Oswald the Rabbit is Back in the Fold!

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

delray
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Oswald the Rabbit is Back in the Fold!

Post by delray » Feb Fri 10, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi!
According to my local newspaper here in Chicago, the Disney Company has secured the rights to Walt Disney's old cartoon character, "Oswald the Rabbit". Some of you know that Oswald was one of Disney's original characters who he lost the rights to early in his career. The creation of Mickey Mouse might never have come about if Disney hadn't lost the rights to Oswald. The story said that the producers of the Olympics wanted to use announcer Al Michaels, who is currently under contract to ESPN, and Disney agreed to the swap for the rights to Oswald. Hope to see something of Osawald at the parks very soon!

Regards,
Delray

DebK.
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by DebK. » Feb Sat 11, 2006 3:13 pm

I didn't know this. Thanks!

zenmondo

Post by zenmondo » Feb Sat 11, 2006 4:58 pm

Here are some news stories about it.

Jim Hill Media

Sports Illustrated

The Seattle times

This is very exciting news. I would love to see the Silent Disney-Produced Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons on DVD.

According to the Jim Hill article, Oswald is currently very hot in Japan. It will be interesting to see if we get any Oswald merchandise in the states.

ttztotdca50
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by ttztotdca50 » Feb Sun 12, 2006 10:35 pm

Totally awesome! The weird thing will be that, if they do put Oswald in, say, a cartoon, it will surely look out of place next to the full-colored Disney characters (Oswald is in B&W)
Eleka Nahmun Nahmun Atum Atum Eleka Nahmun

Sub Ride Count: 1

Sarah Turp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Sarah Turp » Feb Mon 13, 2006 1:52 pm

Oswald is great! I'm sure they could find a good place for him in the parks somewhere without him looking too out of place. As for in a cartoon, they just need to bring out a DVD that only contains the old black and white cartoons. Then he would fit right in.
Stitch is Back!!!

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Feb Tue 14, 2006 1:12 pm

Even if they never use Oswald... grabbing Walt's original successful cartoon character in a deal where the principle is a football announcer? Way to go, Iger. (or whoever brokered the deal... though Mr. CEO will get credit...)
~Steve

disneydreamer12
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by disneydreamer12 » Feb Sat 18, 2006 11:50 am

I can't wait to see what they're going to do with him. Or more importantly, if they decide to update him, will he get a voice, and if so, who?
I'm a loud long lean loquacious and sometimes laphonic lunatic who loves to deal delve and dable in delirious dialogue and dynamic disertations.

zenmondo

Post by zenmondo » Feb Sat 18, 2006 1:06 pm

After Oswald left Disney, he did get a voice, the first one to voice Oswald was Mickey Rooney.

disneydreamer12

Post by disneydreamer12 » Feb Sat 18, 2006 5:07 pm

Mickey voicing Oswald, very interesting.
I'm a loud long lean loquacious and sometimes laphonic lunatic who loves to deal delve and dable in delirious dialogue and dynamic disertations.

zenmondo

Post by zenmondo » Feb Wed 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Jim Hill Media has another article up abou Oswald.

Looks like there is little chance seeing Oswald on DVD, as so few of the Disney-Animated Oswald shorts survive to this day. :cry:

stev02
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by stev02 » Feb Wed 22, 2006 2:40 pm

This is fantastic news!! Although odd circumstances with the trading, but let's not forget we are now able to grab a piece of history and put it back. :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.d-cot.com][img]http://www.d-cot.com/images/d-cot_button.png[/img][/url]

realcal
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by realcal » Feb Sun 26, 2006 3:50 pm

I cannot imagine that Al Michaels was that valuable to NBC to equal a trade for a commodity that is so valuable to Disney. It will be interesting to see how Oswald is re-interoduced to some, and unvailed to many younger Disney fans. Hopefully it is done more prominently than through merely a DVD release.

It is a great history lesson of how you can rise above any "setback" and succeed to amazing levels. Just think if Walt Disney had never been pushed out on his own.

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Feb Mon 27, 2006 11:33 am

Oswald had very little value to NBC and Michaels will have great value to them. Unless Oswald can become a super hero or some other high action figure he (sadly) won't have much appeal for younger Disney fans. But this deal is significant in that Universal almost broke Walt Disney when he lost the rights to Oswald and it was actually ABC that saved Disneyland from just being a dream on paper when they agreed to invest in the project in exchange for the Walt's Disneyland TV show. How ironic that years later Disney buys out ABC.

realcal

Post by realcal » Feb Mon 27, 2006 12:07 pm

Conversely, Michaels had very little value to Disney/ABC and Oswald held great historic value for Disney, irregardless of whether younger viewers are interested or not.

swarlock
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by swarlock » Mar Wed 29, 2006 10:23 am

zenmondo wrote:After Oswald left Disney, he did get a voice, the first one to voice Oswald was Mickey Rooney.
I read elsewhere that Mickey Rooney didn't do Oswald. But it's nice to have him back. :D
Friendships are a blessing. Don't waste it on people who can't appreciate it.