What's your favorite Disney detail...

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

JWG
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by JWG » Mar Sun 30, 2008 7:41 pm

Everest, the key under the mat.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Apr Mon 21, 2008 7:26 pm

I just discovered a new subtle design element I thought was cool. In the Europe room of WDW's "it's a small world", for the most part, the British Isles are on one side of the boat, while Continental Europe is on the other side. I thought it was a neat nod to actual geography. Sort of like the boat is sailing through the English Channel especially since France is on the very corner. The Engand, Scotland and Ireland scenes have more of an island feel to them too with lots of (flood)water inbetween and around them.

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Apr Tue 22, 2008 9:32 am

I love that stuff...like in World Showcase how America is in the middle and Mexico on one side and Canada the other (there's a ton of cool things like that in World Showcase) one other nice touch i like is all the debris in the bench area outside of the Swiss Family Tree House....debris like the shipwreck not like real trash. laugh
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

luv2cthemouse
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by luv2cthemouse » Apr Tue 22, 2008 12:50 pm

All of the smells, air and such that are piped in.

MintJulepRoo

Glowing

Post by MintJulepRoo » Apr Thu 24, 2008 12:32 am

I am in love with Disney lighting. Night time is my favorite time to be in the park. The lighting really sets the atmosphere and makes the story more realistic. New Orleans Square in Disneyland is my favorite at night.
"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Re: Glowing

Post by spaulo » Apr Thu 24, 2008 10:43 am

MintJulepRoo wrote:I am in love with Disney lighting
I don't think this can possibly be overstated. Disney has some of the best lighting designers anywhere working with them. No one can do outdoor/architectural illumination like Disney can.
~Steve

parkhopper26
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by parkhopper26 » May Wed 14, 2008 5:32 pm

i love the ambient music payed at the wilderness lodge, it is so majestic but also soothing at the same time

bamato

Post by bamato » May Tue 20, 2008 9:29 am

I love the smell of the fog on PoTC. Brings back lots of memories. I guess it isn't really a detail that Disney "made" per say, but it developed over the years.

If I had to be specific on the "touch" of Disney, it would have to be small attention to detail they use on ride queues to keep you occupied while you wait. I could spend hours waiting in the queue for Indiana at Disneyland just looking around for fun stuff. :mickey:

figment34786
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by figment34786 » May Tue 20, 2008 4:52 pm

I love the little tributes to old attractions in the ones that replaced them.

For example, one is that if you look in the finale of Imagination, you can see Figment holding up "One Little Spark" sheet music. On that sheet music near the top, is a tiny silhouette of Dreamfinder's dream mobile (the big blimp thing!) It's a nice touch.

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » May Tue 20, 2008 9:05 pm

That finale room is full of tributes to the original! :D

BTW, does anyone know if the figement standing on the planet is the original (repainted) figment from the science scene or just a replica?

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jun Mon 16, 2008 11:56 am

In the Haunetd Mansion, as you were descening from the attic, does anyone else remember the shutters on the window to the right blowing around in the wind? They got rid of this effect sometime in the late '90s and I don't remember if they got it to work again in the most recent refurb.

At first I thought I had imagined this as a kid, but someone else mentioned it on another website. How many people actually noticed this detail?

edit... I actually don't remember if they were being blown off or if they opened and closed, but it defitiely looked as if they were ready to fall off the house from all the movement.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jun Mon 16, 2008 3:32 pm

Oh wow, if I saw this post sooner I would have contributed. There are quite a bunch I love/noticed over the times I've been to Disneyland.

1. The tombstones in the Haunted Mansion especially the pet cemetery. Those are amazing.

2. The crocodile in the bayou part of Pirates of the Caribbean. You have to look close enough to see it since it's pretty dark.

3. The train going through the shooting gallery because I would always think it was the Disneyland Railroad though we shoot at it. :oops:

There are probably more but those are the only ones I can think of for now.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Mon 16, 2008 10:13 pm

My favorite detail is the bar of soap with mickey on it. It is one of those small things that reminds you that you're in disney when you are washing your hands or taking a shower.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Cazza and Livvie's Mum

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jun Tue 17, 2008 3:16 am

I love the Hidden Mickeys, I adore the smells - too many to choose a favourite. I love every inch of Disney, some bits more than others. I keep thinking that they can't impress me anymore and next time I visit they blow me away again!!! :shock: Walt Disney was definitely ahead of his time.

danimal3114u

Post by danimal3114u » Jun Tue 17, 2008 10:20 am

One of my favorites is the shooting star in the Blue Bayou / Pirates at Disneyland. I say the Blue Bayou first because generally it shows up in about a 5 minute cycle, so it's rare to see it while your in the boat. But while you're eating at the Bayou you can see it quite often.
I always loved watching it as a kid, and it's just such a cool little touch that really shows how much care and thought they put into everything. I mean come on, who could think up to put a lit shooting star animation on the cieling of an attraction that is usually just painted black to cover up all the vents, etc? It's truly a piece of Disney magic and imagineering :mickey: