MY Disney Store is gone.

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sun 11, 2008 11:45 pm

My local disney store closed right after the holiday season. They said that there will be a new one opening up around summer 2008. So far I have not seen anything for it coming soon. It was kept in the old style whcih is what I really liked a lot about it. As for all the other Disney stores in my area, they have been changed over to the red new design. The most recent one to change over opened up in a new location and has the big red mickey ears. It just is not the same. However, they do still sell the Disney Dollars there. IMO, the only good thing left there.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

nancynohorse
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by nancynohorse » May Mon 12, 2008 9:06 am

When people say the "old style," which version do you mean?

When I worked there, the colors were teal, pink, purple and white. The carpeting was a dark color with purple and pink colored stars and confetti looking stuff. :mickey:

Then, they remodeled to have a more blue and gold look which was a LOT brighter.

It's too bad the Stores got so big that they're not on the down-slide. :(
[b]-nancynohorse[/b] :mickey:

kristen
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kristen » May Mon 12, 2008 10:31 am

nancynohorse wrote:When people say the "old style," which version do you mean?

When I worked there, the colors were teal, pink, purple and white. The carpeting was a dark color with purple and pink colored stars and confetti looking stuff. :mickey:
Yes, that's the old style decor. My store has never been redone, and neither has the one in Poughkeepsie, and they're both closing.

My mom has to go to the doctor in Poughkeepsie on Wednesday, so I'm going to ask if I can go with her and then we can go check out The Disney Store before it closes. I have two really comfortable 3/4 sleeve shirts that I just got at the West Nyack store (Tinker Bell and Alice [with the hookah smoking caterpillar]) and there's a third that has Snow White on it and I'd like to see if I can find one in my size on sale/clearance. I wear an extra-small, so it's kind of difficult to find, but I found these two, so I can be hopeful.

skull
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by skull » May Mon 12, 2008 12:27 pm

The closest one to me, in Moncton New Brunswick, Canada is closing. it was about a 2 hour drive, and $40 bridge toll away. The next closest one is in Halifax Nova Scotia, about a 3 hour drive, and a $40 bridge toll away! :/
[img]http://www.adamandshannan.info/skull/skullsm.jpg[/img]

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » May Wed 14, 2008 4:08 pm

I noticed all the Disney Stores in the Boston area closed a few years back. First the one in the South Shore Plaza and then the one in Fanueil Hall downtown. Don't even know where the closest one is now. Maybe Lake Buena Vista?

bigthunderlover
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by bigthunderlover » May Sun 18, 2008 4:27 pm

I wonder what they're going to do with all of the figurines that line the walls at ceiling level and in the front windows.
The figurines will go up for auction either on exclusive disney sites or on ebay. Yah ebay... pretty low for Disney but pretty awesome for us!! I asked my manager if we as castmembers working at the store for like ever would have preferrence over the average joe, she said no. We as the store workers are not resposnsible for distribution of the figures once the store is shut down.
I'm hoping Disney will open another one now that they own it again.

I highly doubt that. If so, it wouldn't be for a looooong time.

And just a heads up for those of you that are super stoked about the re-purchase of the stores:
The Childrens Place has the next six months of merchandise on order to be shipped to the still remaining Disney Stores. So all the true Disney merchandise won't be available for a while. But to get rid of the CP stuff there will be sales. And rumor has it that Cast members will be wearing the Pin Trading Lanyards again, no word yet on when, but it is comiing.
I had always wondered whether or not it would be worth it to get a part time job in the Disney Store but I'm going to leave that until they are owned by Disney again.
Oh yah, it'll be official in about a month. We just got done with the main paperwork. No matter what though, it's worth it to work there. You are constantly surrounded by people who are huge fans like yourself and you get to say that you are a cast member. And trust me if you don't live close to the park it's the best thing you can get. lol! But for new castmembers the discount dropped from 30% but for veteran Cast members it rose from 30%.
Either way it's your choice whether you want to work there or not.
I do stuff sometimes.

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » May Thu 22, 2008 10:35 am

So sad, I went to the mall last night and my disney store is closing as well. :( I talked to the manager and she said the one about 20 miles away will still be here though. What a bummer that was one of my favorite stops when I went to the mall.

nancynohorse

Post by nancynohorse » May Thu 22, 2008 4:21 pm

casrin and I went to the last local Disney Store today, which is 12 mi or so away from us. We figured we'd go mall walking there, so it was a double bonus. :lol:

The manager said that they are once again owned by the Walt Disney company, but that they are one of four remaining stores in Michigan! :mickey: :shock: The other 3 are WAY out of our area, so this one is it as far as Disney Stores go for us! He said that the liquidations of the other stores in the area were done by a third party and remarked at how sad it was to see how the third party was handling the merchandise.

He said the CMs have made their voices loud and clear to Disney on the need for adult t-shirts and merchandise, when we asked about that.

Of all the stores there had been, I guess only a few more than 200 will remain, nation-wide!

I'm glad they are Disney-owned again, but its sure sad how limited they'll be now!
[b]-nancynohorse[/b] :mickey:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sat 24, 2008 12:44 am

I was just at the Disney store outlet in NJ today. And found some great deals. I recommend taking a look for some cool sales.

Ex: The big floppy lucky for $35.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

QuickGold
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by QuickGold » May Sat 24, 2008 4:11 pm

I really think the Disney stores have some excellent values out there, especially the stuff for the home.
Matt

[b][url=http://www.studioscentral.com]Studios Central[/url]
[url=http://www.wdwtoday.com]WDW Today Podcast[/url]
[url=http://www.towerofterror.org/tower.html]TowerOfTerror.Org[/url][/b]

metsofny
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by metsofny » Jun Sat 14, 2008 4:49 pm

My Disney Store is not closing. But it has been redone. It kinda looks like a childs place, it has lost all its Disney flare, and it stopped selling many products. I don't go there much anymore. :cry:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Sat 14, 2008 5:19 pm

Ours closed also. Now the nearest store is either in Atlanta or Nashville. At these gas prices, I'll just wait till we go to WDW or have my buddy pick up what we want at DTD.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

HakuOni
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HakuOni » Jun Sat 14, 2008 8:57 pm

thats so sad. mine closed about a year ago. :(
Such a sad day in deed.

Cazza and Livvie's Mum
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jun Sun 15, 2008 4:56 am

My local Disney Store has closed :( and we travelled to a one a bit further afield. I'd seen on the UK Disney site that they would be selling Crocs in store sooooo Off I went with my six year old daughter and asked an obviously new and enthusiastic CM if they had any Crocs. She yelled back 'Yes!' and ran off to the back of the store and proudly came back with.... Yes you've guessed it a Crocodile from Peter Pan!!! My daughter almost collapsed and peed her pants laughing, I then explained to the very red faced :oops: CM that I meant shoes not plush and she apologised and said the would be stocking them soon. :wink: :lol:

Figment of Imagination

Post by Figment of Imagination » Jun Sat 21, 2008 4:20 am

My Disney store is still There, But They got rid of all the cool stuff, Especially The cool stuff, now it all clothes. I can Remember back in the day Playing The Disney Store challenge. The Object was to get to the back to the store without anyone saying hello to you. Sounds easy right? But to all those that remember, It wasn't that easy. It was a lot of fun though :!: