Disney Store Catastrophe

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you like your Disney Store's merchandise?

No, I hate the NEW Disney!
93%
Yes, I love the New DISNEY!
7%

Total votes: 58

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Tue 09, 2008 11:29 pm

MintJulepRoo wrote:
Once TCP's warehouse of merchandise is empty, there are strong rumors that they will start getting in stuff that the parks have.
I would actually be sad if the Disney stores in the mall got merchandise that the parks have. The unique quality would vanish as well as the excitement of shopping in the parks. I like the fact that park merchanise is not easily accessible. If they had to stock Disney Stores all over the country with the same merchandise as the parks, the product quality would go down just like what has already happened in the Disney stores. It would depress me to walk in the Emporium and say, hmm I already got that at the mall...
I tend to agree with you on that. I really enjoy that part where you get to see all the new merchandise that Disney has when you walk into any store in WDW. I guess only time will tell as to what happens. Let's just hope things get better and the stores go back to the classic look!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Sep Thu 11, 2008 9:12 pm

the disney store by me isnt that great. But im also spoil by the disney store at Downtown Disney. Since i live kinda close, at times i just drive to Downtown Disney for the Disney Store instead of going to the one near my house.
MintJulepRoo wrote:
I would actually be sad if the Disney stores in the mall got merchandise that the parks have. The unique quality would vanish as well as the excitement of shopping in the parks. I like the fact that park merchanise is not easily accessible. If they had to stock Disney Stores all over the country with the same merchandise as the parks, the product quality would go down just like what has already happened in the Disney stores. It would depress me to walk in the Emporium and say, hmm I already got that at the mall...

I agree with what you said. I would be sad if i bought everything at the store and then went to WDW and cant find what i don't have.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

btharvey
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by btharvey » Sep Fri 19, 2008 7:38 am

I must admit, I regret not being able to buy a Pluto bathrobe for my daughter because it's all Camp Rock, Hannah Montana, HSM X. But they finally aren't stupid. They want to make money, and that's what sell.

I wish you could get them online, however, even if they're not in the stores. they'd have a slow but steady order stream if they were the only source.

Ah well ....
--
B. T. Harvey
Leonardtown, MD USA
Periodically Trailering to Fort Wilderness

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Sep Fri 19, 2008 8:09 am

The shift in merchandise has happened for a long time there though, even before Children's Place bought the stores. I remember the merch choices being watered down prior to that sale. After it happened though, all the quality went down-hill. :\

Of course, nowadays, there's only one store in my area that's even still open! :( The oldest, original stores in Michigan are gone. And the one that's left is close-ish to me, but not at a mall I generally even go to. But of course, with the merchandise choices being what they are, there's no reason for me to go either.
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

pixiesparkles
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by pixiesparkles » Sep Wed 24, 2008 10:25 am

For whatever it's worth, I think that the "new generation" of Disney fans can still be in love with the magic of the true Disney spirit. I have three girls - 15, 12, and 9 years old. True, they are into the whole HSM and Jonas Brothers, and of course, that stupid Hannah Montana. But before my Disney store closed earlier this year, that store was THE STORE of choice for any shopping day for many years. Why? Because of the princess toys (Cinderella...Ariel), Pirates t-shirts, Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals from the stuffed animal mountain, etc. A while ago, when we were shopping for school clothes, we headed to our Disney store destination, only to find out it had closed. The girls were so disappointed....the first words out of their mouths were "where are we going to find that big stuffed Eeyore....now I can't get any cool t-shirts for school....oh no, this is the only place where we can get the Belle doll". They could have cared less that the store had started carrying some of the Disney Channel stuff last year. In fact, as the inventory had been slowly changing over, that became a complaint...not something to look forward to. My girls, LOVE all of the classic Disney stuff (yes, some of the new stuff too). Their final response...well, I guess we have to head on down to Florida to get our dose of WDW!!! (Now, I am definitely up for that idea...

pkbabygirl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by pkbabygirl » Sep Tue 30, 2008 11:22 am

What Disney store? All of mine are gone.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Tue 30, 2008 12:17 pm

The merchandise used to be alot better. They sure don't have much for adults anymore. They used to have great decorations too. Maybe someday we'll get the old Disney back? :|

jiminycricket
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jiminycricket » Oct Thu 02, 2008 4:04 am

The store, at one time, had a Disney World feel to it! But now its just a store with Disney Stuff in it. One employee told me that Disney did not operate their store. sounds like the Disney Channel.

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Nov Mon 03, 2008 4:22 pm

I've got an update and it's GOOD NEWS! My sister went to the mall yesterday and came back with some Disney ornaments for the tree this year and she reported to me that the HSM and Hannah Montana junk was all on sale for 50-75% off and that the classic Disney stuff was starting to trickle back in. Since I don't have class on Mondays, I decided to go over to the mall and check it out.

And, I'm happy to report that you can definately tell that the transition is happening!! :D The real Disney stuff (Tinkerbell, Mickey, Minnie, etc.) has prime placement on the floor with the HSM, Jonas Brothers, and all other stuff that we don't care about pushed to the extremities of the store. I bought a Goofy doll and a few Christmas ornaments. Also, their Christmas decorations/ornaments (so far) were all classic Disney characters (I got one of Jiminy Cricket, one of Aladdin and Jasmine on a carpet, and one of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald in a hot air balloon) - no Hannah Montana, HSM, etc. I told the girl at the counter how happy I was that Disney owns the Disney Store again and she agreed with me and told me how more classic Disney christmas characters/decorations will be shipped in in the coming weeks. Yay!! :D
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Josh Q » Nov Mon 03, 2008 4:29 pm

BOOOOOOO Too much Hanna Montana poster, Johnny Depp Pirates lamp shade, power rangers stuff! :( sad sad times.
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Mon 03, 2008 5:34 pm

I'll take the Johnny Depp Pirates lamp shade over all the other junk that's being sold at the stores.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Nov Mon 03, 2008 5:50 pm

I just wish we could get our Disney Store back. It has been gone for four years now. :(
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

treasure hunter
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by treasure hunter » Nov Tue 04, 2008 12:23 am

Ours has been gone also for four plus years, and it was a sad day!!!!!

sherabby
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by sherabby » Nov Tue 04, 2008 8:28 am

We still have a Disney Store and I'm upset that there is not much selection at all for adults. very little clothing. Our HSM, CR, and HM stuff is still there and I sure hope we get some Mickey back soon!
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1251097102.jpg[/img]

dopeyone
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by dopeyone » Nov Sun 09, 2008 1:52 am

sadly all the Disney stores by me closed this past year, we went from 3 stores within a 15 mile radius to 0! The nearest is now 150 miles away! I miss the stores, even if they sold garbage!