WDW on Black-ish Season 3 Premiere

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

WDW on Black-ish Season 3 Premiere

Post by horizons1 » Sep Fri 23, 2016 11:02 am

In the first episode of this season's Black-ish the family goes to Disneyworld. Now, I am not naive and have seen many-a-show where product placement is prominent, including plenty of Disney/ABC tie-in shows. In fact, as a Disney nut, I look forward to watching these shows just to see scenes shot in my favorite places. But this particular time was shameless. It was as if the writers took the week off and Disney's marketing department stepped in to write the show.

The plot was so contrived as to be little more than an excuse for the cast to mention various selling points of a WDW vacation. Here are just a few of the most egregious promotional plugs masked as dialogue that I can remember:

1. Diane, the daughter, in making fun of brother Jack's height and his distress at only being able to go on kid rides, tells him that is alternative is to enjoy 43 square miles of shopping and dining. Really? A kid says this?!
2. Andre, the dad, asks his VIP tour guide what the most popular ride is so that they could mention Frozen Ever After by name. And then they didn't even go there.
3. They mention that the family is staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and then reference going back to enjoy the resort several times during the show.

The show actually made me uncomfortable to watch. No small feat for a Disney fan. Did anyone else watch this? I'd be curious to hear if I am alone in my opinion.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: WDW on Black-ish Season 3 Premiere

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 23, 2016 11:46 am

Wow ~ that actually sounds painful. I used to watch some of the shows if I knew they were going to be at the Disney parks just to see the parks. I never cared for the show Black-ish, so I didn't even really try to watch it. If I remember correctly from the first few episodes I did watch, the little girl was a little precocious, so I suppose I could see a comment like that, but it sounds pretty contrived. I did see a few posts on Facebook when they were taping the show so I'm pretty sure they were there after the new Frozen Ever After opened. I wonder if they couldn't justify the disruption filming would have caused in that popular attraction?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: WDW on Black-ish Season 3 Premiere

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Fri 23, 2016 8:13 pm

My guess is that 2 happened due to the dark setting of the ride would be impossible to light without looking terrible and they would then need to get clearance from people to use audio and visuals from the movie/score. Though, since they would also want to film when crowds are manageable, and weather doesn't suck, it might have not been done. I wouldn't be surprised if they were supposed to have stuff for Rivers of Light (which supposedly is happening next month) that had to be cut out.

But yeah, when they are going from "Black Lives Matter" to "WDW Vacation Promo Mode" it probably doesn't mesh well, just like every ABC sitcom tried in the 90's. :D