Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Mon 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:We have a Diser friend who saw it and said it's one of the best Shrek movies they have seen!!

How about Dances With a Pocahontas Avatar on a Dune in Fern Gully??
Oh, I love FernGully so much.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Dec Sun 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Okay, we saw it finally this weekend. I hate to say it but I wasn't a fan. Maybe I had higher expectations after "The Princess and the Frog" or maybe I just wish they'd return to handdrawn animation, but Tangled felt like a giant leap backward to me. Sadness. It was fun in parts, but not enough parts, and a lot of it was just a big mess.

Btw, since when did the state of Arizona become annexed to Bavarian Europe? (watch the movie and you'll know what I mean)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Mon 20, 2010 7:53 am

momeja wrote:Okay, we saw it finally this weekend. I hate to say it but I wasn't a fan. Maybe I had higher expectations after "The Princess and the Frog" or maybe I just wish they'd return to handdrawn animation, but Tangled felt like a giant leap backward to me. Sadness. It was fun in parts, but not enough parts, and a lot of it was just a big mess.

Btw, since when did the state of Arizona become annexed to Bavarian Europe? (watch the movie and you'll know what I mean)
Was the music good? One of my piano students just saw it and was raving about the music ~ in fact she told her parents all she wants for Christmas is Tangled stuff...cd, drawing book, etc...

momeja

Post by momeja » Dec Mon 20, 2010 3:23 pm

The music was very good, but Abaeja commented that the film didn't seem to trust the music. Several of the songs were shortened, and the reprise of "Mother knows best" was just spoken, not sung, despite the fact that Donna Murphy has an amazing voice.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Dec Wed 29, 2010 11:31 am

Momeja, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it... and I'm totally shocked. Was it a bad theater? Was it not in 3D? Were there a lot of noisy kids distracting you?
I gotta say, we saw it the other day and I was totally blown away. The 3D was incredible... as was the overall artistry... especially the "lanterns on the lake" scene where they're singing together in the boat. Simply beautiful in every way. The three main characters (Rapunzel, Flynn, and Mother Gothel) were very well done and quite believable... even Mother Gothel was made to look beautiful and somewhat sincere in her own way; a first for villainesses in Disney's history, I would say. And yes, the music was perfect! I'd have to say that the whole thing was almost revolutionary for Disney... a whole new direction in a good way.
Y'all, don't wait for it to come out on video... you gotta see it in 3D on the big screen.

momeja

Post by momeja » Dec Thu 30, 2010 7:50 pm

M-Dude, I can't decide if my expectations were raised too high after Princess and the Frog (which was fantastic) or if the lack of continuity just really got to me. Or both.

Midway through the mine surfing tidal wave sequence, I turned to Abaeja and said, "Since when was BTMRR moved to the heart of Bavarian Germany?" Ymmv, but stuff like that always bugs me because it shows sloppiness and laziness on the part of the screenwriters. And I expect better than sloppy from Disney.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Dec Fri 31, 2010 4:06 pm

momeja wrote:M-Dude, I can't decide if my expectations were raised too high after Princess and the Frog (which was fantastic) or if the lack of continuity just really got to me. Or both.

Midway through the mine surfing tidal wave sequence, I turned to Abaeja and said, "Since when was BTMRR moved to the heart of Bavarian Germany?" Ymmv, but stuff like that always bugs me because it shows sloppiness and laziness on the part of the screenwriters. And I expect better than sloppy from Disney.
Hmmmm.... you make some good points, and I can certainly see where you're coming from. But I loved Tangled anyway. :wink:
By the way, what does "Ymmv" mean...? :?:

momeja

Post by momeja » Dec Fri 31, 2010 5:22 pm

Mousekedude wrote: By the way, what does "Ymmv" mean...? :?:
Your mileage may vary. :wink:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Dec Fri 31, 2010 5:23 pm

momeja wrote:
Ah.... I love a clever turn of phrase... :wink:

momeja

Post by momeja » Dec Fri 31, 2010 9:23 pm

Mousekedude wrote:
momeja wrote:
That's mouse-ke-mileage for you. :wink:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 31, 2010 10:32 pm

Mousekedude wrote:
momeja wrote:
momeja wrote:That's mouse-ke-mileage for you. :wink:
Mouse-ke-mileage ~ I like it! That needs to go into the subictionary...
Does Ymmv really mean that mindflipper?!

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Jan Sat 01, 2011 9:39 pm

momeja wrote: That's mouse-ke-mileage for you. :wink:
Awesome... just awesome... you're totally cool, you know! 8-) :wink:

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jan Mon 03, 2011 2:36 pm

I have to agree with M-Dude on this one (you are really cool momeja). I left the theater after seeing Tangled and was VERY impressed. I even sent him a text saying that I was really happy with it. I can't remember the last Disney movie that made me do that. I didn't see it in 3-D or IMAX, but it was very enjoyable just the same. I was prepared for DisneyShrek and disappointment... instead I got a very entertaining story. I can't wait for the Blu-Ray release of this one.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Thu 10, 2011 9:44 pm

We finally got to see Tangled today...albeit, not in 3D :( But it was the only theatre still playing it in our neck of the woods. I have to agree with the boys on this one. I loved it! As much as I truly enjoy Princess and the Frog, the first time we saw it, I was kind of on the fence about it. The music was great, and nothing beats a hand-drawn film, but there were a few things that I had been iffy about.
Tangled, on the other hand, I thought was a cute story, and like M-Dude said, the villainess was almost as likeable and believable as the protagonist. I loved the music and the lantern scene was my fave! (I wish we could have seen it in 3D :( )

I have to say though, the dam scene made me totally think about BTMRR and I pray that there are NO ideas to "Tangled-ize" the attraction...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Thu 10, 2011 9:49 pm

MmeLeota wrote:...I have to say though, the dam scene made me totally think about BTMRR and I pray that there are NO ideas to "Tangled-ize" the attraction...
AHHHH! Perish the thought! :shock:
I haven't seen Tangled yet but I agree, we don't really need any more movie-plussing of attractions :roll: