They made a Disney album?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

They made a Disney album?

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Apr Mon 13, 2015 4:57 pm

Around Christmas I listen to an online radio station that has a "They made a Christmas album?" stream, filled with an odd assortment of music.

In that same vein, I've stumbled across a few Disney albums by people I wasn't expecting. Has anyone else found any that surprised them they'd like to share? How did you find them?

To start things off:
1. Mannheim Steamroller Meets the Mouse - I found this one around Christmas when I was listening to one of the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas albums and looked up their wikipedia page. It listed a Disney album! I found it on youtube and it's really good! I really like their version of Under the Sea.

2. Michael Crawford, The Disney Album - This one I found at the library when I searched for Michael Crawford after watching The Phantom of the Opera anniversary concert with Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom. I listen to Karimloo's CD and thought I'd to compare his style to the original Phantom (Crawford). There's a nice version of "Reflection" as well as "If I Never Knew You" where his duet partner is Sherie René Scott, who was Ursula in The Little Mermaid on broadway. It's unfortunate it's such a short CD, but the cover is a nice throwback to a familiar Walt photo. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NVM7BPYXL.jpg

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: They made a Disney album?

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 13, 2015 8:42 pm

I've had the Mannheim Steamroller CD for several years. Haven't listened to it in several years either so can't even tell you what is on it.
One of the more obscure CDs I have would be O Mickey Where Art Thou ~ songs done in the style of O Brother Where Art Thou ~ those are sort of fun.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Apr Tue 14, 2015 5:13 pm

Amy wrote: One of the more obscure CDs I have would be O Mickey Where Art Thou ~ songs done in the style of O Brother Where Art Thou ~ those are sort of fun.
Neat! I'll have to look that up.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Apr Thu 16, 2015 9:02 am

Two of my favorite albums, both available on iTunes:

Louis Armstrong, Disney Songs the Satchmo Way - Particularly good are "The Bare Necessities," "Heigh-Ho" and "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah."

Dimi Cat, Once Upon a Dream - French singer with a beautiful voice does really fun versions of Disney tunes. Standouts are "Friend Like Me," "I Wanna Be Like You" and "You Can Fly."

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Apr Thu 23, 2015 8:16 am

my folks have had the Mannheim Steamroller album for years and fondly remember it from my childhood. I found some "Punk Goes Disney" album on youtube a few weeks ago and well...was mildly excited about my find......but my lord it was awful. Needless to say it wasn't punk and they butchered every song they touched. I died a little.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Thu 23, 2015 10:02 am

TikiTikiRoom wrote:my folks have had the Mannheim Steamroller album for years and fondly remember it from my childhood. I found some "Punk Goes Disney" album on youtube a few weeks ago and well...was mildly excited about my find......but my lord it was awful. Needless to say it wasn't punk and they butchered every song they touched. I died a little.
Had to check out a few of those on youtube ~ not my kind of music anyhow, but yeah, I didn't care for any of the ones I clicked on ~ Under the Sea showed a little promise until they started singing :(