Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 16, 2011 8:13 pm

MadEye wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
MadEye wrote:They have already named the writer for the 5th movie...
Maybe so, but Depp's current contract deal with Disney only includes POTC4.
Depp has said he'd be "willing to do it" when asked about a 5th and possibly 6th film.
But "willing to do it" and "signed to do it" are two different things.
Amy wrote:I would guess he gets a lot of money for these films so he would be silly to turn them down!
He's got tons of money. It truely depends upon what else they can offer to sweeten the pot. For instance, he has purchased the rights from the Dan Curtis Estate the rights to do a movie based upon Dark Shadows, and he's got Tim Burton lined up as a possible director. Now, where to get the financing? Now that could be a pot sweetener....

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 17, 2011 1:49 am

You would be surprised how little else matters beyond money. :D At least he doesn't demand that he keep all ships used in production.

I think the one franchise Disney got royally screwed on would have to be Dick Tracy, apparently Beatey owns the rights to the movie production and all attempts to make another have been shot down by him becuase he wants money.

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Josh Q » Jan Mon 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:You would be surprised how little else matters beyond money. :D At least he doesn't demand that he keep all ships used in production.

I think the one franchise Disney got royally screwed on would have to be Dick Tracy, apparently Beatey owns the rights to the movie production and all attempts to make another have been shot down by him becuase he wants money.

Really?!? I was just thinking about another Tracy film the other day. That sucks.... :(
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Mon 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Really? I thought the first film did moderately well, and aside from oscar nomination for Pacino, I didn't think it got that great reviews from the critics.

Then again, the Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy was the worst panned film in years by the critics, and yet we're doing another Haunted Mansion film, so what do I know?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 17, 2011 2:11 pm

It didn't do as well as Disney would have wanted, they were shooting for a series like Indy. You can even find concept art for the attraction they wanted to build. The problem is that aside from the film/tv rights being tied up in courts, Beatey seemingly is going to take those rights to his grave at this point.

Haunted mansion as the worst panned film? Clearly someone hasn't seen Norbit. :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Mon 17, 2011 4:28 pm

As far as just Disney films goes, ithe HM was the worst in years; Norbit was Paramount I believe. Every studio wants a successful franchise series like HP or Twilight, but finding the next big one isn't that easy. Percy Jackson died at the box office, so I don't expect there to be a second. Disney dumped Narnia. I guess they're lucky to have POTC.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Even with all the planing in the world it still partially relies on luck to get a long term franchise.

I never understood why Disney/Fox stuck with Narnia after the first one, if I recall it didn't do poorly but it wasn't anything memorable.

I saw Percy Jackson on HBO a few weeks back, if that is true to the books he's kind of a douche, especially when he murders his step dad during the credits.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Mon 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Besides POTC, I wonder what other franchise series that Disney could try to turn into theatrical releases?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 18, 2011 12:14 am

Off the top of my head canceled or in development movies included Tomorrowland and Jungle Cruise

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 18, 2011 12:42 am

Now that I think of it, there's the "Magic Kingdom" about the entire park, rumored to be knock-off idea of the Night at the Museum.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 18, 2011 2:21 am

Oh, forgot about that. Did they cancel it or is it still in pre-production?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 18, 2011 3:12 am

mindflipper wrote:Now that I think of it, there's the "Magic Kingdom" about the entire park, rumored to be knock-off idea of the Night at the Museum.
Would it be sort of like Kingdom Keepers?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 18, 2011 9:43 am

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Now that I think of it, there's the "Magic Kingdom" about the entire park, rumored to be knock-off idea of the Night at the Museum.
I have no idea (I don't know anything really about the Kingdom Keepers). There was a separate topic thread about this posted somewhere.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jan Tue 18, 2011 11:25 am

mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:
I have no idea (I don't know anything really about the Kingdom Keepers). There was a separate topic thread about this posted somewhere.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6631&hilit=magic+kingdom+movie
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 18, 2011 11:40 am

mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:
Yeah, I know about the book only through the thread on the forum ~ then I got the books from the library and read them (and won a copy with an essay I wrote :D ) I was just wondering if there was an rumors about it being made into a movie. It just seems like the Kingdom Keepers would be an obvious movie idea, but maybe it wouldn't translate well to the big screen. It could be more of a straight to DVD kind of franchise...sort of like what it sounds like some of the Pirates movies could have been. I've only seen the first one so I don't know anything about the next two to have an opinion other than what I've been reading and seeing other places...