Okay now Disney 3-D is getting ridiculous

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Okay now Disney 3-D is getting ridiculous

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sat 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Just wait until The Great Gatsby in 3D! (That is actually happening)

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Jan Mon 30, 2012 3:38 am

I'm planning on seeing BatB in 3D this week. Not sure if I will like the 3D aspect, but I thought TLK in 3D was nicely done. Mainly I'm just excited to see it in any form at the theater; I never made it to any of the re-releases, so the last time I saw it on the big screen was when it first came out!

Ditto for Mermaid. I am most excited for that. It's the first movie I clearly remember going to see (multiple times) when I was little, and to date it is still my favorite Disney movie.

cinderella75
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by cinderella75 » Feb Wed 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Not just Disney. Its everybody doing movies in 3D. They are bringing back old movies to do in 3D and make more money on the same movies. Cant anybody come out with something fresh and new?? :wave: :pluto: :ccat:
When you BELIEVE and have FAITH, WISHES and DREAMS do come TRUE :-)

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Feb Sat 04, 2012 6:50 am

Fresh and new movies are great and important. I personally am pretty sick of animated sequels, aside from the Toy Story trilogy. And 99% of the direct-to-DVD ones were straight out embarrassing.

But I do think it's nice that Disney is getting back in the re-release game, 3D or no 3D. I just hope they eventually put movies like Sleeping Beauty back on the big screen too!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sat 04, 2012 12:44 pm

That probably won't happen because the gen x/y parents didn't grow up with them in theaters, so there isn't as much nostalgia.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Sat 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That probably won't happen because the gen x/y parents didn't grow up with them in theaters, so there isn't as much nostalgia.
Agreed; in fact, that generation seems to be the least enthused with the current 3D movie trend...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sat 04, 2012 1:35 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:That probably won't happen because the gen x/y parents didn't grow up with them in theaters, so there isn't as much nostalgia.
Agreed; in fact, that generation seems to be the least enthused with the current 3D movie trend...
And today's gen (not sure what their moniker is) has 3D tv in their homes so to them, 3D movies are just movies.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Feb Sun 05, 2012 4:39 pm

I'll be the voice of a different opinion here: I honestly don't care whether they're in 3D, 2D or something else entirely. The opportunity to see these films on the big screen and in a movie theatre again is priceless to me, and I'll happily pay to see every single one.

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Feb Mon 06, 2012 9:04 am

momeja wrote:I'll be the voice of a different opinion here: I honestly don't care whether they're in 3D, 2D or something else entirely. The opportunity to see these films on the big screen and in a movie theatre again is priceless to me, and I'll happily pay to see every single one.
That's how I feel too.

Then again, here movie prices Monday-Thursday are $5 for regular format movies, and $10 for 3D movies. If I were in a more expensive movie market area, I would probably have more of an issue with it.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Mon 06, 2012 1:22 pm

darn that is cheap, if I recall the matinees here (regardless of day) is $11, though the upcharge for 3D is only a dollar or two (though you get it back as cash if you see it in Imax, I really don't understand that).

The charge is basically just the theater charging extra, possibly to help pay down the cost of the projectors, since the glasses were free to them.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Mon 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:darn that is cheap, if I recall the matinees here (regardless of day) is $11, though the upcharge for 3D is only a dollar or two (though you get it back as cash if you see it in Imax, I really don't understand that).

The charge is basically just the theater charging extra, possibly to help pay down the cost of the projectors, since the glasses were free to them.
...for now. Didn't the studios want to stop the "free" 3D glasses deal?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 06, 2012 2:14 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:darn that is cheap, if I recall the matinees here (regardless of day) is $11, though the upcharge for 3D is only a dollar or two (though you get it back as cash if you see it in Imax, I really don't understand that).

So, if you go to a 3D movie, and buy the glasses, do you have to buy the glasses at the next 3D movie or can you re-use the old ones? Would the theater charge you extra for the glasses anyhow? And would the glasses work with your 3D tv at home?

momeja

Post by momeja » Feb Mon 06, 2012 3:08 pm

SorcererDonald16 wrote:
momeja wrote:I'll be the voice of a different opinion here: I honestly don't care whether they're in 3D, 2D or something else entirely. The opportunity to see these films on the big screen and in a movie theatre again is priceless to me, and I'll happily pay to see every single one.
That's how I feel too.

Then again, here movie prices Monday-Thursday are $5 for regular format movies, and $10 for 3D movies. If I were in a more expensive movie market area, I would probably have more of an issue with it.
Where do you live, SorcererDonald? I thought they got rid of prices that low years and years ago.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Mon 06, 2012 3:10 pm

mindflipper wrote:

They do and are, but you were still being charged for them before they stopped.

I don't think theaters care if you try and bring back used glasses (well re-re-used) they will still charge you. No, they will most likely not work with 3D tvs at home unless they are using the same format. Just as 3D glasses used for muppet vision, eo, toy story madia, will not work for star tours.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:... Just as 3D glasses used for muppet vision, eo, toy story madia, will not work for star tours.
Star Tours uses a different sort of 3D? Is it a different sort of filming technique?