids would not want to stay on Disney property, he reckons it's like dangling a carrot. :evil:

pkbabygirl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by pkbabygirl » Jul Wed 16, 2008 11:40 am

All I can say is poor child. Disney was a great man.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jul Wed 16, 2008 12:13 pm

I hope you at least explained to him that Uncle Walt died and is not frozen underneath Cinderella Castle. Google, Wikipedia, and the like can be informative, but can also contain ALOT of rumors/urban legends, factual mistakes and the like...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Wed 16, 2008 12:41 pm

js3901 wrote:I hope you at least explained to him that Uncle Walt died and is not frozen underneath Cinderella Castle. Google, Wikipedia, and the like can be informative, but can also contain ALOT of rumors/urban legends, factual mistakes and the like...
I was told by a close friend (who is a 17 year veteran at WDW)that Walt is at WDW. When he died they wrapped him with copper wire and he is now used as a power source. You see with all that's been going on with Disney he spins fast enough in his casket to generate electricity!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

js3901

Post by js3901 » Jul Wed 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:
js3901 wrote:I hope you at least explained to him that Uncle Walt died and is not frozen underneath Cinderella Castle. Google, Wikipedia, and the like can be informative, but can also contain ALOT of rumors/urban legends, factual mistakes and the like...
I was told by a close friend (who is a 17 year veteran at WDW)that Walt is at WDW. When he died they wrapped him with copper wire and he is now used as a power source. You see with all that's been going on with Disney he spins fast enough in his casket to generate electricity!
That's the first I heard this one. That's great...

But, I would think that the copper wire is a bad idea at this point in time, what with copper prices at sky-high prices. Could get top-dollar for it... :lol: :mrgreen:
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak